What's new

Bulldog handle - Maggard vs Ikon vs Weber vs Italian Barber vs others?

I am looking to replace the R41 GS' handle.

Which one would you recommend? Quality/finish, weight, grip, etc. They all look, more or less, the same to me.

I read Weber is out of business. I am including it to gather thoughts (in case I can find one online).

Thanks!

Have you looked at Italian Barber? Or post a WANT TO BUY on WTB Sub-Forum, we got people heavy on handles.

Thanks for reminding me about Italian Barber, I edited the title accordingly.

I'd post on a WTB on BST but I am not sure which one I want to begin with.

I have a Weber Bulldog handle as well as a few RazoRock handles. The Barber Pole, the UFO, the HD, the Bar and Thin Bar handles.

Handles small.jpg

The Weber is second from the left. It is 79.3 mm long, 12 mm in diameter at the smooth places and 13.3 mm where there is knurling. It weighs 68.8 g. The specs for the RR handles can be found on the Italian Barber's website. They are all shinier than the Weber. As far as grip goes, I'd say the RR Barber Pole is the grippiest followed by the Weber. The other RR handles feel the same to me and are all plenty grippy. I'd almost say the Barber Pole and Weber are extra grippy approaching that point where making minor grip adjustments during a shave takes a conscious adjustment rather than just happening naturally.

My own preference as far as razor handles goes is generally for shorter and lighter. The Thin Bar handle is my favorite of all of these. I know you are looking for a Bulldog handle so it's probably not applicable but I just thought I'd mention it. Good luck in your search.

I found this one on Amazon from BBNY&Co. if comes with a unbranded R89 head. $19.99

It is 97mm / 100 gr. I love it, I am telling you whatever brand you go with, go long and heavy. I thought I liked my R41, since upgrading it is effortless. So much more control. It’s hard to use any other razor.

IMG_0474.jpegIMG_0304.jpegIMG_0454.jpeg

@velocityboy

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I did say bulldog but I am open to anything. Shorter than the R41 GS with some heft would work great. Those are all beautiful handles. I'll look into them.

@Eshebert

Thank you, I'll look into it. The R41 GS handle I have is touch under 10.5mm. The BBNY&Co handle at 9.7mm could work. Ideally 8 to 8.5mm would be better.

I am looking to replace the R41 GS' handle.

Which one would you recommend? Quality/finish, weight, grip, etc. They all look, more or less, the same to me.

I read Weber is out of business. I am including it to gather thoughts (in case I can find one online).

Thanks!

Italian Barber definitely has a good selection of handles. The Ikon is very comparable to the Weber Bulldog handle in size and weight. You could also put up a WTB post on the BST… Weber handles seem to at least wind up on here every now and then

Top Bottom