What's new

Bulb vs Fan

It really comes down to personal preference. In general the bulb shape knot may have more backbone, less splay and get less of a bloom than the fan shape. But you have to factor in density, loft etc as well. Many prefer the fan shape as being easier to use with less problems with lather retention. On the other hand the stiffest, most lather retentive brush I ever owned had a fan shape. To me loft and the right amount of density is more important than the shape of the knot.

It really doesn't affect performance at all. Performance characteristics comes from the grade of hair in the brush, how much hair is in the brush, and the height of the loft. A bulb or fan shape at the top of the hair really has no affect on that.

I have no real preference and both styles work fine for me. If you prefer a dense knot, you'll find that it really has nothing to do with the shape of the knot as there are dense brushes in both fan and bulb shapes depending on the brand.

I find that fan shaped brushes have a larger final "bloom" and can feel larger on the face. Other than that, it's all personal preference. I have some of each and enjoy them all!

Top Bottom