What's new

Build Or Buy A New Desktop?

Guys, help me choose between buying a new desk top or building one. Each has its advantages. Currently I am using a Dell E-310, 2.8Ghz P4, 1Gb RAM, 500Gb Seagate hdd, running XP Media Centre Edtion 2005. Truth to tell it has been a darned good machine. Yet it is finally getting to the point it cannot run things like Playon Tv without SIGNIFICANT loss of performance. It barely makes Playon's self test after install. Add any other app usage and it comes to a standstill. So while the old beast still operates okay I want to relegate it to secondary use by the kids or maybe make a media server out of it.

So where would you look? Dell, Hp? How about work station vs regular desk top? Is there really a difference anymore? Used to be work stations were made from better components and more top end performance components as well. They each offer differing series but do not do a great job explaining what each one does best.

If I build my own the cost of the OS comes into play big time. If you buy Windows 7, and I have to as you will see, the retail is ridiculous. I am able to buy Windows 7 Ultimate through my work for $69.99 which is fantastic but it is an upgrade and I suppose does a scan of your system to see if there is a qualifying OS on there already to upgrade from. I am not sure if a clean install can be done without prior install.

I/O ports. Say what? Why am I concerned about this rather than the latest processors, hard drives, etc? Well all that other can fall in line pretty easily. One thing I find a royal pain with modern pcs is this idiotic hanging on to stuff like PS/2 , serial, and parallel ports. And before anyone gives me the business about "but what if I need to diagnose abc problem and the usb won't work?" Really? For about a decade now you can launch any modern pc to the BIOS with nothing more than a keyboard(usb is fine here. if it won't work here it ain't working after you boot) and do a good bit of diagnostic work from there. Typically if you cannot get to safe mode you won't get the thing booted to normal windows anyway. So for me having a good assortment of a/v type I/O ports is the way to go. HDMI, USB 2 & 3, Firewire, e-Sata, and assorted analogue and digital audio is just great.

Other features would of course be plenty of sata ports for hard drives and optical drives. No PATA for me. RAM would be as much as I can stick in it. Most new boards will easily accommodate 8Gb so that's easy.

I saved the processor and chipset for last. I do not keep up on latest and greatest and do not want it in my new machine no matter who builds it. My experience has been that last year's processors and hardware still outperform the software currently available and you get a significant reduction in costs. Multicore seems the way to go but do I want duo or quad cores? If so, which series of Intel would you personally like? I will stick to Intel here since this machine will be doing some heavy lifting with Playon media server app and a bit of DVD ripping. So going the AMD route with their super efficient, low wattage draw chips is not necessary. At least till I build a set top box.:001_rolle And the chipset. I have no clue as to where this stands today. I know since the chip makers were able to essentially bundle 1080p HD graphics right on board a couple of years ago that built in graphics have come a long way. I do no gaming whatsoever so the hotrod graphics are no issue for me. Media rendering would be the target.

So given the possibility I cannot get the OS at a great price, does it just make sense to buy a maudlin, $500-700 pc from one of the usual suspects and be done with it? BTW, I would be adding a 20-24 monitor or tv to the system so that will add some cost. I lean toward a tele since the newer ones are fully monitor capable. Or am I missing something on that count? Thanks guys.

Regards, Todd

I have always built my own computers.
Been a couple years since I built my last puter. Windows 7 was just released.
I would go to Newegg site and check out what is currently popular. That would give you an idea on components. And maybe get a good buy on some components.
The best advice I can give you is, buy a good power supply! It will save you a lot of problems down the road.

Mostly I,m running Linux or using iPad2. So I am a little out of the loop.

Last edited:
You can usually get an OEM version of Windows 7 from Newegg for $91-189 (Premium to Ultimate). You won't be able to use it with another computer if you get a new one and you'll have to support it yourself, but it'll work for what you need. It's a bit of a gray area as to how "legal" this is but almost everyone I know that builds computers uses these.
As for your hardware requirements I'd say to find a nice i5 chip in your price range. Load up on DDR3 RAM and hard drives, 2TB is going for well under 100 bucks these days. I really don't know Intel too terribly well so I won't recommend a motherboard or the exact i5, but will say that most of the builds I'm seeing for mid range computers come with some version of it.

I would go with a dell. Upgrade what you want upgraded. Then buy there holy **** premier package warranty. I have it for my laptop, should anything happen to my laptop it is covered. I drop it, I spill coffee on it, it gets blown up by a nuke, set on fire, implodes creating a black hole that destroys the known universe, etc. And yes multicore is the way to go...I would get as big of one as possible. If anything the dell is worth the extra cost vs building your own because of the warranty.

If you have the know-how I say build, you can customize it to exactly what you want and get more for your money.

I built my own earlier this year, was the cheapest way to go to get what I wanted.
  • ASRock M3A770DE AM3 Mobo (cheap/stable little sucker and tons of settings to tweak)
  • 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600
  • XFX Radeon 5770 1GB DDR5
  • Antec 600w modular PSU
  • WD Caviar Blue 500GB
  • Lite-On dvd burner
  • Antec 300 gaming case (nice cheap case with great stock cooling)
It's not the top of the line/cutting edge but it does what I need it to, which is surf the net, watch HD stuff and some moderate gaming. I already had a Viewsonic 23" 1080p monitor and a copy of Windows 7, and of course a mouse and keyboard..so that saved some cash. With some tweaking it turned out to be a beastly little thing for only $425 and it has decent headroom for upgrading...something a manufactured pc, such as a Dell, usually doesn't have.

Newegg.com is one of the best places to get computer components, I used to custom build computers and used to have accounts with computer component distributors. They where a little cheaper but not by much.

It all depends on how much you wanna spend you can sign up for neweggs daily deals I usually see 2tb hard drives for less than 100 dollars now.

already built pcs

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=10&name=Desktop-PCs

they have good bundles where you can get a better deal on a mobo cpu combo. if you are a student you can purchase windows 7 from microsoft for 29 bucks. or maybe one of your kids can buy it. (college students only)

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...2dc5cff-cb3f-48ff-8afa-2c0de2a05fbecspMhxcH0F

if you wanna purchase a notebook, get an asus brand, their higher end notebooks come with a free 2 year bomb proof warranty. They'll fix it for free.

I wouldn't buy a brand name computer, they are cheap crap, most components these days come with 3 to 5 year warranty's from the manufacturer.

Mobo brands to purchase These brand come with at least 3 years warranty

Asus
Gygabyte
MSI

Memory brands to buy

Corsair

CPU to purchase

Intel or AMD 2 cores are fine unless you're gonna do rendering

Get a quality brand name power supply. I have a PC power and cooling brand I think corsair bought them out. If you get a crappy power supply your computer will fail. its a very important overlooked component and the cause of a lot of computer failures.

Hard drives to get

I like WD or Seagate. Get the ones that are made in Malaysia and not china. Most of their Hard drives come with a 5 year warranty.

DVD or Blu ray is up to you, Ive had good results with LiteOn drives. Ive purchased tons of them.

Video card ATI (amd) or NVidia are good. get a good brand like unless you're getting integrated.

Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Evga.

good luck :wink2:

PS, I would NEVER buy a desktop from the store I MUST build it my self.

Last edited:
I am very much so for doing custom builds. While i generally price out high end systems for gaming/video editing (friends as i do no editing myself) a quality mid range system can be gotten on the cheap if you know where to look for parts. Windows OS are pricy, there are a lot of ways to find it discounted like you mentioned through your work. It is possible to install an upgrade on a blank hard drive but it is not technically within legal bounds according to windows terms of service. Not to mention it is a far bigger pain than it is worth. All in all if you want to be able to customize what you do and do not want on your system and control the cost go custom. If you find a good cheap computer in a store that meets your needs there is nothing wrong with getting it.

I will mentions however if it has been a while since you bought a new computer you will find out instantly on start up how they manage to cover their cost of a windows OS, there will be all kinds of bloatware preinstalled on almost every new computer you buy in a store.

I am very much so for doing custom builds. While i generally price out high end systems for gaming/video editing (friends as i do no editing myself) a quality mid range system can be gotten on the cheap if you know where to look for parts. Windows OS are pricy, there are a lot of ways to find it discounted like you mentioned through your work. It is possible to install an upgrade on a blank hard drive but it is not technically within legal bounds according to windows terms of service. Not to mention it is a far bigger pain than it is worth. All in all if you want to be able to customize what you do and do not want on your system and control the cost go custom. If you find a good cheap computer in a store that meets your needs there is nothing wrong with getting it.

I will mentions however if it has been a while since you bought a new computer you will find out instantly on start up how they manage to cover their cost of a windows OS, there will be all kinds of bloatware preinstalled on almost every new computer you buy in a store.

that's why store bought computers are so cheap, the manufacturer gets paid by the bloatware companies to have their software installed on those computers. and all the components only come with a 1 year warranty from the actual component manufacturer as well.

Wow guys. Thanks for the fast replies. And yes, it is all that ruddy bloatware, one off drivers, hacked...err I mean tweaked factory OEM Windows install that just drives me nuts. And I had forgotten how good most manufacturers had gotten with warranties on components. Every time I look at Dell or Hp's warranty prices I just shake my head. Two to three hundred dollars for the bulletproof warranties. I don't know. I will have to look at this pretty carefully. I think the i5 suggestion is pretty much the current trend. BTW, Newegg is your imagination's best friend. However, your wife will hate the place. At least when she see's the credit card bill. I love that place. And Dustmite, I will check your link.

Regards, Todd

Just a couple thoughts that come to mind.

Forget HP. Rumor has it their ditching consumer products soon.

If you're looking at $600-700 for a name brand PC, that won't get you all that much. My general rule of thumb is buy up, so it has the best chance of lasting you the longest before it becomes obsolete and lagging behind.

Alienware makes some pretty sick systems. Higher end and geared towards entertainment, yet only a few models are in the stratosphere of price.

If you build, it's your baby, your problem and your labor. If you don't mind all those things, go for it. Otherwise get one customized by Dell, Alienware or the like. You still get to control whats in it. And with, at most, the same amount of work, you can rid it of its manufacturers BS and make it function your way.

Just my thoughts. Whichever you do good luck and have fun with it!

Anybody who has built computers knows it is kind of like this shaving thing.
Couple of spare everything laying around.:001_rolle
Plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you built your own system.

I like to build my computers so I can repair/upgrade them if needed/wanted, along with getting what I want in 'em to begin with. I agree with the previous posts ... OS cost sorta nullifies savings.

I hate having proprietary stuff ... its gotta be this exact same component to fit/work. Drives me crazy w/laptops!

I agree with Doog, there is a satisfaction building your own computers. Hey, get some custom labels that say Built By Your Name for the front of your custom machines ... cost me about $10 for 20, but well, worth it for ego & bragging purposes - especially, if you have a know-it-all brother-in-law like one of mine!

Check out computergeeks.com . Get on their emailing list.

Good luck!

I haven't bought a desktop in 10 years...it's just so much cheaper and more fun to build your own (and I'm no tech genius...I was really nervous the first time, and then wondered why).

And you get exactly what you want. I have a lovely built in card reader that takes everything but Isolinear Chips, a dvd drive set for the US and one set for Japan, a couple of massive HDs, more RAM than I can lift, and it cost about 40% of what I'd have had to pay to configure and buy from anywhere I could find online.

I've built my own in the past. But sites like slickdeals.net and woot.com have some good deals on manufactured ones and the prices for things have come down considerably. I don't really follow that kind of stuff anymore. I could make one if I wanted but I'm not sure how much money you actually save as long as you buy smart (i.e. don't drive to Best Buy with cash in hand).

newegg is great!

If you really want to get the best bang for your buck, and things made easy, look up the recent system builds on tomshardware.com. They tell you exactly what to buy and choose the best rated component in that price range. I use a 500$ "gaming" rig from about 5-6 years back and I'm really happy with it. It rates middle of the road on the computer speed rater program thing I occasionally use, which is very good for and 5 year old system.

Top Bottom