What's new

Buffed fingernails on a guy?

OK or does it come across as effeminate*? Not talking high gloss but just enough to but a bit of a sheen.

*Don't get me wrong, if that's the look someone is going for have at it.

Granddaughter got ya huh?
It was cute when the niece was 8, crazy Deja vu when she grad cosmo school...
(I liked the clean cuticles though; yet, disappears way too fast.)

Thanks for the input.

Funny, just watched the Sopranos episode where Paulie was getting a manicure. Still an awesome show!

No granddaughter (no kids for that matter), just been taking better care of myself lately including spending a bit more time on my nails other than just clipping them.

I had a co-worker who used to sell jewelry. he was a very masculine guy, but said when he sold jewelry he routinely got a manicure and had them buffed. You want your hands to look good showing rings

I went though a period a number of years ago when my fingernails got really rough with grooves. I decided to get some nail buffs and smooth them out on my own. They got much smoother, but not really polished. Something changed over the years and I no longer need to sand them smooth.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve heard some say manicures are cool for dudes. Pedicures....not so much.

I’ve never had either. Not opposed to it though. I’m just a biter of fingernails.

Pedicures are awesome! When the weather permits I wear sandals a lot & even in the winter I'm often barefoot around the house. Nasty feet (on me or anyone for that matter) skeeve me out so I go a couple of times a year to have the hooves tidied up.

proxy.php

I'm going to the the only old fart that says it's going too far.

Clean and trim: yes, a must. Buffed and polished, nope.

I had the nails on my right hand manicured a few times to keep the nails usable for classical guitar, saved the day, the left hand, i'd bite the nails off to keep them usable for fretting the guitar.

dave

Clean, clip & file works for me.. It's good to take care of yourself..but when the glitter & polish come out I don't want to hear any silly excuses.

I had the nails on my right hand manicured a few times to keep the nails usable for classical guitar, saved the day, the left hand, i'd bite the nails off to keep them usable for fretting the guitar.

dave

I also play Classical Guitar and since I manicure my right hand for plucking, and strumming, I always do the nails on the left hand while I'm at it. I do put strengthener on them (looks a bit like clear polish), to keep them from breaking. The strengthener is much better than what happens when I break one, as then I have to cut a bit of ping pong ball which I super glue in, and I shape it so I can play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also play Classical Guitar and since I manicure my right hand for plucking, and strumming, I always do the nails on the left hand while I'm at it. I do put strengthener on them (looks a bit like clear polish), to keep them from breaking. The strengthener is much better than what happens when I break one, as then I have to cut a bit of ping pong ball which I super glue in, and I shape it so I can play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was a lifelong nail biter, an expert, until i started classical lessons and stopped biting them just like that. Tried to trim the left hand with curved nail scissors, trimmers, what have you, the control i had with my teeth surpassed the tools so i went back to teeth trimming on the left hand followed by a nail file. And will teeth trim the right hand if there's a break. Did the ping pong balls and super glue as well for emergency repairs.

Been a number of years since i played the classical, my downfall began when a started building tube guitar amps, i've gone over to the dark side and my nails get battered.

dave

I was a lifelong nail biter, an expert, until i started classical lessons and stopped biting them just like that. Tried to trim the left hand with curved nail scissors, trimmers, what have you, the control i had with my teeth surpassed the tools so i went back to teeth trimming on the left hand followed by a nail file. And will teeth trim the right hand if there's a break. Did the ping pong balls and super glue as well for emergency repairs.

Been a number of years since i played the classical, my downfall began when a started building tube guitar amps, i've gone over to the dark side and my nails get battered.

dave
I never play steel strings at all, also I was never a nail biter, I am dubious that biting your nails is good.

I file and shape my right hand, and both hands get filed, cuticles trimmed, and I apply a treatment to my nail beds, and then I put the strengthener on.

The ping pong ball is quite a good fix though it falls out after a while. I just keep gluing it in when I practice, the tone is even good enough for recitals.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom