What's new

Buffed fingernails on a guy?

I don't buff mine but when I was polishing cars by hand I ended up with pretty shiny nails. You could see a definite line where the new nail grew out and I hadn't polished any cars since!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I had the nails on my right hand manicured a few times to keep the nails usable for classical guitar, saved the day, the left hand, i'd bite the nails off to keep them usable for fretting the guitar.

dave
You still play classical, Dave? I am really thinking of getting a Cordoba C7 this year and starting lessons.

You still play classical, Dave? I am really thinking of getting a Cordoba C7 this year and starting lessons.

It's been a few years now Owen. I did take lessons as an adult for maybe 10-12 years, played two weddings, did some recitals but i couldn't find the angry, pissed off, paint peeling notes i was looking for and ended up putting my time into making tube amps and pedals to make noise with my electrics.

I did make a classical guitar from scratch that i'm very happy with but i think in terms of acoustic stringed instruments the cello is more suited to my disposition, also would have been a blast to try and make one of those, as is my wont.

I pulled out one of my classicals before Christmas and was getting the itch but now my nails are continually messed up and abused, every time they look to be getting close to useful i mangle them again. No regrets regarding the time put in over the years, was a very relaxing, peaceful, fun activity, (unless prepping for a engagement) learned tons.

Have fun with it, never too late to learn!

dave

I haven't in some time ... but I love getting a manicure. There's something about it ... particularly the hand massage. It destresses me so well. I don't think I ever had my nails buffed though ... just trimmed, cleaned up and then the hand massage.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
A buff and a coat of clear polish are fine with me. In a handshake town like D.C., pols, lobbyists and nearly everyone else--D or R, prog or conservative--gets regular manicures. That said, the most important thing one can do to make a good impression is brush one's nails with soap and water. (It's one of those little things that women check out.) JMHO, of course.

To each his own, by all means, but it's entirely a matter of personal preference and has a lot to do with your profession and day-to-day activities. Personally, I'd be laughed out of the building if I showed up to work with clear polish on my nails. SWMBO would not approve of glossy nails on her man, either.

Clean and buffed nails are a requirement for manly men - like lumberjacks.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok . . ."

I sleep all night and I work all day

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

To each his own as they say. I wouldn't mind getting a manicure. Heck I'd like to try a pedicure too. Trim em up. Put that cuticle oil on them. But putting clear polish on them is a bit over the top for me. Frankly, I don't know anyone, and I mean anyone, that does that. But after doing it once, I probably wouldn't do it again as there are many more things I'd like to spend my money on and my time doing than sitting in a chair while some woman works on my nails. Well, on second thought if Gal Gadot or Kate Beckinsale were doing my nails, I'd sit for them as long as they would like. :drool:

Cutting your nails leaves sharp edges, and these can scratch you or other people.

It’s a good idea to buff the cut edges after trimming, make them blunt.

Accidentally scratching or raking someone with a sharp nail is a very awkward moment, socially.

Cutting your nails leaves sharp edges, and these can scratch you or other people.

It’s a good idea to buff the cut edges after trimming, make them blunt.

Accidentally scratching or raking someone with a sharp nail is a very awkward moment, socially.

This thread is over a year old. I believe the intention of the original post had to do with men buffing the surface of their nails, not smoothing the edge of their nails to prevent scratching themselves and others.

If you're going to have "pretty" nails, you might as well go all the way and use eye shadow, base and lipstick.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
When I was in Beauty Skool I got a manicure all the time. There was a Russian girl that could barely speak English that buffed my nails and did a fantastic job of it, but she got so upset when I declined the matte polish that I just let her do it. My male friends gave me a hard time, but where is the harm in having a beautiful woman hold my hand for a half hour or so? Lol

coincidentally, a russian girlfriend of mine taught me how to take care of my cuticles and another one noticed that my cuticles were always pushed clean. needless to say mayhem ensued.

This thread is over a year old. I believe the intention of the original post had to do with men buffing the surface of their nails, not smoothing the edge of their nails to prevent scratching themselves and others.

Whoops, I misread! My first necropost. Sorry everyone!

When I noted that the thread was over a year old, I only mentioned that so he would realize that it might not draw a lot of new content related to the original post.

My comment was primarily related to the difference between buffing the edge of fingernails (which I assume is common) and buffing the surface. I assume buffing the surface is not a common practice with men, but I did do it about ten years ago when my nails got really streaky.

Top Bottom