What's new

Buffalo Horn - Started Sanding - Have Questions

So I get this bright idea - making scales out of buffalo horn right?
Seems kind of interesting - now, just now - I realize that I have no idea how to finish sand and polish this stuff. Doh..
Compounding my issue is that the design has a lot of curves in it.. I just worked them to a decent state with 220 followed by 240. I plan on going to 280 then 320.
At that point I figure I'll drill the pivot pin hole and put in the wedge. The wedge will be bone - another material I never used before - but I think I can get it in without too much difficulty.
After that I'm out of plans... should I keep sanding it down - 400, 600, 1k, 2k? Then what? What's the popular polishing compound for this stuff?

I go 220, 320, 400, 600 800, 1K, 1.5K, 2K and then buff with white rogue. On the inside I just go to 800.

After all you can apply Ren wax for additional shine and protection but be very careful if you do that with Dremel like tools because heat can cause scales to bent.

Thanks for the heat tip - If I can fix my design I'll be uber-cautious. I ran into a design flaw and today I'm going to try and figure it out.
Having said that - if this one dies on the workbench I'll be seriously annoyed with myself for not seeing the whole picture before I started cutting/shaping. I can use the experience to make the next attempt fly, but I would really like to at least salvage this one.

Live - learn.

Top Bottom