What's new

budget SCAD/SSAD

With the exception of the last three months, I've always kept my shaving costs to a minimum. I started shaving during the Atra period and it was easy to get a whole shaving rig going with some canned goo, cartridge blades and razor for well under $10.

As I got into wet shaving, I started with a puck of Colgate or Williams and a $5 boar brush, which I used for over 10 years. I didn't like the idea of spending more than I absolutely had to. I did make a welcome soap upgrade to Surrey/VDH once I discovered that. Only once did I splurge on a Harris stick and I remember cringing when I made an order for three Conk pucks because they cost three times what Williams did.

Then a few months ago I discovered B&B and SMF and all that went out the window. I have RAD something fierce, way outpacing my newbie abilities.

At least I'm sticking with the frugality principal with soaps and creams. I"ve only made one expensive (for me ) soap purchase, which is Tabac (haven't tried it yet, though). I've also picked up some Bigelow Proraso very cheap, some Star and Rose Lifeshaver sticks for $1 apiece, ARKO and Derby. Now I've got a small backlog of soaps and creams to work off, but at least it cost only about a tenth of what I spent on razors.

I've still got my eye on one or two more, though...:blush:

I think I'm set up now for a seasonal rotation. I'm saving the Tabac for fall/winter (bad timing on my part). I'm almost done with one of the Lifeshaver sticks and then I'll probably either the Proraso or Arko for summer.

I figured that Tabac would be a great value. I've just been such a frugal soap buyer that it seems like a big outlay for me. I'm not losing any sleep, though. I'll report on my experiences as I go along.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I think I'm set up now for a seasonal rotation. I'm saving the Tabac for fall/winter (bad timing on my part). I'm almost done with one of the Lifeshaver sticks and then I'll probably either the Proraso or Arko for summer.

I figured that Tabac would be a great value. I've just been such a frugal soap buyer that it seems like a big outlay for me. I'm not losing any sleep, though. I'll report on my experiences as I go along.

If you don't mind using a cream, Musgo Real would be a nice bargain acquisition at $9.00 a tube at Caswell Massey. Great scent suitable for Summer (or any season for that matter) Not to mention the lanolin that leaves the face nicely smooth!

Tabac is awesome. However, one tip. Use it the way lathering is described in the shaving soaps forum on here, as that way it'll last forever. Don't build lather on the puck, because then you can use it up very quickly (I used mine up that way in about 3-4 months).

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
If you want to be frugal, there is a nice soap that would last you a long time, smells great and would only cost you 15 cents per shave, coupled with a blades that will cost you 6 cents per shave and a razor that costs you about .14 cents a day to use. That's 35 cents a day. That's $2.45 a week. Now that's frugal.

This is the set up I am talking about. That's right. You can get the Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet soap for about $55. A Gillette Fatboy for $50(like the one pictured below. Thanks to fatt_tony for the pic) and a box of 100 IPs (which should give you a solid 3 shaves per blade) for about $18.

So there you have it. Not a bad set-up for only $2.45 per week. :wink:

Btw, how about a nice brush. :biggrin:

Im getting some SSAD myself, waiting for mama bear to re set up. Other then that I am looking into tabac myself. I feel bad that I just missed the group buy :*(

cents a day? i have a 1,5 euro stick of "vergulde hand" and it only has a small dent after 2 months of use. i think ill loose in one of my movings in the next ten years before i use it all :lol:

Top Bottom