What's new

Bubbles?

So it’s like this. I been working all night on the backyard planting a grove of birch trees. The wife thought it would be a great idea to have the kids (9&10) both invite a friend over for a sleepover. Whatever, I don’t care, I’m outside and they’re inside. Well it’s starting to get dark so I figure that it’s time to shut’er down and enjoy a bowl of Luxury Bullseye Flake in one of my new cobs that arrived today. I light up and life is great. The wife looks outside, “Hey, dad’s done working, why don’t you go outside.” It was peaceful just not for long. So my daughter’s friend decides to lecture me on the perils of smoking. I sat and took it, totally agreeing with her that yes, smoking is bad for you, yes, you shouldn’t smoke, yes this and yes that. She looks at me, and in all seriousness, finishes the beratement with, “Do you ever blow bubbles out of your pipe?” Kids today.

B97246EF-8FAC-414D-9D89-9A1809BE89C3.jpeg

I’m the short one.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You need to see if you can find some of the old candy cigarettes for the kids.

Gasp! THE HORROR!!!

I do remember the bubble pipes, and the candy cigarettes.

Santa is not even allowed his pipe anymore...I wonder what Popeye says.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I know why they don’t, but they should really differentiate between cigars/pipes and cigarettes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You need to see if you can find some of the old candy cigarettes for the kids.

Gasp! THE HORROR!!!

I do remember the bubble pipes, and the candy cigarettes.

Santa is not even allowed his pipe anymore...I wonder what Popeye says.
I tried to open a can of spinach from the fire in my bowl- big failure. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know why they don’t, but they should really differentiate between cigars/pipes and cigarettes.

Ain't gonna happen over here. Anything even remotely looking like smoking is getting squashed now...even e-cigs that the UK has recommended for reduction of harm for cig. smokers.

Anything that produces smoke is evil, evil, evil. No matter what.

Yet there is nothing said about fireplaces in homes that the smoke is 12 times more toxic than cigarette smoke and cannot be contained in the house. Not to mention the burn injuries that people get from them and how many house fires result from fireplaces. But that ban would not be popular...yet.

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Trust me wood burning bans are happening. In Montreal, where I was raised, burning wood when there is a smog alert is not allowed since 2015. I'm in a area less densely populated now . . . and mostly folk don't heat with wood . . . but I live in an older home with a fireplace and do enjoy an actual fire.

E96FE8BF-04EE-462E-9F1E-EB8F15D38D42.jpeg

We have bans on open fire but I hope they don’t get to strict. In the background you’ll notice my 17’ long bbq. Most of it wood burning including the 9’ smoker and the pizzza oven. Tomorrow, in lieu of a wake, we’re having a celebration of life for my very recently passed father in law with a wood fired pizza party. He passed right before his 63rd birthday last week. We planted a birch grove in his memory and will bury some of his ashes with the last tree. (To be planted tomorrow during the service). I apologize, as I didn’t mean to turn this into an RIP post but I will say that my father in law always made the effort to help out others. I would ask that anyone that reads this helps out someone else in his memory. Thanks B&B.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
View attachment 912664
We have bans on open fire but I hope they don’t get to strict. In the background you’ll notice my 17’ long bbq. Most of it wood burning including the 9’ smoker and the pizzza oven. Tomorrow, in lieu of a wake, we’re having a celebration of life for my very recently passed father in law with a wood fired pizza party. He passed right before his 63rd birthday last week. We planted a birch grove in his memory and will bury some of his ashes with the last tree. (To be planted tomorrow during the service). I apologize, as I didn’t mean to turn this into an RIP post but I will say that my father in law always made the effort to help out others. I would ask that anyone that reads this helps out someone else in his memory. Thanks B&B.
Man, that’s great. I am getting cremated and demanding no funeral. Because of my love of fajitas, I will be funding a fajita party for those who want to come.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I would ask that anyone that reads this helps out someone else in his memory. Thanks B&B.

Sure thing. Let me think for a bit of what I can do. In what name do I put it?

Man, that’s great. I am getting cremated and demanding no funeral. Because of my love of fajitas, I will be funding a fajita party for those who want to come.

Ain't no way I'm getting cremated. My BIL did that, and I had my lovely Husky done that way so I could keep the ashes (the Husky is still in the cedar chest...wish I had buried her under her favorite place to play in the pasture. I still may do that). I've seen what happens...I can't get over the grinding of the bones that are left in the oven.

But...back to blowing bubbles.

proxy.php

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sure thing. Let me think for a bit of what I can do. In what name do I put it?

Ain't no way I'm getting cremated. My BIL did that, and I had my lovely Husky done that way so I could keep the ashes (the Husky is still in the cedar chest...wish I had buried her under her favorite place to play in the pasture. I still may do that). I've seen what happens...I can't get over the grinding of the bones that are left in the oven.

But...back to blowing bubbles.

proxy.php
That doesn’t bother me- I’ll be dead. I may donate my body to the military. They use cadavers for explosive testing. Benefit is that it’s free, unlike cremation.

On edit: the big thing is that I don’t want survivors to feel guilty because they can’t come to my grave, or feel that they have to tend to my ashes. If you want to respect me, then love life and live it well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you want to respect me, then love life and live it well.

You got it, Bro. I already respect you and love life. I need to pull out Dad's old Mitchell fishing reel and go fishing in the pond tomorrow. This one's for you...early.

Hell...you're younger than I am...I'll probably be gone before you are...you young kid.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You got it, Bro. I already respect you and love life. I need to pull out Dad's old Mitchell fishing reel and go fishing in the pond tomorrow. This one's for you...early.

Hell...you're younger than I am...I'll probably be gone before you are...you young kid.
Sounds like a good time and good memories. Enjoy yourself, and remember those who helped make you what you are. We don’t really die, if we pass along to those that follow us what it means to live.

On edit: I haven’t been fishing in decades, but if I did it would be with a Zebco reel, because that’s what my dad used.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

Yep. Took my Grandpa’s Penn Peerless No. 9 salmon fishing this weekend. I think of him every time I use it. Which is a lot more often than I get up to his grave. And I’m teaching my son that this is his great grandpas reel. He never got to know him, but he’ll know his great grandpa loved fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yep. Took my Grandpa’s Penn Peerless No. 9 salmon fishing this weekend. I think of him every time I use it. Which is a lot more often than I get up to his grave. And I’m teaching my son that this is his great grandpas reel. He never got to know him, but he’ll know his great grandpa loved fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh...a nice bait casting reel. I'm still working on doing the thumb on the spool of Dad's. I suck at it. A spinning reel I can handle. My old Zebco 33 I still have from when I was a kid still works great.

When I'm back up in Indian Territory in a few weeks I need to get with my sons and try to take them fishing or something. They do remember their great Granddad's farm house though.

Oh...and I found out from my oldest son a few months ago that I'm a great grandpa...and I'm not even at retirement age yet. It's kinda funny that my kid is a Grandpa.

Top Bottom