What's new

Brut with Aloe? Anyone Try This?

Saw this at Walmart the other day and picked up a bottle. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but from the bottle it smells a bit more potent than the ordinary Brut of the last few years. Also says it's the "Signature Scent" and contains both menthol and aloe. Pretty sure there were past versions of Brut aftershave that employed collagen and aloe, but those were discontinued years ago. Anyone use this new one yet? Thoughts? Comments?

image_50425089.JPG

IMG_0115.jpg

Initial impression was knock-off until i saw the trademarked Brut label- which is quite different than the usual, anyway. Now i'm not so sure. It's basically aloe and alcohol so how bad can it be...if you like the scent, that is.

That Mexican made stuff at WallyWorld is like a knock-off brand.
I haven't figured it out yet, how they get away with it and is it authorized?
Original label below, along with Brut for men website. (unilever, not brutworld)
View attachment 1698283

www.brut-for-men.com
So in this regard I do have answers. Firstly, the "Brut" brand is licensed to different companies depending on which continent you're on. Parfums Prestige (Unilever) holds the license in Europe. A company called High Ridge Brands (HRB) recently bought the rights to Brut in North America from Helen of Troy. PharmaCare Laboratories owns the license in Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands. Contrary to the Parfums Prestige label, Brut was first released in 1964, not 1965. Why there are these discrepancies in dating between licensees is still a mystery to me. But like Old Spice, Brut is owned by several interests across the world who manufacture and market variations of the product regionally. The stuff in Walmart is 100% legit.

Yup, had this bottle about three months. As Featherweight said...legit. This new one with aloe smells better, too. Not as much of the skanky deep background aroma. The skin feel is nicer, too. An improvement scent-wise from the previous version. Also, the new Brut deodorant stick has all the same manufacturing info as the new aloe aftershave. This stuff will be the Brut for sale in our country from now on.

So in this regard I do have answers. Firstly, the "Brut" brand is licensed to different companies depending on which continent you're on. Parfums Prestige (Unilever) holds the license in Europe. A company called High Ridge Brands (HRB) recently bought the rights to Brut in North America from Helen of Troy. PharmaCare Laboratories owns the license in Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific Islands. Contrary to the Parfums Prestige label, Brut was first released in 1964, not 1965. Why there are these discrepancies in dating between licensees is still a mystery to me. But like Old Spice, Brut is owned by several interests across the world who manufacture and market variations of the product regionally. The stuff in Walmart is 100% legit.

Good info, except - as far as I know, while it is made in at least 3 places, P&G owns the Old Spice brand in all regions.

Tried the "Splash-On" version today. Geez this stuff is so much better than the Helen of Troy formula. Their "Splash-On" would smell mildly like Brut for twenty seconds and vanish without a trace. HRB's formula smells like they went back to 1999 or 2000, a late Unilever version. I put it on 4 hours ago and I can still smell it on me, and I used a really small amount, just a few drops. Lavender powder is what I'm getting. Gentlemen, I think this company did something we never see and actually improved a product. Wondering if HRB will expand on the Brut catalog and reissue the glass bottle version. If they stay consistent with what I'm smelling, it would be a gorgeous fragrance.

IMG_0310.jpg

Last edited:
It’s in a regular rotation with my nightly shaves. In addition, when I get up in morning I usually apply Nivea and a aftershave before heading out. Lately that aftershave has been Brut with Aloe. As much as folks long for the old Brut, I enjoy this new one. Great face feel, the scent fades off of overpowering pretty quick. Then it’s aroma levels off to subtle for most of the day. I really just went back to old school aftershaves, and the ones i receive the most completes on are Brute and the Aqua Velva products. My wife is never happy, so I ignore 90% of what she says and forget the other 10%. But my daughters can’t get enough of Aqua Velva. They are in their 20’s down to 16. It’s like it’s some new cologne they never experienced. Maybe those young bucks should revisit the past.

IMG_0304.jpeg

Last edited:
First comment on a post here in a long while but wanted to comment on this stuff.

Ran out of a 6 month old bottle and picked up this Signature Scent tonight. Longevity is far superior. Close to my Dad’s Brut in scent, deeper like the old stuff. I doubt this will match that decades old Brut longevity but definitely an improvement over the previous incarnation.

Glad you're enjoying it, THall! I'm a little surprised there aren't more guys celebrating the new Brut on here. We've all been pining for a company to improve on the formula and send it at least a few years back to a version that smells superior to what Helen of Troy was making. Now that it's happened, I feel like we're lone voices in the forest on this! Guys, Brut is back!

Top Bottom