What's new

Brush shootout: Shavemac v Chubby

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I really enjoy my Chubby 1 in Super and I have another Simpson on order in Manchurian now that I'm looking forward to (the LE from another forum to try it out without spending an arm and a leg). I have avoided the best due to it's reputation for inconsistency myself. The Super has a lot of scrub. It's my LEAST soft brush right now in the category of badger (that said, it's my only one that isn't a "silvertip"). The knot construction is very impressive, though. It feels great against the face and the scrub has a nice "exfoliating" feel to it.

I don't care for the handle, though, either. It's the exact opposite of comfortable. I have a Thater 4125/2 that has an octagonal handle very similar to the Shavemac and it's awesome. I also have a Shavemac 386 2 Band Silvertip and the handle is just as comfortable if not more so. It's wonderful. Absolutely agree with your take on the handles. The Chubby handle pretty much feels like it's just not enough. It gets the job done, though, and overall I think it's an excellent brush for something to really pick up any soap with no problems and scrub the lather into the face. When I want something softer, I grab another brush, but the Chubby fills a nice niche for me.

Enjoyed the read!

I have a Chubby 2 , in best, and a Shavemac, 177, in silvertip. If I could start over I believe I would get a Chubby 2 in super-badger.
The Shavemac is way too soft for me. I wish the Chubby 2, was just a little, softer.

The first Chubby 2, I received developed a split in the handle, where the knot enters, It is my understanding that this is not an unheard of problem with Simpson. It was replaced with another by Bullgoose Shaving & Simpson.

I do not like the slanted initials on the Shavemac; a little "over the top" for me. Block straight or none would suit my tastes better. I really like the appearance of the Chubby 2.

It is my impression that they are both very, good, brushes. The Chubby 2 just suits me better.

Last edited:
Great write-up, Thank you. I have a Shavemac D01 three band in fan(25x50), which is my favorite brush. I have been pondering a CH2 in best. Probably will hold off, at least for now! :)

Top Bottom