What's new

Brush for Travel Recommendations

So, here's the deal. I have five brushes. These are as follows;

Omega 10049: Great for hard soaps, like Williams
Van der Hagen Boar: Back up for the Omega and soon to come Zenith Boar
Zenith Boar: (Coming Soon) Used for hard soaps and cycled between the other two boars
Stirling Soap Finest Badger 26mm: Used for my creams on a Sunday shave
Cremo Horse Hair: Current travel brush due to being okay with creams and okay with hard soaps. However, it doesn't have great performance with either.

My issue is traveling. I have a point A and a point B when I travel. These are not a problem due to being able to be set up properly at these points. It's the in between points where things get a bit out of hand. Due to the conditions I'll be shaving in I just don't have the opportunity to dry my brushes properly.

Thus I am looking for a good synthetic brush. I hear these dry off quickly. Is there a synthetic knot of good size (24-28mm) that is great with both creams and hard soaps? One that has soft tips, good fan, but great backbone to really cream up hard soaps?

Thank you in advance,
BigD

Maggard Razors Black & White or Timberwolf. Either would be a ver good option and friendly to your wallet.

Omega mixed midget
Omega 599
Simpsons wee Scott

Just dry them on a towel and throw them in the case. I use the small Simpsons case

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

not sure what your drying issues at point B are, but I don't have any problems having traveled to high humidity areas with mine. mine have dried well enough the day of use at my point B. I stopped worrying about traveling home from B on a single day and a brush being packed while damp, they dry out fine at home. I bought a Whipped Dog synth to try them out and use on an actual travel day. I quit worrying about it later, and quit using the synth because I prefer boar and badgers more. I have no issue with any of my badgers with hard soaps, don't use creams, and for years have used sticks (produced or made by me) when traveling. I also face lather exclusively. what I've used traveling and liked is below:

Whipped Dog 20mm silvertip set at 45mm loft. works like a champ, and was a daily for a long time early in my experience.

Wee Scott: just barely big enough to do the job, but man, does it pack small. it lives in my small carry on Dopp. it's fine for weekend or short trips, but I wouldn't want it to be a daily driver.

Omega mixed midget: I really like this for a traveling brush. packs small, big enough to be a daily and dries impressively quickly. I don't like the way the pure badger bristles prickle my face when I splay the brush. they're too sharp for my taste. this brush made me look for a bambino, but I couldn't find one in stock anywhere before I started this year's sabbatical. I hope they're still being made. I'll look next year.

if you're not worried about size, any synth should do you fine, but I can't recommend one, because I'm simply not a fan of the one I've used, compared to my others.

My go to travel brush is a Simms handle that I reknotted with a 22 mm synthetic from Maggards Razors. Works great with every soap or cream I own. Plus it dries fast .

IMO, the space and weight saving using a small travel brush vs your normal brush is pretty minor in the overall scheme of things.
Hence, my travel brush in recent times has been a Savile Row 3824 silvertip. Works great, and no compromises.

Here is a recent travel SOTD:

proxy.php

I travel with a Wee Scot and am very happy with it! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

Not synthetic but it dries well and has great face feel!

Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synthetic Shaving Brush
  • Brush knot diameter: 24mm (+/-1mm)
  • Loft size: 53mm (+/-1mm)
  • Handle height: 48mm (+/-1mm)
  • Widest part of the handle diameter: 38mm (+/-1mm)
  • Material: Synthetic hair
  • Handle Material: Resin
    proxy.php

I've been using Chubby 2 Synth as my favorite brush at home. Have used it for travel but takes up more room. Just ordered a Wee Scot to fit in Parker Razor case. I will be able to pack my Timeless Ti, tuck of blades and brush into a tidy package. Creates more room in my dop kit for other essentials.

Top Bottom