What's new

Brush Facial Rash?

I searched for this topic in other threads but was only able to ones that mentioned it from razor blades, after shave balms or soaps / creams and the like. I was wondering if any others ran into the same issue of a facial rash / red blotches from their brushes?

I had a beard for 30+ years, went back to DE last December after a 32 year absence (!) and thoroughly enjoying all aspects except one. I noticed whenever I tried to face lather, my face would break out in red blotches etc and since I bowl lathered, no problem. Every month or so, thinking that maybe over time, the face "toughened up" I would just work the lather in a wee bit more no such luck.

I have several brushes all well broken in - boar (Semogue 1305 & Omega 8097) & badger (silver tips SR3824 & Thater Stout along with EJ Pure) and an Omega synthetic -all give the same result. It all clears up a few hours later with a 2nd coating of my Nivea ASB or a Kiehl's moisturizer. I NEVER get any facial rash from soaps, creams, after shave lotion but just any face lathering!

Just curious how others handled it.........Gene

I used to have this problem, to the point of being very close to selling my Duke3 Best.... what changed my mind?... SOAPS + CROAPS!! After years of taking soaps for granted, I began to take note of which soap I had used when there was little or no irritation. I used to think that irritation meant that I had been too aggressive or careless with my shave, but that was not the case... now I can lather up with the Duke, and shave with the R41, and my skin will look and feel great with very little or no irritation... YMMV, but it's worth a try... oh, for starters try Mike's Unscented, that's the one that opened my eyes ...

I used to have this problem, to the point of being very close to selling my Duke3 Best.... what changed my mind?... SOAPS + CROAPS!! After years of taking soaps for granted, I began to take note of which soap I had used when there was little or no irritation. I used to think that irritation meant that I had been too aggressive or careless with my shave, but that was not the case... now I can lather up with the Duke, and shave with the R41, and my skin will look and feel great with very little or no irritation... YMMV, but it's worth a try... oh, for starters try Mike's Unscented, that's the one that opened my eyes ...

This would indicate that some of the ingredients in some of the commercial brands are the irritant. I've often said that many of the bigger commercial brands use far too many chemicals that can cause irritation. Whereas the artisan soap makers like Mikes Natural Soaps, Mystic Waters, Mama Bears, Queen Charlotte Soaps and others don't and I find that they are the kindest to my skin also.

It just sounds like face lathering isn't your thing.

+1 Foyle after re-reading my post & seeing your signature, why didn't I think of that :biggrin1:

Actually, I should have stated that I have no problem applying the lather & small amount of brushing, just that I get carried away and want to really work it in with my nice brushes!

Stick with bowl lathering. Some peoples sensitive skin can't take the scrubbing, that face lathering requires.

I guess I didn't want to admit that my wiry old beard on a face that has ALWAYS been outside as a runner, hiker, biker would be "so sensitive" :001_smile

Gene

Top Bottom