What's new

Broken arm/elbow change my shaving routine

Middle of June, I took an almighty fall on a perfectly smooth sidewalk, and I screwed up my dominant right arm. Two broken bones, now healing with a plate and a bunch of screws. Then my elbow wasn't healing, so more surgery: the Tommy John operation, but on the inside if my arm. Metal armature juts up above my arm, looking like something Lebbeus Woods designed.

So no shaving, and a big bushy beard instead. But this week, a dear friend took me to the barbershop for a shampoo (bliss) and a haircut and beard removal. Feels wonderful. I can't use my Fatboy, so I am back to the Mach 3 I use for travel. Nowhere near as close a shave I like, but I look more human. I am able to use my D. R. Harris Arlington soap stick and my vintage brush, so I can use some of my gear. I miss my good shaves!

They inserted a cadaver tendon in my arm. 3 jokes:
1. I'll get my fastball back
2. I can audition for "The Walking Dead"
3 Maybe I can now play Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto

I've missed BnB, but I couldn't type until today, and I was jealous of you guys with your smooth shaves.

Yrs, Vespasian

I am back to the Mach 3 I use for travel. Nowhere near as close a shave I like, but I look more human.
I know how you feel. I have been in the position where I could not hold a DE razor for 4 months so was thankful for a Mach 3 cartridge razor and canned cream. As you say, not as close a shave but keeps you looking decent. Hopefully it won't be too long before you are back with the DE.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Glad to see you getting back to normal. Keep working on it and that arm will be ready in no time!

Good to hear you are healing and able to look on the brighter side.

We all like a good story...care to share "The Fall?" I am guessing you were chasing a purse snatcher that had taken an elderly grandmother's purse as she exited the bank after cashing her late husband's life insurance check to pay off her mortgage.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some of our more committed members have chosen to break their arm on purpose in order to better obtain the ideal shaving angle. It is somewhat similar to the recent phenomenon of aspiring baseball pitchers electing to preemptively have "Tommy John" surgery. The B&B version is called Chuck Knoblauch surgery, for reasons unrelated to baseball.

I was going to try to write a funny reply, too - but @ouch's was too good to follow. I hope your healing is speedy, painless, and complete.

I was going to try to write a funny reply, too - but @ouch's was too good to follow. I hope your healing is speedy, painless, and complete.
Thanks for the kind words. I am getting better slowly, but I really screwed up my right arm, especially the elbow.

I do wish I had an exciting story, but no. I just fell, rather dramatically. The technical term is (if the moderators will allow it) "*** over teakettle." I scored a 9.75 from the viewing gallery. Both feet shot out from under me, up into the air, down on my arm.

Thanks again for the pleasant concern you have expressed.

IMG_1239.JPG

also wishing you speedy recovery!
Do all the therapy and exercises!
Don't rush it too much, for fear of arthritis later.

Similar story on my part
Slip and fell over ankle in July.
Still in cast boot and wheelchair, another month yet
Pins and plate in ankle

Shaving is ok but from wheelchair.
Also finding shave sticks most convenient.
Mostly with DE, and recently with Feather AC!

Ouch! That doesn't sound pleasant at all! Good luck to you on your recovery. Don't know how you feel about them, but you might consider making do with an electric until your arm heals enough to wet shave again.

Though not as bad as your injury, I tore my right biceps (my dominant arm) about a year & a half ago and shaved with an electric shaver for a while until I could manipulate a razor well enough to use one again. I was still using a Sensor XL at the time. My first shave after the injury was a about half as good & took twice as long ==> decided to use the electric until I healed enough. (Say what you want about them - but they do the trick when quick & less mess are the over-riding considerations.) The wet/dry electric sent me on a quest for better creams/ soaps to reduce razor burn, I found this site, learned a few things, bought a few more, and have been using DEs & SRs ever since.

Ouch! That doesn't sound pleasant at all! Good luck to you on your recovery. Don't know how you feel about them, but you might consider making do with an electric until your arm heals enough to wet shave again.

Though not as bad as your injury, I tore my right biceps (my dominant arm) about a year & a half ago and shaved with an electric shaver for a while until I could manipulate a razor well enough to use one again. I was still using a Sensor XL at the time. My first shave after the injury was a about half as good & took twice as long ==> decided to use the electric until I healed enough. (Say what you want about them - but they do the trick when quick & less mess are the over-riding considerations.) The wet/dry electric sent me on a quest for better creams/ soaps to reduce razor burn, I found this site, learned a few things, bought a few more, and have been using DEs & SRs ever since.

Thanks for the kind words. I tried an electric razor once for a while, but I never got a decent shave. Right now, I am left-hand shaving with a Mach 3 cartridge razor, which does the trick. One more month until I get the external fixators removed, when I can return to my beloved Fatboy and finally get a good shave.

Sarimento1, ouch. Heal fast, buddy.

Top Bottom