What's new

Broke my brush

Oh, the perils of early morning shaves and not nearly enough coffee.

I have succumbed to a serious case of the fumble-fingers over the past week, and dropped my big silvertip brush several times onto the hard tile floor. ::sigh:: Well, the last time, the knot popped out of the handle. Oddly enough, the olivewood has nary a scratch.

The knot is set in a chromed bezel, which was glued into the handle. I'm presuming my best bet for repair would be a two-part epoxy, and not a urethane glue like Gorilla Glue, yes? To be specific, the bond is metal to wood.

Thanks, all.

I am no brush expert but based on what I know about gluing wood to metal I would opt for a two part epoxy as you initially suggested.

nrv216

Oh, the perils of early morning shaves and not nearly enough coffee.

I have succumbed to a serious case of the fumble-fingers over the past week, and dropped my big silvertip brush several times onto the hard tile floor. ::sigh:: Well, the last time, the knot popped out of the handle. Oddly enough, the olivewood has nary a scratch.

The knot is set in a chromed bezel, which was glued into the handle. I'm presuming my best bet for repair would be a two-part epoxy, and not a urethane glue like Gorilla Glue, yes? To be specific, the bond is metal to wood.

Thanks, all.

Gorilla Glue is an expansion glue for joint setting and that would push the knot outward as it cured. You don't want that.

Two part epoxy is better and try to find one that cures clear if possible. That way it is less likely to show up if a small amount leached from the knot and handle connection while curing.

Devcon makes a 5 minute 2 part epoxy which is clear. You can get it at Lowes for under$4. It should work great. Gorilla glue makes an epoxy as well, though I have never used it. Good luck.

if you can find a clear marine epoxy would be best the stuff i have even cures under water.

You do not need marine epoxy. It is more expensive, and is made for being submerged all the time. Regular 2 part epoxy will work just fine.

You do not need marine epoxy. It is more expensive, and is made for being submerged all the time. Regular 2 part epoxy will work just fine.

And regular epoxy will also cure under water. It's a chemical reaction that is not dependent on oxygen/air/drying.

Top Bottom