What's new

British Sterling Alternatives?

I was thinking about my father the other day and remembered how he always used British Sterling. I always loved the scent. I was tempted to pick up some but recently read that the Dana version is not the same as previous versions?

Are there any alternatives that smell like this? Preferably in a longer lasting form (not aftershave). I like my scents to be strong and last all day (ok I'll settle for 4 hours at least). :)

Thanks!

I was thinking about my father the other day and remembered how he always used British Sterling. I always loved the scent. I was tempted to pick up some but recently read that the Dana version is not the same as previous versions?

Are there any alternatives that smell like this? Preferably in a longer lasting form (not aftershave). I like my scents to be strong and last all day (ok I'll settle for 4 hours at least). :)

Thanks!

Just buy the real deal.

Heck, it's cheap enough to buy it and see for yourself..that way you'd know first hand.

A couple of things...

First, the current Dana version lacks some ingredients, most notably the level of oakmoss it used to have. I compared the aftershave to vintage. It is a little different, but it really isn't anything you'd miss much. It is a little less herbaceous smelling. That's about it. It think it's excellent and nothing out there smells the same.

Second, MEM made vintage British Sterling is still affordable on ebay, though more expensive than the current at Walmart, but it's obtainable. Especially sample bottles.

Third, the cologne is sweeter smelling than the aftershave and I believe they are meant to be used in combination. They form a more complex scent. This makes it even more difficult to spot the difference in the versions. So it matters less IMO than other reformulations like Brut. It's nothing as severe as what they did to that scent! Neutered it thoroughly.

Fourth, it is possible to buy oakmoss absolute, make a tincture with vodka, and add some to Dana British Sterling and see what happens. In my experience, it really can only help a fragrance. It's the same with musk ketone powder. A little goes a long way, and you can always add more.

Both of those ingredients can improve cologne longevity.

If you want to go overboard, I think Floris No. 89 is in the same ballpark. When I sampled it, I couldn't figure out what it reminded me of, and it bugged me for months. Then I picked up a cheap gift set of British Sterling at a local discount store and realized what was giving me the deja vu. Side by side, they're different. No. 89 is more powdery, but they're close enough you might want to try it if you have the chance. But it's expensive, over $70 a bottle new.

Top Bottom