What's new

British Ball-end tech took me by surprise

I have a bunch of very nice vintage razors and I bought 2 british techs in a flea market while on vacation this summer, along with an Old set. I tried the old and one of the techs (with a braided-like handle). Both were very nice and ended-up in my rotation. The second tech was a simple ball-end model and since it didn't look as fancy as the two others, I didn't try it until tonight. Damn! That simple, basic razor gave me the smoothest shave I've had in months (I've had plenty of great shaves but that thing was just fantastic). I've been favoring more aggressive razors for the last 6 months or so but this one really surprised me. Sorry for the lack of pics but you know, it looks like all the other ball-ends you'Ve seen.

Just goes to show me that I should always try my razors without prejudice... while the other two of that score were great, this one is the clear winner here.

Indeed, my other 3 techs are very good but I really didn't expect this one to be this great!

Well done and well said. My first Tech taught me a lot too. I think for me it is possible to get a good close comfortable shave with either a mild razor or an aggressive razor or points in between. You just have to listen to how the razor wants you to shave and adjust your technique accordingly. Once you can do that, the great shaves just keep on coming.

I don't get it, what do you mean?
It's a quote from a movie called The Matrix.

I simply meant that your eyes were opened to one of the best razors ever made, if you are speaking of the one in the picture.

$20161008_191826-1.jpg

I use the US version, one of my top razors. I don't find any difference between the US, Canada or England made Tech with the same baseplate as the one pictured, I have all 3.

I don't find any difference between the US, Canada or England made Tech with the same baseplate as the one pictured, I have all 3.

It must be an age thing. I have a Canadian Pre-War Tech, but it has the triangular slots.

I too was going to a more aggressive razors (or settings), but I was quite pleased with the results from the recently-acquired Tech.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 or 5 techs (not sure). My canadian tech (triangle slots) was my favorite, followed by the british one with the criss-cross patterned handle. Having tried this ball-end british tech, I can say it feels much smoother than the other british tech and might just be a notch better than the Canadian one.
[MENTION=81103]rabidus[/MENTION]; ok I get it. I only saw the first movie once and none of the others. It definitely never became an important movie for me..

It must be an age thing. I have a Canadian Pre-War Tech, but it has the triangular slots.

I too was going to a more aggressive razors (or settings), but I was quite pleased with the results from the recently-acquired Tech.
$20161008_195046-1.jpg

I find these to be smoother and slightly more efficient than the prewar triangle slot Techs(US and Canada) or the British flat bottom Tech.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's the balance.
I weighed the handle and head on mine separately last night, and it turned out that the head (25 g) is heavier than the handle (23 g).
The handle is hollow, with the hole going right down to within 1.2 mm of the outside end.

NICE! As they say, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." My version is that, " The way to judge a razor is by how it shaves not how it looks!"

NICE! As they say, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." My version is that, " The way to judge a razor is by how it shaves not how it looks!"

yeah, it's not like I voluntarily passed on tryingit due to its looks, it just got postponed for some reason.

Top Bottom