What's new

Brisket

I seem to make brisket everytime a little different. What are everyone's favorite temps and time to cook/smoke a brisket.

I guess I have spring on the mind!

Thanks

-Luke

I really enjoy a real BBQ'd brisket. I have done both high temp, low temp and a hybrid of the two.

My most successful and consistent results come from the hybrid technique. I start the smoker at 220 and bring it up to 300-325 slowly over several hours. I use white oak and sometimes a little cherry wood for smoke.

220-225 for roughly 1 hour per pound. Oak, hickory, mesquite or a mixture of any (refrain from too much mesquite..it will create a bitter taste). Cook fat side up. Baste maybe once after about an hour-again after 2 hours. DO NOT open the lid every 15 minutes to baste ("If you're looking, you're not cooking"). About half way through (I do 8-10 lb briskets so that would be 4-5 hours) remove the meat, apply whatever sauce you prefer (this is an option only) wrap it in foil, toss it back in the pit for another 4-5 hours. Remove from the foil and you're done. Brisket should have an internal temperature of 185 degrees.

My award (no kidding) winning rub is simple: equal parts Kosher salt, coarse grind black pepper, allspice. Do not be skimpy when applying to your brisket before cooking.
Sauce (if preferred) varies quite a bit, but it is always a KC or Georgia style kinda sweet sauce.

Last edited:
250ish for the cooking temp, fat side down and I never baste or spray anything on it because I've found that just dilutes and ruins the rub, and no foil. Pull around 195-200 when it's soft enough to slide a toothpick into the flat with no resistance. Usually use red oak, but also like to use pecan.

I also like to cut off as much of the external fat and the fat pocket that seperates the flat and point as I can.

Top Bottom