What's new

Briefcase, Messenger, Book, or Field Bag Recommendations ... Duluth? Filson?

I've currently got a medium Saddleback briefcase. While I really like it, it can be excessively heavy and I've begun to think about getting a lighter weight bag, especially for days when I'm carrying it more or for further distances. It'd need to carry a smaller laptop (a 13" Mac), charger, at least few (2ish) books or articles, notepad, pens, etc. I know my best bet would be to just carry less, but that isn't always possible and I want a bag that starts off weighing less when empty.

In doing some searching for possible options, I've come across Filson and Duluth as companies that seem worth considering. On the Filson side, I've been interested in the 256 (the original briefcase) or the 257 (briefcase computer bag). On the Duluth side, I've been thinking about their deluxe book bag, the laptop book bag, or the field satchel.

Does anybody have any experience with any of those specific bags or more general comments about the quality of work one might expect from the two companies? I've found more comments about Filson than Duluth, but they seem comparable. Are there other companies I should be considering?

I go to the Duluth Pack Co. store every time I'm in Duluth. The products seem to be very well made and quite sturdy.
I don't own one, but I've looked at them enough times. The store also sells Filson, but I've never seen any bags, just clothing.

I do have experience with Red Oxx, but they are much more rugged looking and maybe not what you are looking for.
However, If you want a bag you can beat up, then they are worth a look.

I've had a Filson 256 for about 2 years now. It's a fantastic bag with quality construction. It has developed a nice patina that gets better with age. I don't think the 256 would hold all the items that you listed so you might want to consider the computer bag. Mine can hold a macbook 13", notebook, iPad and a few other things.

I've had a few Filson 256's and they just don't hold that much gear when you toss in a laptop. The sleeves in the Filson computer bag are annoying in that they do not extend to the bottom of the bag. Nice bag otherwise, and practically indestructible.

NO experience with the Duluth, but I do use Manhattan Portage bags now and then to carry a laptop and they work just fine--and they are not pricey at all--they run a third the price of Duluth--but you might not like the look.

If you wanted the ultimate, you'd go with Tom Bihn--but you'd pay the price as well.

Last edited:
Take a look at the Tumi bags. I have a shoulder bag that I traveled with and a computer type bag. Great quality and they stand behind their products.

Filson is far higher quality than Duluth.

I've owned multiple Duluth products and they're good, solid stuff, but they're not Filson. I have bought one Filson bag for a friend. The great-grandkids (assuming any kids are had to begin with) will be using that bag.

If you're looking for a field bag, get the Filson if you can afford it. They've been in business for a century, they know their product line.

I've had bothTumi and Marco Polo leather vertical messenger bags and both were excellent. I've looked at the Filson bags but found it very hard to justify the asking price.

I carry the same volume of stuff as you. I use Chapman bags. They are very well made, look great and come at a reasonable price considering the quality and lifespan of the product.

Top Bottom