What's new

best travel bag? saddleback leather vs filson

Good afternoon all,

i'm going to be taking a few trips in the near future for business. some long trips, some not so long/overnight trips.
i have a saddleback leather large classic briefcase and a filson 257, and was wondering what the consensus might be on the best bag for the trip/s.

any and all info/experiences are welcomed

heres the list of items to carry:
15" hp elitebook and charger
13" macbook pro and charger
8" samsung sii tab and charger
2 notepads(tops docket gold)
1 molskine calander
1 molskine hard cover classic
phone charger
wireless mouse
gum/tylenol
keys
wallet
etymotic earbuds

pics posted below
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm preferential to the saddleback leather, especially if it is well worn in. However, I've haven't done any extensive traveling with one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Load each and see which is more comfortable. The Filson might be lighter, which could be an advantage if your walking much.

Don't purchase either. You will unnecessarily spend hundreds of dollars more than you need to. Go with what I bought back in 2016 and am extremely pleased with -

51KPQ8gAPKL.jpg

Here is the Amazon link to the leather travel bag -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAMD76M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have actually had people come up to me at the airport and compliment me on this leather travel bag and ask where it got. Then, they are floored when I tell them I picked it up for around $200 rather than the $700 to $1400 you will pay for the higher-end Saddleback or Filson brandname bags.

Tim

Oh, and boy can you pack stuff into this Polare leather travel bag :001_302:. I get my 14" Thinkpad Yoga 2-in-1 laptop + charger, phone and charger, Sony wireless headphones, soft/puffy leather bound legal note pad, a magazine or two (usually the latest issues of WIRED and Esquire), two days worth of dress clothes (shirt, tie, trousers, undershirt/pants and socks), and my Irish Lee River leather bathroom travel pouch into this travel bag!

Tim

Wow. Interesting knockoff. If it holds up, you saved some $$$$.
Yes, it definitely is a knock off, but does not tout itself as such. You would not believe how thick the leather is; again, not your typical knock off made with inferior materials and poor stitching.

Tim

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have picked up quite a few knockoffs while working in China that lasted as long or even outlasted the 'real' stuff.

Many knockoffs fail in an area where it's not obvious why the reinforcement is there on the original.

I know that I'm too old to wear out my Saddleback stuff despite the torture that I put them through LOL.

If your kit will fit into the Filson, take it. It will be lighter overall (which should make it more comfortable to carry), easier to deal with when emptied, and probably less likely to draw attention.

I traveled extensively on business for many years. I soon realized that my beautiful, leather brief case was too heavy. It looked great but after a while, my back began to suffer. I ended up getting two brief cases in ballistic nylon. One from Tumi was without wheels. It was similar to this one.

proxy.php

The second one I got from Costco and had wheels on it but could be easily carried. It looks similar to the Tumi but is larger.

I ended up using the one with wheels because of the weight of all of the items I traveled with.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
The problem with bags is that WE WANT TO FILL THE DOGGONE THINGS UP!

Yes, thick leather bags are going to be heavier than nylon or canvas bags. A little more muscle never hurt anybody :)

I bought the medium thin briefcase from Saddleback for my daily use and now only use the large briefcase for travel. It took me a while to learn that I don't need ALL OF THAT CRAP every day and the smaller bag doesn't allow me to packrat.

Between the two I prefer Fisson.

However, as someone who lives in Filson's home town, I also suggest you check out Tom Bihn (tombihn.com) another company than actually manufactures their bags here in Seattle. I have more than 1 million miles on one of their bags and more than 500k on another.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i'm going to be taking a few trips in the near future for business. some long trips, some not so long/overnight trips.
i have a saddleback leather large classic briefcase and a filson 257, and was wondering what the consensus might be on the best bag for the trip/s.

any and all info/experiences are welcomed

Well, from what you describe, it sounds like this is your carry-on luggage for flights? Obviously you need more stuff for overnight trips and multi-nighters. And I'll also assume that we're talking about a carry-on you put under the seat in front of you rather than up in the overhead storage (both for ease of in-flight access and for added security).

I think the Filson has an advantage in ease-of-carry (both weight and size/shape), which becomes more important when you have other pieces of checked luggage to tote around too. On the other hand, the SB may give you more room ... if you need it ... and for either I'd tend away from using the open "exterior pocket" for anything: everything secured inside to prevent stuff falling out (especially when the bag is stuffed under the seat in front mid-flight).

If you can fit your stuff in the smaller/lighter Filson ... that's your obvious choice.

I hope you've received the answers you were seeking, @techjunkie25 , in order to form your decision. Would be great to hear a report back if/when you have. Good luck!

Hello again all!

Yes, I’ve made a decision, I initially sold both and then re-bought them both again!
I use them each depending on the individual situation. The saddleback for daily carry and abuse, and the Filson 257 for travel...and sometimes vice versa.
Either way, I have found both to be equally high quality and fill my needs in different circumstances.

I say either would be a suitable bag for a “one and done” purchase.
Filson has a ton of storage and is a bit lighter than theb SBL, but the SBL is leather, must be something primal about it, as I’ve always liked saddleback products...
Heck, I’ve even added a Kendal and Hyde large satchel in natural veg tanned leather....makes my office smell amazing and taking on a very nice patina too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I traveled extensively on business for many years. I soon realized that my beautiful, leather brief case was too heavy. It looked great but after a while, my back began to suffer. I ended up getting two brief cases in ballistic nylon. One from Tumi was without wheels. It was similar to this one.

proxy.php

The second one I got from Costco and had wheels on it but could be easily carried. It looks similar to the Tumi but is larger.

I ended up using the one with wheels because of the weight of all of the items I traveled with.
Agreed. I have that bag but is made by Hartman and feature ballistic nylon. Lightweight and bulletproof.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu

Sorry to say I don't have any experience with either- although Saddleback goods tend to be very thick and heavy (which would be an obvious disadvantage for walking, but an advantage if you like to abuse your stuff a bit).

Please note the op said he already has the two bags. He's not looking for suggestions for a third.

Top Bottom