What's new

Breaking in a pipe

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I have a number of new pipes that I need to start breaking in. I don’t have a lot of experience doing this but I usually use a burley blend and smoke a couple of 1/2 bowls prior to filling the bowl all the way to the top.

What is your preferred Tobacco for breaking in a new pipe?
Do you do a number of half bowls prior to smoking a full bowl?
Any tips or tricks you’ve learned over the years?

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
PA, and I just smoke them normally. But not too much early on, let them dry out a bit. Be patient. PA burns nicely and easily, and won’t ghost it up, either. SWR works in a pinch, too. But I prefer PA.

Modern pipes are often coated with all sorts of goos and concoctions, so it is really hard to badly bake a cake nowadays. Some of those coatings taste awful for a while. Sloppy stainwork into the bowl does, too. My last Pete was a very rough ride until it settled in.

I like ‘em uncoated when new, but that’s just me. If you find them caking high, then occasionally burn a half bowl to keep it even. If you’re re-caking a reamed pipe (many estates), check the chamber first for any peaks, and level them off before the first bowl.

Don’t overthink it. If a new briar is well seasoned and well made, it will almost always cake in just fine.

I don't really have a strict break in method. I just usually smoke what I like and be careful not to overheat the pipe. No half bowls or anything like that. Many times I do smoke a burley but I like burley and smoke it regularly anyways. Sometimes I smoke Virginia stuff or even latakia blends. Just depends on what I want out of the pipe and my mood. I don't really let the break in decide the blend.

I start half or 1/3 filled bowl and smoke
And 5 or 10 times later I go all the way (or 2/3)

The 1/3 and 2/3 or 1/2 depends of the size of the chamber. But also on your own smoking habbits.

I use an easy burning tabacco, I have used Semois, Voortrekker or something similar.

With the inburncoatings, you can go all the way, but I still do a couple half filled bowls, just to make sure the bottom gets a burn in from early on.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I just load to the brim and smoke, but tend to smoke in instalments, letting the pipe cool down a while before continuing. I am also careful to use tobacco that's on the dry side, so it burns easier, even when the uncoated briar is sapping heat.

When I started with pipes I did all the tricks. Half bowls, honey, etc. Now, when a new pipe appears it gets thrown into my rotation for the month. 2 to 3 full bowls a week with at least a day between bowls. My only real rules are:

1. Every pipe begins it's life as a VA pipe.
2. Match lights only, until cake is formed.

I live by the mantra that cake grows naturally where it is needed.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
49755363-56BA-45B7-9E38-A2843302F0AE.jpeg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I believe it is a good idea to smoke to the bottom of the bowl to make sure it gets caked. I usually start with a full bowl and never had a problem. I’ve read of coating the bowl with honey but never tried it.

I just smoke whatever I was feeling for that day to break a pipe in. Fill the bowl 1/2 to 3/4 full, and smoke it. I do let them dry out for 48 hours afterwards, probably overkill since I use the Nording clay rocks in the bottom of the bowl. But I dont want to take any chances, pipes arent cheap unless they are cobs or Morgan Bones which I have come to LOVE!!!!!

PA, and I just smoke them normally. But not too much early on, let them dry out a bit. Be patient. PA burns nicely and easily, and won’t ghost it up, either. SWR works in a pinch, too. But I prefer PA.

Modern pipes are often coated with all sorts of goos and concoctions, so it is really hard to badly bake a cake nowadays. Some of those coatings taste awful for a while. Sloppy stainwork into the bowl does, too. My last Pete was a very rough ride until it settled in. . . .
I asked here about the coating Peterson puts into its new pipes and was relieved to be told not to worry. And even more relieved that smoking the Arklow 606 did not taste weird. I used the Alpine Lodge from C & D that Smokingpipes included with the Peterson -- a half bowl, since the blend was new to me and I didn't know how strong it would be. (Probably it's a good thing I did.) The next, full bowl in the Arklow was a mix of MacBaren Golden Extra and the AL. The pot pipe has settled in nicely.

Years ago, like a lot of you, I tried smearing honey into a new bowl. Once I even filled a pipe with some brandy and let it soak overnight. Never again -- I got a horrible sore throat when I smoked it. Now, I might do a half bowl of a proven blend like Sir Walter, but sometimes (esp. w/ estates) I just roar ahead and fill the pipe up and smoke away.

Top Bottom