What's new

Brass Blade?

I'm looking at getting some brass stock for a project and i was wondering if brass would make an acceptable blade for a straight. Not nessecarily looking for a shave-worthy blade (although it would be nice) but i can see brass being fairly easy to work and sharpen. Anyone tried this before?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I believe brass would be way too soft and would not keep an edge. That is why carbon steel is still the best for sharp edges like we have in a str8.

The other problem with brass is oxidation. The brass would need constant care and any coating that was applied to preserve the blade would be honed away in the edge and spine leaving a place for oxidation to get in under the finish.
*if* the brass had a high enough zinc content to take an edge sutible for shaving, I'm afraid that it would be so brittle that the blade would shatter instead of just chip as a steel blade would do in a simular accident.
All in all just not practicle, sorry

I think your thinking of bronze. Brass is used for decoration and bells.

Bronze was used for tools, weapons, etc. before proper iron tools were invented.

leighton, you're right. i got the idea from the picture of the bronze age razor on wikipedia... like i said i'm looking at some brass stock and i had a brainfart :blush: SOO... bronze would probably be suitable for a razor. And as cool as it would be to make it shaveable, my target is just to make it as a display. On the other hand, if it turns out any good, would anyone be interested in one?

leighton, you're right. i got the idea from the picture of the bronze age razor on wikipedia... like i said i'm looking at some brass stock and i had a brainfart :blush: SOO... bronze would probably be suitable for a razor. And as cool as it would be to make it shaveable, my target is just to make it as a display. On the other hand, if it turns out any good, would anyone be interested in one?

Yes you can make a bronze razor. They used them back in the day, we can use them today. You should check out some of the recreations of bronze weaponry being made today. Fantastic! :thumbup:

I don't see any reason why you couldn't recreate the bronze razor.

However, I would not be interested in one other than as a display piece. And that'd probably be a pretty expensive display piece I'd imagine. :(

The edge retention is not as good. Theres a reason we went to steel. :lol:

You can but it probably won't be very strong or hold an edge for long. I've forged pure copper, which is either too brittle or too soft depending on how much it's been hammered. Bronze might be better than pure copper depending on the specific alloy but not significantly. Brass is way too soft. Steel is strong because of the carbon impurities that differentiate steel from other iron alloys as well as the overall crystal structure (although I'm rusty on my materials science knowledge so won't try to go into more detail lest I am wrong).

Yes, bronze razors have been made before, but I don't think any have been made that are remotely as sharp as modern straight razors (or modern knives in general). Bronze and copper are fairly weak when very thin. From my understanding, the only reason bronze was used is probably because it is easier than iron or steel to produce, which is due to the temperatures needed to smelt copper and tin versus iron. (The difficulty of making steel compared to plain iron is another story.)

If you're really set on trying to make such a blade, though, I'd be glad to talk to a metallurgist I know who is a spe......t in copper and copper alloys. I think it's a worthwhile project, but you should be aware that it may not turn out well.

It's actually kind of funny how few materials, in the grand scope of things, make good razors.

Steel sits right there in the area of hard enough to hold an edge but soft enough to not be brittle.

i'm basically looking to try my hand at grinding a blade, and i figure i should start on something softer than steel. Also, i'm a fan of different-colored blades, d/e and straight. I'd love to be able to anodize or plate a blade, although it would wear through on the spine and edge.

Sounds like you've got a plan.
Rock on with it! You never know what you can and can't. Do until you try.
Keep notes and take pics. I would like to see what you come up with.
I doubt that it will be shavable, but the experement will be cool non the less.
Thanks for thinking outside the box....er..in a much older box anyway. *grin*

Edit: you could also use a resist to do a pattern anadized blade and then the hone wear could be incorporated into the blade pattern as a top and bottom border.
Just a thought

Last edited:
i've seen a couple of bronze razors among reenactors, but usually they're iron with brass handles. here's some common types used by the Roman (1st to 2nd c.) guys:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

and a very small (travel size? :) ) original where the iron blade is gone, but the handle is pretty interesting:

proxy.php

it would ofcourse be the same colour but you could just use a softer steel than would usually be neccesary for a straight and have it as a realistic looking display piece and it give you some good practice.

Top Bottom