What's new

Bowl Powl

What kind of shaving bowl do you use?

• I face-lather. What is this thing you call a "bowl"?

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • I use a shaving mug, not a bowl.

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Some soup dish I stole out of my wife's kitchen.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Something I found and re-purposed.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • The $12 Timeless plastic bowl.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • I got this great shaving bowl on etsy or at a local artisan's shop.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • Captain's Choice ceramic.

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • Captains Choice copper.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Found an old antique thing that's got great character.

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters
One thing I noticed about yaqi's knockoff version of the Pereira bowl is that the size is quite different and I'm sure I would not like the smaller Yaqi version.

(Sent from mobile)
I had that with my - nearly retired - PAA travel scuttle. It’s inexpensive compared to proper scuttles but for a reason. Too narrow and deep so not so easy to get good lather without a pumping motion that really is stressing the brush…

I can change something I've posted? Tell me how, please. This is my first poll and I'm just learning.
It may be too late now, but for a short time there is an edit link on all of your posts.

5081945B-554D-4BD0-BE52-94CB2DF4808C.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to make my own bowls from certain size ceramic bowls and I secure nickels with JB Weld Marine bond (best bonder). Have made different ones for family members and they work well. The best one is this Fondo type bowl because its ceramic and holds heat log enough for a shave in the winter months and the handle is nice for holding it while mixing.
Gorilla glue works, the coins lift over time......Current excellent bowl......................Best bonding type for permanent bond
shaving bowl (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 5 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 4 (2).jpg

Pack in soap first....................................hold under hot water for 15-20 sec........mix for warm lather in winter months.
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 3 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl 1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I like to make my own bowls from certain size ceramic bowls and I secure nickels with JB Weld Marine bond (best bonder). Have made different ones for family members and they work well. The best one is this Fondo type bowl because its ceramic and holds heat log enough for a shave in the winter months and the handle is nice for holding it while mixing.
Gorilla glue works, the coins lift over time......Current excellent bowl......................Best bonding type for permanent bond
View attachment 1273093 View attachment 1273096 View attachment 1273094

Pack in soap first....................................hold under hot water for 15-20 sec........mix for warm lather in winter months.
View attachment 1273092 View attachment 1273095 View attachment 1273097
Have some great shaves!

I keep my soap in the same containers. They work great and I’ve been lucky enough to find a few at thrift stores. In my mind they let the soap dry out enough while keeping in the perfect amount of moisture. In reality I’m sure they do nothing of the sort! 😂
3804CC49-C84A-4FD6-A566-65B7C1E0698E.jpeg

However, they do look good and work well! 💈🖖🏼💈

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I keep my soap in the same containers. They work great and I’ve been lucky enough to find a few at thrift stores. In my mind they let the soap dry out enough while keeping in the perfect amount of moisture. In reality I’m sure they do nothing of the sort! 😂
View attachment 1273221
However, they do look good and work well! 💈🖖🏼💈
I have a back up I found recently, they are good bowls IMO.

Trust me the brush rest on the Pereira is huge. For instance the 34mm Razorock F-400 is a perfect fit.
size of the rest doesn't play into it.

It's easy to illustrate my point. Take a brush and set it on the end of a table, where the bristles are hanging out in the air, and only the handle is touching the table. If it falls over, then it will do the same in the Pereira and Fine bowls. For instance, the Zenith Silvertip P10 falls right over. And I've found several more that do the same thing.

And that's just when dry. When you get some wet lather all up in the knot, which moves the center of balance closer to the knot-end, you'll find that more brushes don't balance on the rests like the Pereira and Fine bowls have.

Brushes with short and/or lighter handles are more likely to not stay in the Pereira rest. But if a shaver, like you no doubt, has longer handled brushes and/or those made from denser materials, then they are more likely to be just fine.

I"m not saying it's a big deal if the brush rest doesn't hold one's brush. But since this thread could really help to educate those who are researching, I thought it was worth mentioning. I know I was disappointed when I had several brushes that didn't stay in the rest on my Fine bowl. I do plan to buy a pereira bowl some day, because I think the bowl might be a good size/shape for me. And for my brushes that don't balance on the rest, I think those nubs on the bottom might keep it from sinking down in the lather.

Now, the design used by the Roger Quintero bowl (his 3D design) has worked with almost 100 brushes that I've tried. it's able to give support right where the knot meets the handle. I'm sure there are other good designs out there, too.

In the beginning I struggled wit the Fine as well. Now it’s my best bowl for lathering croaps like Santa Maria del Fiore. I just put it on a flat surface and whisk like beating eggs. Holding it in the hand is awkward and leads to spillage.

You must generate a lot less, or drier, lather than I do. Doesn't matter where I put the Fine bowl. It still overflows too easily... very frustrating for me. Also I did find that people may like the Fine bowl if they use small brushes (my tiny semogue 1438 worked well in it) or ones with tons of backbone, that they don't splay very much when working up the lather. That gives room in the bowl for the lather to stay in. But I don't like high-backbone brushes.

size of the rest doesn't play into it.

It's easy to illustrate my point. Take a brush and set it on the end of a table, where the bristles are hanging out in the air, and only the handle is touching the table. If it falls over, then it will do the same in the Pereira and Fine bowls. For instance, the Zenith Silvertip P10 falls right over. And I've found several more that do the same thing.

And that's just when dry. When you get some wet lather all up in the knot, which moves the center of balance closer to the knot-end, you'll find that more brushes don't balance on the rests like the Pereira and Fine bowls have.

Brushes with short and/or lighter handles are more likely to not stay in the Pereira rest. But if a shaver, like you no doubt, has longer handled brushes and/or those made from denser materials, then they are more likely to be just fine.

I"m not saying it's a big deal if the brush rest doesn't hold one's brush. But since this thread could really help to educate those who are researching, I thought it was worth mentioning. I know I was disappointed when I had several brushes that didn't stay in the rest on my Fine bowl. I do plan to buy a pereira bowl some day, because I think the bowl might be a good size/shape for me. And for my brushes that don't balance on the rest, I think those nubs on the bottom might keep it from sinking down in the lather.

Now, the design used by the Roger Quintero bowl (his 3D design) has worked with almost 100 brushes that I've tried. it's able to give support right where the knot meets the handle. I'm sure there are other good designs out there, too.

You must generate a lot less, or drier, lather than I do. Doesn't matter where I put the Fine bowl. It still overflows too easily... very frustrating for me. Also I did find that people may like the Fine bowl if they use small brushes (my tiny semogue 1438 worked well in it) or ones with tons of backbone, that they don't splay very much when working up the lather. That gives room in the bowl for the lather to stay in. But I don't like high-backbone brushes.
Understood your tipping point example. I don’t mind a bit lather on the rest so I just move the brush a bit back on the rest so that it isn’t tipping into the bowl.

I dig backbone so there is not much splay in the Fine bowl with my brushes.

I voted artisan shop, but here's the deal. After breaking too many bowls, I bought a copper bowl with a handle. After a couple months it turns from that bright copper color to that green patina, which I like so I never polish it. Very classic looking. I love it. Here's the website where I bought it:

And a picture of what it looked like new:
proxy.php

I prefer to face lather but wanted to try bowl lathering and purchased a Captain’s Choice heavy duty copper bowl. It turns out that I still prefer to face lather. The copper bowl is high quality and does mix up a good lather. It also gave me an opportunity to experience a warm lather for each pass which I enjoyed.

Buying a premium lather bowl and seeing the pros and cons of face lathering vs bowl lathering I returned to face lathering but with a twist. The Dirty Bird brush scuttle allows my loaded brush to stay warm for each pass. For me the best of both worlds.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I only face lather, but have a unique crafted bowl for soaking and rinsing my brush. Also handy for a few swirls with tube creams.

I have a Captain's Choice ceramic bowl which I must leave out as I usually forget that I have it. I used it just after it arrived and it is a superb bowl. Both looks and works great, I just keep forgetting it having face lathered for years. I must make an effort to incorporate the bowl into my routine on a regular basis.

Top Bottom