What's new

Bought a few decants

Ordered a few decants of fragrances I had been curious about from Surrender to Chance (1ml samples). MY first order from them - they shipped very quickly. Good service. I am no expert so take it for what its worth but these are my takes on them after one trial on my arm each:

Annick Goutal Sables – Too sweet for me. Smells mostly like maple syrup
D.S. & Durga Mississippi Medicine – Smells like cedar chest and buckskin fringed jacket. I’m liking this one so far. Very unusual and dry (which I was hoping for). Want to give this some more time.
Etat Libre d'Orange Eloge du Traitre – Very similar to Yatagan, which I wear regularly. Think Yatagan with a bit of Paco Rabanne. Some similarities to Eucris also but a bit less of the fruit. Very nice but similar enough to Yatagan that I probably would only own one of the two.
Etat Libre d'Orange Rien – Take the rough rubber and leather notes from Knize Ten, amp them up and add Lilac Vegetal. Too much like a urinal cake for me. Wife hated this one.
Etat Libre d'Orange Vierges et Toreros – Interesting mix of floral and spicy leather. Not sure of this one yet but I want to give it more time.
Tauer Perfumes L'air du Desert Marocain – Spiced vanilla or marshmallow. I tried it on myself and really only get vanilla. Much sweeter than I expected. Tried it on my wife and she got some of the spiciness. Much more feminine than I hoped. Not for me but I could see how some would like it.

Thanks for posting that.
I was exploring Eloge du Traitre lately too. Red the story on their site, picked up a fougere vibe and that was it for me. Had to have it. I mean who in the sane state of mind could think up a story like that, connect it with that scent and go unpunished. This guy/girl? that does their marketing is baaaad, and I mean that in a good way.
Today I've been comparing EdT with Mister Marvelous. Both start weirdly dry and bitter and both have a fougere undertone. If there was such a category I would put them both in a bitter green fougere group. Unique blend of spices puts Eloge du Traitre closer to Lorenzo Villoresi's work but EdT is not as nearly opportunistic. Etat Libre d'Orange is really in their own league.
But then again so is Mr. Villoresi.

Top Bottom