What's new

Bought a Concept2 rower today.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've seen some of his YT stuff and I really like it. And holy moly, he generates some power! With max effort, I struggle to hit a per 500m pace of under 2 minutes -- TT rolls along at workout pace well under 2m/500.

Another good source for technique and row along video on YT is Dark Horse Rowing.
thx, tm3... I'll check him out.... I'm doing 2000m rows.... but I'm just starting.. I haven't hit the 3 minute per 500m yet... but I'm improving.

PS: I was subscribed to Dark Horse Rowing when I checked... I'll make sure to watch him... thx.

Reactions: tm3
Only thing more evil then a C2 are things like a Rogue Echo bike. Nothing says fun like a 500m sprint and not being able to walk.
Kill It With Fire GIF

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a pretty decent mountain bike sort of set up for road work so I don't plan to buy a stationary bike. Living in Florida, I don't have many good excuses not to actually go for a bike ride unless it's raining.

But I am certainly enjoying the C2. It's going to take me a while to get down to 3 minute 500m splits, but I'm making progress every day so far. I'm under 13 minutes now, as of today, for 2000m. 12:53.... I've been losing weight... and as that continues, that will make it easier too, no doubt.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Are you still rowing?
It takes a good little while and lots of determination.
I am happy doing my own comfortable pace and not trying to kill myself. I had 3 bucket list distances when I started and I have now checked off 2 of them. One is a half marathon and I have done it twice and this last Saturday I completed a full marathon. The only thing left on my rowing bucket list is a 50k but I’m going to wait a while for that.
I do self paced rows and also Apple Fitness Rowing workouts. And most mornings I am awake by 0300 and try to row and/or run for a total of 90 minutes. There are some days I just don’t have that in me to do but I do something. 10/20/30/40 minutes really slow but it’s something. And then there’s days I have to make myself slow down and stop myself before 2+ hours.
Just keep on chugging along!
More importantly; enjoy yourself so that you will keep on doing it.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Are you still rowing?
It takes a good little while and lots of determination.
I am happy doing my own comfortable pace and not trying to kill myself. I had 3 bucket list distances when I started and I have now checked off 2 of them. One is a half marathon and I have done it twice and this last Saturday I completed a full marathon. The only thing left on my rowing bucket list is a 50k but I’m going to wait a while for that.
I do self paced rows and also Apple Fitness Rowing workouts. And most mornings I am awake by 0300 and try to row and/or run for a total of 90 minutes. There are some days I just don’t have that in me to do but I do something. 10/20/30/40 minutes really slow but it’s something. And then there’s days I have to make myself slow down and stop myself before 2+ hours.
Just keep on chugging along!
More importantly; enjoy yourself so that you will keep on doing it.
I'm up to 3000 meters... all under 3 minutes per 500m now. I should get up to 4000m sometime this week.... 3500 then 4k
I'm really enjoying it... no danger of getting to where you are soon, though... 24 minutes is the next goal.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Got up to 4000m today.... still under 3 minutes per 500m, so that is nice. I'll be able to push it a bit more as the week continues. I was down to around 2 minutes 42 seconds at 2000m.... so I'd like to get there with 4000 pretty soon.

A Concept 2 should last many, many years... good pointer to look for Training Tall and Dark Horse rowing on youtube.

I've settled down to doing 5000m rows aiming for every other day. 5k is more than long enough and tiring enough to be an excellent workout without taking too long a time.

I always do it first thing in the morning... before I have any chance to avoid it ;-) . Get up, shorts on, chest heart rate monitor on, plug my wireless earbuds in for music and get it over with... note: make sure your ear buds are sufficiently waterproof/resistant - i killed a pair of sony xm3's with sweat. 🥵

I have some pairs of cycling shorts I use so that keeps my arse happy too.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got up to 5000m a few days ago now..... working on the time per 500 meters... I had it set for 2.55 yesterday and could just beat out the pace boat.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
We just got home after a month in Bali... dental tourism.... total implants top and bottom. We didn't get in until 2AM this morning and didn't get to sleep until 4AM but still woke up at 8AM. I'm a bit jet lagged... Today, the goals are simple: get all the new shaving gear delivered in our absence put away, get the suitcases unpacked... get a load or two of laundry in... and get to the grocery store sometime this afternoon.

I doubt I'll get a row in today, but certainly tomorrow. I really missed while we were gone. We did Lots of walking, including hundreds of uneven and tall steps (some well over 20") up and down cliffs to the various beaches. Plus lots of general walking from our hotel to the close-by beaches and restaurants. My calves are looking good, actually. I still haven't decided if I want to start where I left off... 5k row or something less. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I had a couple minor incidents that gave my back fits on the trip home.. nothing serious, but my back has been a problem since I was a teen. So, a bit more back pain than normal for me, but nothing that will last longer than couple days, I don't think.

My biggest fear about being in Bali for 28 days (not counting traveling days) was gaining weight since we didn't have a kitchen at our hotel. Well, I'm relieved to report, I lost 11 pounds as of this morning and I'm sure the net loss will be greater. Lots of salty foods on the trip home. There wasn't any way to avoid that, really, even though we avoided most of the food on the planes. I should know what the exact weight loss will be by Sunday or so. My goal was to stay at least even... and I did way better than that.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
We rented and then bought our Water Rower. It has a great action, provides a terrific work workout, and is quiet enough to watch TV while rowing. It is very easy to move from place to place and to stand on end to save room or stow. The wood is nice looking.

Just found this thread; I have a C2 which I love. I usually row twice a week; one "endurance" and one interval session. Today's row was just a steady state 6k.

Top Bottom