What's new

Bought a brush from eBay. Should I sanitize?

I bought a synthetic brush on eBay that says it was unused. It came in the box and was obviously opened but I can't tell if it's truly unused or not. I don't have a picture of it at this time but it is the kensurfs 2019 Christmas brush that appears discontinued.

It is a synthetic, and I don't know if I need to do any sanitizing to it before I use it or if just lathering it up with soap and a good rinse before first use is sufficient?

Thanks for opinions.

I wouldn't take chances. A good 3 minute soak in properly diluted Mar-V-Cide or Barbicide will give you peace of mind .My technique is to put the brush on the drip tray in the barber's jar and use the handle to dunk it up and down until a nice carbonation is in effect. I think those tiny bubbles help get deep down into the base of the knot where most bacteria accumulates ...

With natural hair brushes you can pretty much tell if the brush has been used- it blooms out. I don't think you get the same effect with synths, at least not in my experience. I would give it a good washing with some dish soap and lather your hand with it- about the best you can do.

How knows what weird things people do with their stuff before people buy it on the Bay. Kinda like buying used underwear or a preowned dental guard…I guess a deal is a deal.😂 Disinfect for sure before using around your mouth especially…my wife was a dental tech just saying.

Well, maybe I made a stupid choice buying one from eBay.

I figured maybe I would be ok as there is the synthetic brush pass around and people sell and PIF brushes on here but I guess I will have to see if I can get some barbicide or something.

Eben Stone

Staff member
The same concerns could be said about anything.

Out of the 11 brushes I've owned, only 2 were bought new.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

I'm more afraid of getting a parasite by walking barefoot in my backyard, or swimming in a river, than I am of getting a skin disease or kooties from a used shave brush.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Well, maybe I made a stupid choice buying one from eBay.

I figured maybe I would be ok as there is the synthetic brush pass around and people sell and PIF brushes on here but I guess I will have to see if I can get some barbicide or something.
Yes but B&B members are clean while everyone on Ebay is filthy; I thought everybody knew that 🤣 You made a perfectly fine choice, give the brush a couple of test lathers and use it.

Yep. I'm about to buy a cool vintage brush and do just that
Bought it...

il_1140xN.3936027986_43ei.jpg

The same concerns could be said about anything.

Out of the 11 brushes I've owned, only 2 were bought new.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

I'm more afraid of getting a parasite by walking barefoot in my backyard, or swimming in a river, than I am of getting a skin disease or kooties from a used shave brush.

That's a very valid point too. I should be more afraid of a Walmart shopping cart or a Taco Bell bathroom.

I think I will follow the wiki on cleaning a brush and give it the dish soap and vinegar treatment and then enjoy my new brush

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
For your own piece of mind, I would just give it a couple of test lathers and then let it dry. I used to be worried about buying used brushes, but a lot of mine that I purchased were used and after a few washes in dish washing detergent and a couple of lathers in soap I have had no issues so far.

Legion

Staff member
I would suggest that there are more cooties on a new natural hair brush than a used synthetic one.

That said, the good thing about shaving brushes is they are self washing. Make a couple of test lathers and you will be fine.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is not my area of expertise, but I suspect there is a great deal of fear on this subject based on absolutely no science. I eat in restaurants and don't bring my own plates and utensils. I'm not aware of any cooties that live for days and days on a dry shaving brush.

I'd give it a lather with Dawn dishwashing soap and live my life. I've been on the forum for ten years and have never read about anyone catching anything from a used brush.

I'm not well versed in brush "sanitation". It is an area in which I will have to brush up on.:biggrin1:

If there was any incling of it being used, I would definitely sanitize it in some fashion.

• Haha
Reactions: CCS
Put it this way, I don't sleep with unshowered women and I don't shave with, a new to me, unshowered (bathed?) brush.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I would just LOLOL haha sorry I was replying and just saw @CCS 's reply lol well done... uh.. oh right, yes, sanitize, for peace of mine and sanitizing doesn't have to be a chore. I usually just use some anti bac hand soap, lather it up and then some comb of Dawn/Zingari brush cleaner and away I go.

Top Bottom