What's new

Bought a brush from eBay. Should I sanitize?

Last year I bought a pretty brush from a famous artisan
in 25 years of shaving I had never received a brush dirty like this one .
after ten washes the water was still black ... never again!
Opposite , I bought used brushes that were more beautiful than when they were new.

the question of many is that often we cutting during shave and the brush could remain dirty.

but absurdly, even someone who mounts a knot in the new brush could have a bleeding finger or eczema or anything else on the hands 😄
so if in doubt a good wash and there are no problems
Happy shave !

Last year I bought a pretty brush from a famous artisan
in 25 years of shaving I had never received a brush dirty like this one .
after ten washes the water was still black ... never again!
Opposite , I bought used brushes that were more beautiful than when they were new.

the question of many is that often we cutting during shave and the brush could remain dirty.

but absurdly, even someone who mounts a knot in the new brush could have a bleeding finger or eczema or anything else on the hands 😄
so if in doubt a good wash and there are no problems
Happy shave !
Would love to know who the "artisan" was.

I wouldn't take chances. A good 3 minute soak in properly diluted Mar-V-Cide or Barbicide will give you peace of mind .My technique is to put the brush on the drip tray in the barber's jar and use the handle to dunk it up and down until a nice carbonation is in effect. I think those tiny bubbles help get deep down into the base of the knot where most bacteria accumulates ...
Cant go wrong with the Marvy. Gave the 10 minute dip to every used brush Ive purchased. As long as ratios are correct, shouldnt do any harm as bottle states its for brushes. I think it mentions natural hair brushes, but i would imagine synthetic would be fine. Maybe not though-never dipped a synthetic. It will temporarily turn the lighter portions of the hair a blue tint, but it disappears after a few uses.

I also go the extra mile and give them a bath in the ultrasonic (as well as old razors) before the Marvy dip. Unless theres a crack in the handle.

Some would say overboard, but who knows what was lathered. 😂

Top Bottom