What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

Guinness Nitro IPA - just to get rid of it. First can had a dud widget. Undrinkable - down the drain. Second can was tolerable.

Two from last night:

Cigar City "Florida Cracker" - a Belgian-style white ale with orange peel and coriander. One of my favorite summer beers.
Intuition Ale Works "Easy on the Eyes" - a session IPA with citrus notes. Very good.

Guinness Nitro IPA - just to get rid of it. First can had a dud widget. Undrinkable - down the drain. Second can was tolerable.

I bought a six pack of this and couldn't finish it, gave it away to my brothers and I don't think they drank it either. That was a first for me.

proxy.php

Two from last night:

Cigar City "Florida Cracker" - a Belgian-style white ale with orange peel and coriander. One of my favorite summer beers.
Intuition Ale Works "Easy on the Eyes" - a session IPA with citrus notes. Very good.
I'll drink a can of Florida Cracker now and again!

At the local beer/pizza place tonight:
North Coast Brewing Old Rasputin RIP - Founder's good!
Ballast Point Mango IPA - very drinkable and sessionable at 3.8%

Over the weekend: Sea Hag (NEBCo), Troegs Nimble Giant, Sweetwater Hop Hash IPA, Funky Bow "So Funkin' Hoppy" IPA (out of Maine)

(And I agree about the Guinness Nitro IPA and my wife works for them so I shouldn't trash them, but...its not great; I do enjoy their American Lager now and again; Diageo has had a couple of beer fails recently.)

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout

Cascade Noyaux - picked this up as we just got Cascade in WI, shared with the spousal unit and while she doesn't have the palate for beer that I do, we agreed that it wasn't anything special, especially at $28/750ml. :blink:

New brewery opening in my town called Norsemen brewery! Finally an alternative to The Blind Tiger and some competition might be interesting. :a17:

Over the weekend: Sea Hag (NEBCo), Troegs Nimble Giant, Sweetwater Hop Hash IPA, Funky Bow "So Funkin' Hoppy" IPA (out of Maine)

(And I agree about the Guinness Nitro IPA and my wife works for them so I shouldn't trash them, but...its not great; I do enjoy their American Lager now and again; Diageo has had a couple of beer fails recently.)
Love Guiness Blonde (that's the same as the American Lager right?), makes up for the IPA.

Last night:

3 Sheeps Really Cool Waterslides IPA. The carton label says they "dry hopped the bejeebers" out of this beer, and they were right. While it had a nice orange amber color to it, and a moderate head, it was just too hop "bittery" for me. 3 Sheeps is a brewery located in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. I didn't like this one, but their Cashmere Hammer Nitro Rye Stout is excellent.

Founder's Centennial IPA. Deep amber color, minimal foam. 7.2% ABV. Whoever is writing the "sell" copy on the bottles of Founder's offerings must be my clone, because they have been spot on accurate in their description. Here:

"Get ready to bask in the glory of the frothy head's floral bouquet.
Relish the citrus accents from the abundance of dry hopping.
This one's sweet, yet balanced. Malty undertones shake hands
with the hop character for a finish that never turns too bitter."

And that's it. That's what it's like. Did I tell you guys that I love Founder's as a brewery!

Don

@ Black Adder - dry hopping shouldn't add any bitterness to the beer, only aroma and flavor. I suspect they just cranked up the IBU's in it as well.

Really? I kind of thought hops had quite an effect on the bitterness... at least that's what they tell me here:

http://learn.kegerator.com/hop-usage/

Anyway, that 3 Sheeps was kind of a disappointment. Should have never bought the 6 pack without sampling it first. Today I picked up a 6 pack mix and match of Founders, including:

Devil Dancer
ReDANKulous
All Day IPA
Rubaeus
Dirty Bastard,
and Mosaic Promise

I've been telling everyone about Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout and I think it has backfired on me... all the stores are out!

Don

P.S. - Ahh, but I see they say that dry hopping shouldn't add significantly to any bitterness. Live and learn!

Last edited:
Yeah, that Founder's stuff is really hard to choke down! The only one of your recent pickups that I have tried is the All Day IPA. It is a good IPA, but not off-the-charts like the darker stuff. Curious to see how you like it...

Yeah, that Founder's stuff is really hard to choke down! The only one of your recent pickups that I have tried is the All Day IPA. It is a good IPA, but not off-the-charts like the darker stuff. Curious to see how you like it...

I really enjoyed All Day the first time I had it, in bottles, next time I got it in cans and it didn't satisfy. Strange. Maybe a bad batch. It is good, just not going back to it.

Had the Founder's Rubaeus tonight. 5.7 ABV, 15 IBU. This is the first red beer I've tried, and they describe it as a pure raspberry ale.

I liked it. It kind of had a "soda pop" quality about it, but it drank easily. Good balance between sweetness and a tart, raspberry tang. It had a refreshing quality to it, and would be a great summertime drink. It settled in easily. If you don't like wine coolers or ciders this one probably wouldn't be for you. You'd have to like raspberries, too. I could see keeping this one in my arsenal.

Don

Top Bottom