What's new

Boker Elite Carbon 3.0

I probably shouldn't have but was seduced by the beautiful design of the Razor. I Just received my second straight razor I have purchased. I am extremely impressed with the fit and finish of the Boker. It is awesome, stunning even. The feel of the Carbon Fiber scales makes the Ralf Aust plastic ones feel cheap! I am planning to shave with it tonight and will update with my experience.
Boker Carbon 1.jpg
Boker Carbon 6.jpg
Boker Carbon 7.jpg
Boker Carbon 8.jpg
Boker Carbon 9.jpg
Boker Carbon 13.jpg
Boker Carbon 10.jpg

I'm guessing it's a full hollow grind. She looks like a beauty, the blade is a similar shape to my second TI (which I love). The scales look smart, I was recently tempted by an Austrlian made razor that had carbon fibre scales and red lining. This should bring many happy shaves.

I love the shoulderless design. Can anyone comment on how the Carbon Elite shaves compared to a Dovo Bismarck?

The modern Böker Elite razor series has a thinner grind meaning that they are noisier when shaving with them. The grind is actually so thin that the blade flexes a bit to follow the contour of you face and thus it shaves really close. Some shavers (not I) dislike the flexing. Finally the fit and finish is better on the Böker razors. I still find the Dovo Thumb notch series to be very fine razors, and I am a fan of the Dovo Flowing that always will have its place in my collection.

20201017_102504.jpg
20201017_102515.jpg

I'm guessing it's a full hollow grind. She looks like a beauty, the blade is a similar shape to my second TI (which I love). The scales look smart, I was recently tempted by an Austrlian made razor that had carbon fibre scales and red lining. This should bring many happy shaves.
The grind of the Böker Elite razors is thinner than that of the TI razors. Actually they are both grand razors of different flavor, so you really should get a Böker too.:devil:

@Polarbeard, thanks for that and nice collection! Your are clearly a lover of the shoulderless design. In my short journey, I have only bought three new razors - a Dovo Carre and two Gold Dollar P81/1996s - all shoulderless. The Elite Carbon is now on my "thinking about it" list. Just curious, do you have any experience with the Bergischer Lowe? I am intrigued by its Spanish point.

I also noticed that the Boker website only shows the Carbon Elite SE 2.0 with the Spanish point whereas TSS has the Carbon Elite 3.0 with a round point. This stuff can get confusing.

I do own the Bergischer Löwe 5/8 in horn scales. It's a very fine razor and priced as such. The only issue I've had with it that it didn't come shave ready. None of Dovo's razors do, but for the price Dovo demands for the B.L. I think it's a disgrace that can't hone them properly before sending them off.

In my personal opinion the Böker Elite with the Spanish point should be avoided by all but very experienced straight razor shavers. The point isn't muted and it will be thirsting for your blood. It's actually the only razor that has cut me for quite some years. After the incident I muted the point and now it's a very fine shaver, the one I've been shaving with the last week actually. There's a reason as to why round pointed razors are the most common ones: They are just as good shavers as all other razors, but they are very easy to shave with without cutting yourself. Then again a Spanish or French point is more pleasing to the eye. Vanity is my favourite sin.

I'm a bit ashamed to confess this, but I've got quite an extensive razor collection, with a lot of thumb notch razors. When it comes to modern thumb notch razors I'd recommend you to take a look at these (besides from Böker and Dovo):
  • The Wacker "Barbier's Bride". The Wacker Chevalier is more beautiful, but the "Barbier's Bride" is more practical.
  • The Ralf Aust 6/8 thumb notch razor.
  • The Thiers Issard 7/8 (actually 15/16) thumb notch razor. It's magical and beautiful. I do have it in three different configurations and I won't let go of any of them.
  • Edit: the heavier 6/8 version is good too, com to think about it so is the 5/8 version. All three are made from different blanks.
  • Revisor makes 6/8 thumb notch razors that are a bit like Dovo's but to a lower price and with better finish.
  • Edit 2: Koraat makes a magnificent 1/4 hollow version, but it'll drain your wallet.
Whatever you do NEVER buy the Timor version. It has more in common with Pakistan than Solingen.

20201017_TI.jpg

The best thumb notch razors ever made in (once again) my personal opinion are however no longer in production:
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.31 5/8
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.32 5/8
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.33 5/8
I don't own a 33, but then again I've only been hunting for one since 2008.
Honorable mentions go to:
  • Puma 52 half hollow both the 5/8 and 6/8 versions
  • Erik Anton Berg all the way from 4/8 up to 8/8.
I suspect that the above won't lessen your SRAD, but I do hope that it might lead you in the right direction and make you see the light. Please read my motto below. :em2300:

20201017_Hellberg.jpg

20201017_cvh31.jpg

Last edited:
That was enormously helpful, @Polarbeard - thanks! I probably won't think about another new razor until 2021. I am currently full tunnel vision on honing to get the best edge I can on my Carre.

But I will add what Arne says about razors is top-notch info, and I will stand by what he says and he guided me towards the light of very fine razors.

How can I buy the Issard razor in the picture?
I do own the Bergischer Löwe 5/8 in horn scales. It's a very fine razor and priced as such. The only issue I've had with it that it didn't come shave ready. None of Dovo's razors do, but for the price Dovo demands for the B.L. I think it's a disgrace that can't hone them properly before sending them off.

In my personal opinion the Böker Elite with the Spanish point should be avoided by all but very experienced straight razor shavers. The point isn't muted and it will be thirsting for your blood. It's actually the only razor that has cut me for quite some years. After the incident I muted the point and now it's a very fine shaver, the one I've been shaving with the last week actually. There's a reason as to why round pointed razors are the most common ones: They are just as good shavers as all other razors, but they are very easy to shave with without cutting yourself. Then again a Spanish or French point is more pleasing to the eye. Vanity is my favourite sin.

I'm a bit ashamed to confess this, but I've got quite an extensive razor collection, with a lot of thumb notch razors. When it comes to modern thumb notch razors I'd recommend you to take a look at these (besides from Böker and Dovo):
  • The Wacker "Barbier's Bride". The Wacker Chevalier is more beautiful, but the "Barbier's Bride" is more practical.
  • The Ralf Aust 6/8 thumb notch razor.
  • The Thiers Issard 7/8 (actually 15/16) thumb notch razor. It's magical and beautiful. I do have it in three different configurations and I won't let go of any of them.
  • Edit: the heavier 6/8 version is good too, com to think about it so is the 5/8 version. All three are made from different blanks.
  • Revisor makes 6/8 thumb notch razors that are a bit like Dovo's but to a lower price and with better finish.
  • Edit 2: Koraat makes a magnificent 1/4 hollow version, but it'll drain your wallet.
Whatever you do NEVER buy the Timor version. It has more in common with Pakistan than Solingen.

View attachment 1169895

The best thumb notch razors ever made in (once again) my personal opinion are however no longer in production:
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.31 5/8
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.32 5/8
  • Heljestrand M.K. No.33 5/8
I don't own a 33, but then again I've only been hunting for one since 2008.
Honorable mentions go to:
  • Puma 52 half hollow both the 5/8 and 6/8 versions
  • Erik Anton Berg all the way from 4/8 up to 8/8.
I suspect that the above won't lessen your SRAD, but I do hope that it might lead you in the right direction and make you see the light. Please read my motto below. :em2300:

View attachment 1169897
View attachment 1169896
:laugh:

I looked long at that very same carbon Boker but could not find one locally. Our countries import and postal services is in shambles so I elected to get a Bismarck MOP from a local vendor. That got my thumb notch itch really itchy and an appreciation for shoulders designs. Another more recent acquisition but you get the picture.

Attachments

• FFC9F419-A045-4030-87B8-37B21DAA6C2F.jpeg
    FFC9F419-A045-4030-87B8-37B21DAA6C2F.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12

I don't know the answer to your exact question and I don't know where you live, but I do know that Adam at The Invisible Edge has a wide selection of TI razors at:

I recently ordered one that is in transit from the UK to New Jersey.

I don't know the answer to your exact question and I don't know where you live, but I do know that Adam at The Invisible Edge has a wide selection of TI razors at:

I recently ordered one that is in transit from the UK to New Jersey.
thank you for you advice :laugh: 7/8 issard really great

Top Bottom