What's new

Boker Damascus

I thought I read some smiths weld a different steel to the blank for the edge?

For what it's worth I found this.

Damascus Buffalo Horn

Exclusive straight razor made of 300 layers of handforged Damascus. The long tradition of high quality Boker Damascus knives continues with the release of the straight razors. At the same time, a new technical standard is set. Normally, the production of Damascus razors stopped at 180 layers of steel. There were inherent dangers when using the normal forging process, that the thin blade would reveal different layers of steel on the cutting edge, thus causing a "micro saw." Our Damascus forger solved this problem and forges the blades for Boker Damascus razors out of more than 300 layers of high quality carbon steel (high edge retention, non-stainless). The center layers of the blade get paralleled, thereby creating an even, smooth edge for a perfect shave result. The blade, with its high hardness, is extremely sharp, without the danger of chipping. The handle scales are made of hand picked black buffalo horn from France, and show a beautiful contrast to the handforged blade with more than 300 layers of Damascus steel. The Boker Damascus razor is made by hand in 170 steps in the Boker Manfactory in Solingen, Germany. Delivered in a wooden presentation case with a certificate of authenticity. Blade: 5/8".

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail_discontinued.html?s=BO140506DAM

And here is Bill Ellis.

An excellent knife/razor maker, Tim Zowada, solved the microchip problem by running the pattern parallel to the edge. I decided to tackle the problem a little differently. I had Robert weld a narrow strip of 1084 carbon steel on the edge of the billet. That way I get the beauty of the damascus and the surefire edge of a solid piece of steel along the cutting edge. You get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

http://razortips.blogspot.com/2009/08/damascus-razor-start-to-finish-part-one.html

Last edited:
$70k Honda=Acura NSX

You therefore are now justified in purchasing a Damascus Boker! Enjoy!

That is some very good enabling. My wife would shoot me if I even thought about dropping more than our house payment on a razor. :lol: don't get me wrong I would LOVE to have one of these.

That is some very good enabling. My wife would shoot me if I even thought about dropping more than our house payment on a razor. :lol: don't get me wrong I would LOVE to have one of these.

She'd only shoot you if she found out how much it really cost. If you simply pass it off as "yeah...just another razor..." then there's no harm done.

I have had around twenty shaves so far with the TZ and I swear its getting sharper! But you don't see the damascus right to the edge on the TZ like it does on the boker either.

TZ razors take a phenomenally sharp edge.

I think that is just the acid wash. The steel is the same right to the edge.

Yes. Damascus is usually two different types of steel folded together. They react differently to the acid bath which exposes the pattern.

For what it's worth I found this.

Damascus Buffalo Horn

Exclusive straight razor made of 300 layers of handforged Damascus. The long tradition of high quality Boker Damascus knives continues with the release of the straight razors. At the same time, a new technical standard is set. Normally, the production of Damascus razors stopped at 180 layers of steel. There were inherent dangers when using the normal forging process, that the thin blade would reveal different layers of steel on the cutting edge, thus causing a "micro saw." Our Damascus forger solved this problem and forges the blades for Boker Damascus razors out of more than 300 layers of high quality carbon steel (high edge retention, non-stainless). The center layers of the blade get paralleled, thereby creating an even, smooth edge for a perfect shave result. The blade, with its high hardness, is extremely sharp, without the danger of chipping. The handle scales are made of hand picked black buffalo horn from France, and show a beautiful contrast to the handforged blade with more than 300 layers of Damascus steel. The Boker Damascus razor is made by hand in 170 steps in the Boker Manfactory in Solingen, Germany. Delivered in a wooden presentation case with a certificate of authenticity. Blade: 5/8".

http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail_discontinued.html?s=BO140506DAM

And here is Bill Ellis.

An excellent knife/razor maker, Tim Zowada, solved the microchip problem by running the pattern parallel to the edge. I decided to tackle the problem a little differently. I had Robert weld a narrow strip of 1084 carbon steel on the edge of the billet. That way I get the beauty of the damascus and the surefire edge of a solid piece of steel along the cutting edge. You get the best of both worlds, so to speak.

http://razortips.blogspot.com/2009/08/damascus-razor-start-to-finish-part-one.html

These are a bit different than the first batch of Boker damascus blades. These are described as 180 layer stainless damascus. Somewhat unique but I don't think enough to support that pricing.

19 years married, two kids.

I have a personal discretionary bank account (not much in there...), and have all my razor goods shipped to me at the office.

:lol::lol:

They would think it was a bit funny if I had my stuff shipped to work. My paypal is my discretionary bank account.

Last edited:
I love these types of razors. The price is so ridiculously high that it isn't even a temptation. They sure are purty though.

I am four years late, and I believe a decision has been made. Only a few old stock are in market and I obtained #217 of 500 from a reputable blade dealer in Maryland - their last one.

Overall: the razor came in a wooden box for presentation (therefore double the width than a storage box). The wooden box quality was so so, does not justify its 800 buck price.

The razor - I order it and requested not being horned - it came untouched and wrapped with a black plastic blade wrap as many kitchen knives. The steel appear to be a master piece. According to Boker website, it is forged by 180 layers, and some source says it is 150 or 300 - does not make a big difference on such a small blade. The spine feels very solid and smooth (consider Damascus steel, well beats my kitchen knifes up to Randy Hass). It should because 150+ layers on such a small piece and the high price tag as an HHH Santoku, Never owned a Kreamer thus cannot judge that. The weight is well balanced. The blade is just hollow - not extra hollow. The edge has 0.8mm belt polished. The pattern does not appear as dazzling as it is in the pictures - one needs a lope to see the details. The edge was very smooth - better than carbon steel (and should be). As no horn was done, it barely pass the hair test.

Scale: synthetic ivory. It is reasonably balanced - not on par of bone (compared with an Edelweiss) when holding in hand. The piece is overall light to medium weighted. I believe synthetic ivory was chosen for a prolong'ed life, to match its blade. It is well built.

I bought it for collection purpose - a handful new old stock left on market. I do have a compel to use it - but decide to keep it as of now because I still feel carbon was the best to make the cut.

I am four years late, and I believe a decision has been made. Only a few old stock are in market and I obtained #217 of 500 from a reputable blade dealer in Maryland - their last one.

Overall: the razor came in a wooden box for presentation (therefore double the width than a storage box). The wooden box quality was so so, does not justify its 800 buck price.

The razor - I order it and requested not being horned - it came untouched and wrapped with a black plastic blade wrap as many kitchen knives. The steel appear to be a master piece. According to Boker website, it is forged by 180 layers, and some source says it is 150 or 300 - does not make a big difference on such a small blade. The spine feels very solid and smooth (consider Damascus steel, well beats my kitchen knifes up to Randy Hass). It should because 150+ layers on such a small piece and the high price tag as an HHH Santoku, Never owned a Kreamer thus cannot judge that. The weight is well balanced. The blade is just hollow - not extra hollow. The edge has 0.8mm belt polished. The pattern does not appear as dazzling as it is in the pictures - one needs a lope to see the details. The edge was very smooth - better than carbon steel (and should be). As no horn was done, it barely pass the hair test.

Scale: synthetic ivory. It is reasonably balanced - not on par of bone (compared with an Edelweiss) when holding in hand. The piece is overall light to medium weighted. I believe synthetic ivory was chosen for a prolong'ed life, to match its blade. It is well built.

I bought it for collection purpose - a handful new old stock left on market. I do have a compel to use it - but decide to keep it as of now because I still feel carbon was the best to make the cut.
Did you ever shave with the razor? I was just reading about them and realised they are Damasteel - which, from my experience, is an excellent steel. Wondering how it shaves.

Top Bottom