What's new

Boiling water when shaving?

Do you use boiling water for your shave?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
I use my Keurig coffee machine (leave out the k-cup) to grab about 10-12 oz of very hot water in a snap. Just hot enough to last the whole shave.

Personally I use lukewarm water for washing and shaving - it´s better for the skin and provides for dryness.

Greetings

Andreas

Somewhere in one of the many threads here, Bruno (Leon) from Vintage Scent
strongly advised against this, but it's your brush, your money and YMMV.

On very cold days, I like to use boiling water.

When I want a full, 1800s Victorian-era shave...I...

Take my scuttle to the kitchen.

Fill with boiling water.

Take back to bathroom.

Stick brush in. Add soap.

Take out brush. Shake off hot water back into scuttle via soap-dish.

Apply hot brush to face and swizzle around.

Redip brush into boiling water.

Lather on the soap-dish.

Lather on face.

Shave-pass.

Repeat as necessary.

Result: Beautiful hot lather.

So you heat water to 212 degrees, which is too hot to apply to face without serious burns,, then let it cool to a temperature that is usable, but was already attained a few minutes ago on the way to 212 degrees F

I used to help my grandfather and uncles slaughter hogs in the fall of the year, after killing and bleeding the beast they would dip it in boiling water (ropes, hoist and 100 gallon tub) to make the hair fall out to make rendering easier

gee, I wonder where boar bristles come from???? can't be good for the brush

ken

After placing my mug filled with water into the microwave for 1 minute the temperature is at 130 degrees, you must have a super microwave if your water can reach 212 degrees in 1 minute. What brand microwave do you have?

I have an instant hot water dispenser that works great for shaving and for tea. I half fill a bowl. Place it in the scuttle with your brush. Strop your razor. Then add a little cooler water, dump my micro fiber cloth, and give myself a 2 minute prep usually with lather.

This boiling water question has been on my mind since ordering my first scuttle! I'm not sure if I'll soak the brush in boiling hot or just plain hot tap (just a Tweezerman so far but still...) yet I'm intrigued by the idea of boiling water in the bottom, chamber of my scuttle while I shower, them whip up some hot lather. Cannot wait to test this hypothesis!

OP: If the regular boiling water isn't doing it for you, you can add salt to the water to raise its boiling point a few degrees. I hate to see a man use lather that's not hot enough. :)

Steve

After my shower I activate an electric tea kettle and use the hot water to work up a lather in my shaving soap cup. Enough heat is dissipated that it is pleasantly warm and comfortable and not unbearably hot. I rinse my face with warm tap water. This works for me.

I put boiling water in the outer bowl of my brush scuttle. I use hot water inside it for soaking my brush and later making lather in. I also add some boiling water to the large bowl that I place the small towel in for the 'hot towel' treatment. boiling water is essential to my shave.

I did this for the first and only time yesterday because the Township put out an advisory that we had to boil our water before using it for a couple of days...some pump/contamination problem...hooray.

My razor felt like a curling iron touching my face every time I rinsed it off.

Bad shave. A couple of nicks. NEVER AGAIN!

Back to CWS today, water is safe again!

So you heat water to 212 degrees, which is too hot to apply to face without serious burns,, then let it cool to a temperature that is usable, but was already attained a few minutes ago on the way to 212 degrees F

I used to help my grandfather and uncles slaughter hogs in the fall of the year, after killing and bleeding the beast they would dip it in boiling water (ropes, hoist and 100 gallon tub) to make the hair fall out to make rendering easier

gee, I wonder where boar bristles come from???? can't be good for the brush

ken

Maybe he lives high in the moutains, Ken :tongue_sm:tongue_sm:tongue_sm

I used to help my grandfather and uncles slaughter hogs in the fall of the year, after killing and bleeding the beast they would dip it in boiling water (ropes, hoist and 100 gallon tub) to make the hair fall out

You'd think this would help remove hair from your face, but in my experience, the shave was worse.

With my well water, using very hot water only makes getting a good lather harder. I even stopped using my scuttle. I get a much better lather and shave using warm water. Also I imagine that brushes come with the instructions "Do not boil" for a reason.

Top Bottom