What's new

Boiling water when shaving?

Do you use boiling water for your shave?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have probably got into a bad habit and before having a shave I mostly boil a kettle and then pour the water into a mug where my shaving brush sits to just under the handle level.

I appreciate its probably not the best way to have along serving brush, but still i continue to do it this way. I love the warm lather.

Anyone else use boiling water for their shave in this manner or perhaps another way?

I keep the heat in by submerging my bowl in hot water for the duration of my shower. It keeps the heat in fairly well. It could be better, but at this point I'm more concerned about building a nice, rich lather than keeping it hot :lol:

I'd like to try it. Since having my first child a few months ago, we had to turn the water heater temp down and I can't get very hot water out of the tap anymore. I have this gorgeous old English scuttle that I have thought about filling with boiling water. If only it didn't take so long for the kettle to boil....

I keep the heat in by submerging my bowl in hot water for the duration of my shower. It keeps the heat in fairly well. It could be better, but at this point I'm more concerned about building a nice, rich lather than keeping it hot :lol:

+1 here. I do the same, works pretty well.

The one thing I've found with doing this is it tends to break the lather down. :mad3:

I find that just hot tap water works the best for me. :001_smile

Please note that that's what I do, its IMHO, and of course YMMV. :wink2:

I started out my first shave by boiling some water in a teapot and then soaking my brush in it while I showered. Once I didn't have time to boil the water and went with as hot a water as I could get from the tap and the cold lather was near unbearable to my previously pampered, warm lathered, face. And I have boiled or near-boiled my water ever since. It just makes a world of difference in my opinion.

I fill my mug with water and microwave it for 1 minute. I soak my brush in the mug for a few seconds, then I place a wash cloth in the sink and pour the hot water over the cloth, while the water is cooling a little, I whip up my lather.
With the wash cloth still hot I place the cloth on my beard for a minute or so. Feels good! Lather my beard and start shaving.

So you heat water to 212 degrees, which is too hot to apply to face without serious burns,, then let it cool to a temperature that is usable, but was already attained a few minutes ago on the way to 212 degrees F

I used to help my grandfather and uncles slaughter hogs in the fall of the year, after killing and bleeding the beast they would dip it in boiling water (ropes, hoist and 100 gallon tub) to make the hair fall out to make rendering easier

gee, I wonder where boar bristles come from???? can't be good for the brush

ken

I have probably got into a bad habit and before having a shave I mostly boil a kettle and then pour the water into a mug where my shaving brush sits to just under the handle level.

I appreciate its probably not the best way to have along serving brush, but still i continue to do it this way. I love the warm lather.

Anyone else use boiling water for their shave in this manner or perhaps another way?

I do pretty much the same. I have 7 brushes in rotation. None have shown any problems in more than two years.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I use the hottest tap water to soak my brush (I shave before showering). Sometimes add a little boiling water to hot tap water for brush. I usually add some boiling water to my scuttle which already has hot tap water, brings the water temp up without getting into scalding my skin range. Nice warm lather, no harm to brush. I don't know if boiling water is bad for the brush or not, but why take chances?

Yes for the mugs, lather and razor cleaning via the Hot Pot. I do not use it on my face. Warm water shaving is the best! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I find boiling first helps with the heard water I have, i boil and pour out a mug full, I shower and then drop my brush in when I get out.

I was using hot water from my espresso machine, but I'm afraid it might have contributed to my brush turning into a shedder, so now I mix some cold filtered water into the espresso machine water to bring it to a safe to touch temperature before putting my brush in it to soak.

I was using hot water from my espresso machine, but I'm afraid it might have contributed to my brush turning into a shedder.
Yes, I am worried that the rate of break down would be significantly increased with such hot water. I used to use the hottest I could get out of the tap because I loved the hot lather...... but I'm still enjoying my shaves.

No, but sometimes I start the coffee before I shower...
+1 :lol::lol:

By the time I make my last pass, I have pretty much changed to cold water shaving. I don't think water that hot would be good for the lather and I certainly don't like the idea of using really hot water on my face.

I keep our Rinnai set to 104* and I'm too lazy to walk into the kitchen where the control is to change it (I need to run another control). In the winter we have a kettle of water simmering/boiling on the back of the woodstove, so I just carry it into the bathroom and when I'm running 104* water I supplement it with the boiling water to get it to my liking for a shave. I do put water from the kettle onto my soap too. I never put the boiling water on the brush.

Top Bottom