What's new

Boar or Horse?

Hi guys, about 4 months in to wet shaving and curious about a new brush (currently have a Frank Shaving Best Badger which I am enjoying).

Both the Semogue Boar's and the Vie-Long Horse brushes seem to be getting great reviews.

I face lather exclusively and think I want a brush with a little more backbone, and on the fence about a Semogue 610 or a Vie Long Beehive.

I primarily use hard tallow soaps (Mike's & Mystic Water), but have been experimenting with some softer soaps (loving the Razorock King Louis Lavender Karite).

Would like to try both brushes, but the wife has lately been taking notice of all the soaps that have been showing up........:biggrin1:

Any thoughts on these two or others?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
if you like facelathering,boar without any doubt.

Cheers

Care to elaborate? I got a Semogue 620 for Christmas and it's a face lathering precision tool. It builds ample lather, but you're able to control where it goes (nostrils, ears, whatever your preference). But there are plenty of pages here that talk about what good face latherers the Horse brushes are. Too many to find and link too. Just do a google site search (Horse brush face lather site:badgerblade.com)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
David:
I've had all three brushes (badger, boar and horse), and I beleive that horse has all the best aspects of badger and boar combined.

Why not buy both (and hide them from the Mrs.)?
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Happiness is the [shaving] brush that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Last edited:
It all comes down to you. Some folks like boar while others like horse or badger etc.

I did settle down to horse and was quite happy. Made a great face-latherer using both creams and soaps.

Then I tried the Muhle synthetic Fiber and now it is my only brush.

If your going to stick to natural I would suggest horse. It just seems to have all the better qualities of badger and boar combined.

Good Luck.

I face lather exclusively and bought a SOC in boar based on how much love it gets but I was disapointed. My badgers feel better on the face and the SOC seems to be a lather hog. It will probably go on the BST and I wanted to like it so much.

I love my cheap Vie-Long 12705 horse.
I love my cheap B+B Essential boar.

I might love the horse a little more than the boar but it's close.
I have come to prefer both to the SOC boar.

I have a dyed Vie-Long that has a "hole" in the middle, it still lathers well and the handle is my favorite. There are few threads of others talking about this same hole and it seems (to me) that it affects only the dyed Horse Vie-Long's (not the Horse/Badger mix). So if you do get the Beehive, I would recommend getting the Natural Horse Hair.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom