What's new

boar hair knots

www.thegoldennib.com

I have two from him, one is the inexpensive Pure Bristle (or whatever it is labeled), and the other is the UK Boar.

Honestly, they are both nice. I use the cheaper one often (24mm) and like it better than my Omega Pro49 by far. I gave the other to my brother (it was a vintage NOS Old Spice brush, it matched his mug).

I think I may even prefer the cheaper one.

www.thegoldennib.com

I have two from him, one is the inexpensive Pure Bristle (or whatever it is labeled), and the other is the UK Boar.

Honestly, they are both nice. I use the cheaper one often (24mm) and like it better than my Omega Pro49 by far. I gave the other to my brother (it was a vintage NOS Old Spice brush, it matched his mug).

I think I may even prefer the cheaper one.

Just to confirm, you have the Pure Bristle (approximately $6.95)? And you purchased, but no longer have, the UK Boar? And you have not tried the Omega branded boar?

If the above is accurate, how do you find the softness of the tips on the Pure Bristle? The description gives it the worst rating (5) on the softness scale but there is no other value provided for the other boar options. I have an Omega brush now and would like to know if this Pure Bristle option is as soft as that or if the tips are more scritchy.

Thanks,
CZ

Just to confirm, you have the Pure Bristle (approximately $6.95)? And you purchased, but no longer have, the UK Boar? And you have not tried the Omega branded boar?

If the above is accurate, how do you find the softness of the tips on the Pure Bristle? The description gives it the worst rating (5) on the softness scale but there is no other value provided for the other boar options. I have an Omega brush now and would like to know if this Pure Bristle option is as soft as that or if the tips are more scritchy.

Thanks,
CZ

Yes I have the Pure Bristle...I find it comfortable and scrubby not scritchy. I never put the UK boar to my face, as I said I gave it away, and I did not buy any of the omega's as my brush handles didn't fit them (IIRC).

I have an Omega Pro 49, and the tips are pretty well broken in, but I don't use it much, it's too floppy. The TGN Pure Bristle is not really broken in yet, so I can't really make an honest comparison, but if I had to guess, I would say it will eventually be as soft (I could also be wrong).

PM me in a month or so and ask again, I'll try to break it in more. :tongue_sm

Yes I have the Pure Bristle...I find it comfortable and scrubby not scritchy. I never put the UK boar to my face, as I said I gave it away, and I did not buy any of the omega's as my brush handles didn't fit them (IIRC).

I have an Omega Pro 49, and the tips are pretty well broken in, but I don't use it much, it's too floppy. The TGN Pure Bristle is not really broken in yet, so I can't really make an honest comparison, but if I had to guess, I would say it will eventually be as soft (I could also be wrong).

PM me in a month or so and ask again, I'll try to break it in more. :tongue_sm

Thanks for the perspective. It just seems difficult to compare on the website when one has a softness rating and none of the others do. Also, for half the price it just seems like a great deal.

Thanks again,
CZ

Thanks for the perspective. It just seems difficult to compare on the website when one has a softness rating and none of the others do. Also, for half the price it just seems like a great deal.

Thanks again,
CZ

No problem. I'll get a picture tonight so you can see it now.

I think it is definitely worth the $7, especially if you like boar brushes.

Here is my restored Barbershop Pure Bristle with a 24mm boar knot from TGN.

Used it this morning for maybe the 3rd time ( plus a few test lathers). The tiniest bit of scratchiness, which very well may go away.

proxy.php

Thanks. The handle is going to get sanded and restained because some of the finish has chipped off, so water gets under there. It really does lather wonderfully.

Top Bottom