What's new

Boar brush break in

I started something new to me. I don't know if anyone else does this but I'm usually never first to an idea: ) I keep about seven or eight brushes of different kinds right in my bathroom and I change them out every few months. (I have several dozen) I hand lather my boar and mixed boar every other day when I'm not using them to facilitate the break in. Has anyone else done something like this with success?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
After much reading, I have tried this method. Put the boar in the refrigerator in a mug of water for 24 hours. Then hand lather, give it a good towel dry workout, dry, then repeat as necessary. Of course, using the boar everyday shaving also works!!!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
There’s also a method @RayClem uses. I reflect on it when I‘m not pretending my future doesn’t include a Zenith Scrubby Chubby and/or Omega 10051:

There are a number of methods to break in a boar brush. The normal on is to keep using it until the tips of the bristles split on their own. Some people soak the brush and put in in the freezer. Some work the brush back and forth on sandpaper. The method I used was to dip just the bristles of the brush in hot water, slightly below the boiling point, for just a few seconds. Then I removed it an allowed the bristles to cool. I repeated this process several times until the tips split. That brush is now one of the softest in my collection, including some high end badger brushes.

I started something new to me. I don't know if anyone else does this but I'm usually never first to an idea: ) I keep about seven or eight brushes of different kinds right in my bathroom and I change them out every few months. (I have several dozen) I hand lather my boar and mixed boar every other day when I'm not using them to facilitate the break in. Has anyone else done something like this with success?

I found that after your initial breaking in. I do a medium towel workout on my boars right after a shave. The towelling helps soften and continue to split hairs. After a shave the brush is fully hydrated. You will not harm the hair. Once the brush is where you like it back off on the towelling. My Zenith Chubby Scrubby was done this way and is very badger soft with nice boar backbone. Boars take time and are always changing.

Attachments

• 4737CB7B-1981-4E9A-BC93-392C899763F2.jpeg
    4737CB7B-1981-4E9A-BC93-392C899763F2.jpeg
    796.6 KB · Views: 27
I found that after your initial breaking in. I do a medium towel workout on my boars right after a shave. The towelling helps soften and continue to split hairs. After a shave the brush is fully hydrated. You will not harm the hair. Once the brush is where you like it back off on the towelling. My Zenith Chubby Scrubby was done this way and is very badger soft with nice boar backbone. Boars take time and are always changing.
Thanks for your response. I have to agree on the boars always changing. I've had a Semogue 1305 for years. It's softer now than the average badger but I remember thinking it was taking forever to break in, then after a long time I noticed how much softer it was one day. I inspected it afterwards and saw more split bristles than before. That was maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Finally in the past couple of months the paint job has a split and a small chip but it's one of the best knots I have.

Killer photo!

After much reading, I have tried this method. Put the boar in the refrigerator in a mug of water for 24 hours. Then hand lather, give it a good towel dry workout, dry, then repeat as necessary. Of course, using the boar everyday shaving also works!!!
Thanks for your response. I don't use the same brush every day. I go to a different brush. I really enjoy having a different shaving experience so I have different kinds of brushes, razors, blades, soaps and creams, and pre/post shave products .

I hand lathered the first few lathers with my boars and I’m sure it helped with the smell. I figured life is quick, so I broke them in by using them. Success.
Thank you. I have broken them in just by using them too. I rotate my brushes day to day so it took a long time.

Top Bottom