What's new

Blutt Rasur BR-1 Polished / Matte

It looks like there isn’t. I agree there should be. I think often B&B doesn’t have enough review threads, though that is improving lately. I sometimes have to use other fora for finding razor reviews.

I probably wrote a review of my original Blutt somewhere, but not in a dedicated thread. I definitely remember debating the relative merits of the 0.99 and 1.20 plates somewhere.
What about asking a moderator to amend the thread title to polished/matte and continue this thread, since I guess the polished Blutt is an even rarer bird...?

You guys are awesome @luvmysuper and @Mr. Shavington
20231210_181130-01.jpeg

I received a parcel yesterday, BR-1 with .67 and .86 baseplates. I did the inauguration shave earlier today. BR-1 .67 vs. fives days worth of growth! And boy, did this razor deliver...

More to come soon...

As there hasn’t been a dedicated review thread for this exceptional razor, I’ve searched through my previous posts in other threads and gathered some of my previous comments about the Bluttrasur BR-1. Bear in mind that these comments are mostly a year old, cut and pasted from different discussions (so there may be some repetition or lack of continuity), and I would bring some newer razors into the conversation if I was asked for comparisons now. But I still feel the same about the BR-1 and it’s still one of my few best razors. I just received a 0.67mm base plate, by the way, so I will add my thoughts about it when I’ve used it. Until now I have favoured the 1.20mm plate, which was the highest gap.

The Blutt is definitely a minimalist design (blutt in Swiss-German dialect means bare or naked, without frills). But the fabrication of the razor is very refined indeed. You see it, for example, in the oblong blade posts and how beautifully precise the fit is for the holes in the base plate. The satin blast finish is also very lovely in-hand - it looks refined and feels nice. Of course not everyone is into the whole less-is-more thing, but it seems very Germanic to me. Positively Teutonic.

I have used plenty of other razors that are considered aggressive - like the Blackbird, Timeless 0.5 Slim, Mühle R41, Karve CB with F OC plate, and others. The Blutt with 1.20 plate is much more comfortable than these. It does have blade feel and a large gap, so you can still cause some irritation and weepers if you use pressure or go over the same areas too much, but with a light touch and not overdoing it I’d say the Blutt 1.20 is about the most gentle medium-high efficiency razor you can get. I also have the Blutt 0.99 plate and it was not more gentle feeling for me than the 1.20 plate, so between those two plates I would go for the 1.20 and have the same feeling with more efficiency.

I find it an excellent razor for me with the 1.20 plate - one of my top five razors. It gives me perfectly close shaves that last very nearly as long as my most ultra-efficient razors, but it feels smoother on my face than all of them. I also like the balance and build quality of the Blutt, and its simple, clean design. It is quite light and nimble for a steel razor too, with a very low profile head, and the handle grips well.

D2854463-05E9-4D3E-9FDB-A292863BC770.jpeg

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I’ve mentioned before, the Blutt BR-1 was the first razor that convinced me of the potential for DE razors. I thank @Mr. Shavington everytime I even look at it and especially after each use.

Since then, I’ve continued to receive excellent advice from @Mr. Shavington , @LRod , @Old Hippie and a handful of other experienced shave masters whose advice and knowledge about razors, both AC, DE and slants has been stellar.

An aside and a bit of a thread hijack, every brush I currently use was recommended by @Chan Eil Whiskers . I’m not on the bleeding edge of shaving gear experimentation but rather follow the leaders of the pack, so to speak.

As there hasn’t been a dedicated review thread for this exceptional razor, I’ve searched through my previous posts in other threads and gathered some of my previous comments about the Bluttrasur BR-1. Bear in mind that these comments are mostly a year old, cut and pasted from different discussions (so there may be some repetition or lack of continuity), and I would bring some newer razors into the conversation if I was asked for comparisons now. But I still feel the same about the BR-1 and it’s still one of my few best razors. I just received a 0.67mm base plate, by the way, so I will add my thoughts about it when I’ve used it. Until now I have favoured the 1.20mm plate, which was the highest gap.

The Blutt is definitely a minimalist design (blutt in Swiss-German dialect means bare or naked, without frills). But the fabrication of the razor is very refined indeed. You see it, for example, in the oblong blade posts and how beautifully precise the fit is for the holes in the base plate. The satin blast finish is also very lovely in-hand - it looks refined and feels nice. Of course not everyone is into the whole less-is-more thing, but it seems very Germanic to me. Positively Teutonic.

I have used plenty of other razors that are considered aggressive - like the Blackbird, Timeless 0.5 Slim, Mühle R41, Karve CB with F OC plate, and others. The Blutt with 1.20 plate is much more comfortable than these. It does have blade feel and a large gap, so you can still cause some irritation and weepers if you use pressure or go over the same areas too much, but with a light touch and not overdoing it I’d say the Blutt 1.20 is about the most gentle medium-high efficiency razor you can get. I also have the Blutt 0.99 plate and it was not more gentle feeling for me than the 1.20 plate, so between those two plates I would go for the 1.20 and have the same feeling with more efficiency.

I find it an excellent razor for me with the 1.20 plate - one of my top five razors. It gives me perfectly close shaves that last very nearly as long as my most ultra-efficient razors, but it feels smoother on my face than all of them. I also like the balance and build quality of the Blutt, and its simple, clean design. It is quite light and nimble for a steel razor too, with a very low profile head, and the handle grips well.

D2854463-05E9-4D3E-9FDB-A292863BC770.jpeg
I confirm, I have plates 99 and 1.20 and they are fantastic
the 99 plate remains efficient and delicate to use even on alternate days

As I’ve mentioned before, the Blutt BR-1 was the first razor that convinced me of the potential for DE razors. I thank @Mr. Shavington everytime I even look at it and especially after each use.

Since then, I’ve continued to receive excellent advice from @Mr. Shavington , @LRod , @Old Hippie and a handful of other experienced shave masters whose advice and knowledge about razors, both AC, DE and slants has been stellar.

An aside and a bit of a thread hijack, every brush I currently use was recommended by @Chan Eil Whiskers . I’m not on the bleeding edge of shaving gear experimentation but rather follow the leaders of the pack, so to speak.
Me, shavemaster? Hahahahaha!!
Thanks for the compliment Kim and I'm glad that my experiences has mostly matched yours. But I would attest that more to the fact that you and I have been at it for around the same amount of time.
That would make you a shavemaster too!!

So here's my initial impressions of today's inauguration shave with the Blutt BR-1.

To give you a better picture, let's start off with some statements on my preferences. It's a rather rare case for me having to tackle a five days growth. I'm more of a "every 24/36 hours" shaver, if you will. Overall, I tend to prefer sharper blades in my razors (PermaSharp, Nacet, yellow and black Gillette 7' O’Clock and Feathers, just to name a few of my favourites). With using milder blades I don't get the job done as effectively as I wish for, even if I chose an efficient razor. I basically tend to favour razors reputated to be efficient shavers. My neck skin is rather sensitive, so fewer strokes are helpful for me to avoid irritation. In general I don't mind an even higher dose of blade feel (up to a certain level of harshness ;)), but I don’t necessarily need a significant amount of blade feel as a prerequisite to enjoy my shaves. And, full disclosure, the farer I get in my shaving journey and with perfecting my technique even more the fewer I feel a need to pick one of those whisker wacking blade gap monsters.
Ok. 'nuff said. 😅

I was in the market to add a milder razor to my lineup when the chance came up to pull the trigger on this mint Blutt with the two milder plates (0.67 and 0.86). I didn't have to think twice.

20231210_164439-02.jpeg
When the Blutt arrived I decided to challenge the razor quite a bit (I thought so, at least) by using the mildest bladegap available, the 0.67 baseplate, to remove said significant amount of stubble.

Oddly enough, this baseplate doesn't get much attention in the shaving world, at least that's the case here at B&B. In fact, I haven't seen one detailed review of the 0.67mm on B&B, if memory serves me right...

I won't bother you with praising the craftsmanship of this beauty of a razor, it will just say it absolutely screams premium quality and really does offer a refined and classy shave.

So, without further ado, here's my impressions of the shave (#grain of salt ;) ) with the Blutt BR-1 .67mm.

20231210_161044-01.jpeg

First things first! I can tell you, I had a ridiculously smooth and effective shave with this razor. I loaded a fresh Feather blade, lathered up a gorgeous smelling Nordost lather, slick and hydrated just as I like it, and off we went...

First pass WTG... sweet Jesus, what a silky smooth combo... what a delight.
There's been hardly any blade feel, you just notice the blade cutting those whiskers with an ever so slight amount of blade feel, the .67 razor head gives just the amount of feedback necessary to know where the blade is and that blade is in fact doing the cutting. Pretty. In fact, I noticed myself starting to giggle out of sheer enjoyment (that happens rarely... whilst shaving 🤣).

Rinsed. Relathered.

Second pass. Same story, but this time whilst applying "against the grain" strokes. The razor head glided over the skin effortlessly and took down whiskers like nobody's business. I could have stopped here with a, yeah, easily a DFS+ result. But hey, isn't this hobby all about the fun...?

Rinsed. Relathered.😜

Third pass. I did some sort of a clean up pass. My stubble grows in swirly pattern all over my neck and the jaw line, so not every stroke I applied in the atg pass in these areas has been a "real atg stroke" but instead some sort of a xtg/atg mix. I guess, you get the picture.

So I did some more xtg/atg strokes and buffing on my crucial areas on the neck, the chin and the jawline... and a polished marble like BBS finish was easily achived.

No nicks, not even the standard weeper (aka the "Feather blemish") I often end up with when other razors are used. Not the case today. Just a tiny feedback from the AS, but any redness came up.

Besides, shaving under the nose is a mere joy with this beautiful tool thanks to the high maneuverability of the slim profiled head. I needed to focus a bit whilst shaving S-N under the nose in order to catch all the stubble nearby the outer areas of my upper lip (remember: there's been a lot of stubble today). Going S-N under the nose was the only time I noticed some blade feel, but it's not been intimidating, not at all.

The Blutt is not a loud razor, but you'll get enough audible feedbach in course of your final strokes if there's hair still being cutted - or not anymore. The razor appears to free of blade chatter, the blade clamping is top tier, imho.

One more thing to note is the shaving angle I applied. I found myself using a more steep than neutral shaving angle. That's definitely a steeper shaving angle as I had expected prior to the shave, factoring in the small gap and the (almost) neutral blade exposure.

I will have to report back tomorrow how long it took for my stubble to reappear. But I guess it's already fair to say now the .67 baseplate easily mastered the challenge of providing a super comfortable (!) yet close shave. The Feather blade appears to be an excellent partner in crime for the Blutt BR-1 .67mm razor.

Obviously, this 0.67mm baseplate isn't for you if blade feel is essential for your shave. But if shaving comfort is your thing... just saying 😉

My initial verdict, summarized in just two words: shaving excellence!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I also bought the 0.86 base plate when I got the 1.20. For me, I think it gives me the kind of shaves others get with their Overlanders..... It's not mindless, but it sure is easy to use. I like it enough that I ordered another top cap so I'd have two complete BR-1s.

Oddly enough, I posted the full 0.86 with the OEM handle here on BST... no bites.. not even a nibble. In the end, I was relieved and I still feel that way now.

I will have to report back tomorrow how long it took for my stubble to reappear. But I guess it's already fair to say now the .67 baseplate easily mastered the challenge of providing a super comfortable (!) yet close shave. The Feather blade appears to be an excellent partner in crime for the Blutt BR-1 .67mm razor.

14 hours after having completed the shave (when I got up this morning) there was just a slight stubble noticeable. So I guess the BBS shave result lastet about 12 hours (give or take). This result is absolutely satisfying my needs (# daily driver).

I'm going to test this baseplate with milder blades soon (milder than Feather, at least)...

Cheers!

20231212_103452.jpeg

Second outing of the 0.67 baseplate. It's really a pleasure to shave with this razor...

For today's shave less stubble had to be shaved (36 hours worth of growth), thus I decided to give a fresh PermaSharp blade a run for it's money. And overall, it's been an another successful attempt with the Blutt BR-1 0.67 setup.

Two passes (plus extended touchup strokes to clean the remainder of my remaining stubble) made for an effortless and predictable almost BBS result. The results weren't as close as the results I had in my debut shave with the Feather blade (that's not a surprise for me), but today's result was more than "just ok". If you will, the marble didn't feel that polished this time. But we are still talking about marble :)
The nimble strokes wtg/atg felt buttery smooth, though I noticed a tad more blade feel atg this time (but really just a tiny, tiny bit more than with the keener Feather blade).
I didn't catch any weepers or redness. Pair that with an almost BBS result - that's the sort of result which I'm absolutely looking for in a daily driver... and that is what I'd call the preferred use case for this 0.67mm setup. Gentle to the skin, low in blade feel and efficient enough for daily shaving. 👍

20231213_195458.jpeg
Third shave with the 0.67mm baseplate attached. One day worth of growth. I decided to load the Feather blade, which I already had used for the debut shave.

This shave was all about comfort. The Feather blade (2) performed admirably well, silky gliding and effective beard reduction was achived. Results? Polished marble, once my standard routine passes (wtg/atg/clean up) had been completed.

The results lastet approx. 10.5 hours, which is sufficient for my usecase but not spectacular. The level of comfort, however, was spectacular. A delight.

20231214_135955.jpeg
Just a few more thoughts.

Today's shave was, once again, very, very comfortable. I used a BIC Chrome Platinum (1). The BIC blade is somewhere between the PermaSharp and Feather blades in terms of sharpness, so it was no surprise that shaving with the BIC blade felt like it was close to the shaves I had with the other two blades (a bit more blade feel than with Feather blade, but abit less efficient; a bit less blade feel than with the PermaSharp but more or less as efficient).My day-old beard growth, however, disappeared with ease, the shave caused no blemishes. Almost BBS as I missed a stubble spot on one side of my chin. So the cotton ball test would have been failed today. The good thing is that I rarely rub a cotton ball over my face 😜.

When I read reviews of other razors, I often ask the reviewer if there are any other razors that are comparable to the razor tested in terms of efficiency and blade feel. In regards to the Blutt with this 0.67 baseplate, a Karve CB with SB B baseplate comes to mind (although I have not used these razors side by side).

Going forward, my blade of choice with this 0.67mm baseplate will definitely be the Feather blade, but any blade that offers a PermaSharp level of sharpness (or keener) will give me a delightful shave of my face.

Cheers!

Top Bottom