What's new

Blow Your Mind Chicken Wings

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey Connie, I saw your cook-out over at the "you're Banned." I must say, I am totally proud of you. Those look awesome!!! You even put on the sesame seeds. Sorry the MIC wouldn't approve. That's ok, you don't have to tell him. Yeah, those pepper flakes can sneak up on you. I have a batch ready to go for Sunday...I can't wait.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's mine:

$IMG_0281.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I tried this last night and it tasted delicious!
The only problem I ran into was that in my hands the sauce was too thick to pour or baste with. So I added some water. But then once the wings cooked out I had a lot of liquid in the dish, and the wings didn't get as crispy as I imagine they were supposed to.

Any suggestions on where I went wrong? Did I let the sauce thicken too long? In any case, I think next time I'll transfer the wings to a baking sheet for the broiling step.

I cooked this recipe this weekend and had quite a bit of liquid run out of the chicken before I added the glaze. I think what we could do here is spoon off some of the liquid from the baked chicken run off and discard. Then add the glaze. It seems the run off liquid dilutes the glaze somewhat and makes it harder to thicken, and later interferes with the crust formation. Still turned out great but it may take some tweaking.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I cooked this recipe this weekend and had quite a bit of liquid run out of the chicken before I added the glaze. I think what we could do here is spoon off some of the liquid from the baked chicken run off and discard. Then add the glaze. It seems the run off liquid dilutes the glaze somewhat and makes it harder to thicken, and later interferes with the crust formation. Still turned out great but it may take some tweaking.

Hmmm...interesting quandary.

You might try what I do with my Jamaican Jerk chicken wings.

1. Soak wings in your chosen marinade overnight (I love my jerk sauce recipe :001_wub:)
  2. Start the charcoal grill with lump charcoal
  3. Add apple wood or the wood of your choice
  4. Take wings out of marinade and place on grill, basting with some of the remaining marinade
  5. Turn wings as required, and baste again...and again as needed
  6. Cook until done

Either that or put the wings on a rack in the baking dish to cook it in an indoor oven.

Just a thought.

I live in Western New York near Buffalo so this is wing Country.

Best I have ever had are Anchor Bar wings or Whiskey Hill garbage wings.

Nothing comes close.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

1. Soak wings in your chosen marinade overnight (I love my jerk sauce recipe :001_wub:)
  4. Take wings out of marinade and place on grill, basting with some of the remaining marinade
  6. Cook until done

Either that or put the wings on a rack in the baking dish to cook it in an indoor oven.

Just a thought.

A rack might work pretty good. When I baked mine, I lined my baking sheet with foil. I actually transferred the wings to a plate after I finished baking them and replaced the foil before I put on the last of the glaze and broiled them. I did it to keep from smoking up the kitchen while I broiled them, but that did help keep the glaze on the wings. It also made clean-up pretty easy.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

6. Cook until done

Just a thought.

Hey Simon, thanks for chiming in. I am the OP on this and just trying to make a few tweaks for indoor oven cooking. The Jamaican Jerk sounds wonderful. I have a place here in Austin that has those marinades and will use them in the future. Grilling to me is preferable, but on a regular day the oven recipe I posted is top notch.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
A rack might work pretty good. When I baked mine, I lined my baking sheet with foil. I actually transferred the wings to a plate after I finished baking them and replaced the foil before I put on the last of the glaze and broiled them. I did it to keep from smoking up the kitchen while I broiled them, but that did help keep the glaze on the wings. It also made clean-up pretty easy.
Hey Connie, so you baked yours on a cookie sheet instead of a casserole dish?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I used my large sheet pan that looks like this one.

proxy.php

Gotcha. After baking the chicken for the first 20 min. Did the chicken release a lot of liquid?

Also, check out my Texas Asian Tacos post. Tell me if need to make changes.

Last edited:

Intrigued

Gotcha. After baking the chicken for the first 20 min. Did the chicken release a lot of liquid?

Also, check out my Texas Asian Tacos post. Tell me if need to make changes.

It sure did!

I think it's because a lot of the chicken you can buy now has water and salt added. What I did was bake them 20 min. baste them with glaze turn them and baste again. Then I bake them for another 20 min. When I pulled them out there was still so much glaze and drippings on the foil, that I poured some off in a dish to use for backup basting besides the glaze I had reserved earlier.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
It sure did!

I think it's because a lot of the chicken you can buy now has water and salt added. What I did was bake them 20 min. baste them with glaze turn them and baste again. Then I bake them for another 20 min. When I pulled them out there was still so much glaze and drippings on the foil, that I poured some off in a dish to use for backup basting besides the glaze I had reserved earlier.

got it.

Connie:

knowing your knife and cutting board arsenal like I do, i'm interested in a pic of what you used for the recipe?

Also, those wings look great :thumbup:

Intrigued

Connie:

knowing your knife and cutting board arsenal like I do, i'm interested in a pic of what you used for the recipe?

Also, those wings look great :thumbup:

I followed just Aaron's recipe except for cutting back on the chili flakes. Try it, you'll like it!

I do think that next time I make them, I'll change the foil after I bake the wings for the first 20 min. and before I start putting any of the glaze on them.

I followed just Aaron's recipe except for cutting back on the chili flakes. Try it, you'll like it!

I do think that next time I make them, I'll change the foil after I bake the wings for the first 20 min. and before I start putting any of the glaze on them.

I'm sorry Connie, I meant that I wanted to see a pic of the knife and cutting board. :thumbup: I didn't type it out very well. :)

I did mine on the same type of rimmed baking sheet. It's the same thing I use to roast any veggies in the oven.

Top Bottom