What's new

Blow Your Mind Chicken Wings

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I wonder ... could you grill the wings first (for that 20 minutes or so) before basting, and then put them in an aluminum pan on the grill? Then you could finish them on the grates instead of with the broiler?

The GFs brother is doing her brakes on Saturday and he asked us to bring chicken wings and I'm thinking I'd like to give this a shot, but on the grill and not the oven.

That's what I was thinking as a change-up to the oven. Maybe try and marinate the wings in your sauce for about 30 to 60 minutes before putting on the grill. Use your pan or try placing them directly on the grill but off the direct heat to let them cook properly without burning, then after they are cooked through put them on the direct heat and start basting and turning to get that caramelized deep brown char, crunchy, gooey, sweet, hot and spicy...AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Sorry...Report back on that. I would love to see how they turn out. I think they will be stellar.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly ... figure I'd put them on the top rack of the gas grill for a bit (or in a pan on the bottom grates, but cooking indirectly), so that they cook first, then dropping them down on the direct grates, but likely med to low heat, then toward the end crank up the heat a bit more to get that crunch/carmelized thing going on.

Hmm ... gonna noodle on this a bit :D

These wings are fantastic! My wife and I did them a little different than the instructions though. We don't like soggy wings, at all. We won't eat them. So I grilled them for 20 minutes or so, then put them in a pan and cooked them in the sauce on the grill for about 20 minutes, then out of the pan and back on the grill to caramelize the sauce. They were so good! We usually have a few leftover wings for me to eat the next day, but tonight between my son, wife and I, we were almost fighting over the last one. We will definitely be doing these again. Thanks for the recipe!
$uploadfromtaptalk1403138068411.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
These wings are fantastic! My wife and I did them a little different than the instructions though. We don't like soggy wings, at all. We won't eat them. So I grilled them for 20 minutes or so, then put them in a pan and cooked them in the sauce on the grill for about 20 minutes, then out of the pan and back on the grill to caramelize the sauce. They were so good! We usually have a few leftover wings for me to eat the next day, but tonight between my son, wife and I, we were almost fighting over the last one. We will definitely be doing these again. Thanks for the recipe!
View attachment 462828

We are the same way. We don't like a soggy wings. The broiler or in your case the grill is perfect. The honey in the sauce is what Caramelizes to a crust. Bravo. We like crunchy to almost a very dark brown or blackened crust.

My thoughts exactly ... figure I'd put them on the top rack of the gas grill for a bit (or in a pan on the bottom grates, but cooking indirectly), so that they cook first, then dropping them down on the direct grates, but likely med to low heat, then toward the end crank up the heat a bit more to get that crunch/carmelized thing going on.

Hmm ... gonna noodle on this a bit :D

Did a somewhat bastardized version of this ... similar flavor profile, different methods.

Skipped making the slurry and heating the sauce, and instead marinated in a mix of veggie oil, soy, honey, siracha, garlic and ginger powder. Was at the GF's brother's house, using his grill, which is half the size of mine so things were crowded, difficult heat control, etc. So I turned the heat all the way down til the burners almost went out (should note, he made burgers right before, so the grill was hot). Cooked the wings as slowly as I could, and basted now and then. Toward the end, turned up the heat a little and carmelized the skin a bit.

The flavor was very good, though everyone said they could be a little bit hotter (more siracha).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I love sriracha a lot and a great idea adding this to the dish. When I first made this dish I used the recipe amount of chili flakes and it was hot. Since then I backed it off a little.

Glad you liked them.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Took another stab at this recipe today, and the wings turned out fantastic! I'm not sure what I did differently; maybe I just screwed up the entities last time.

Thanks for this recipe, I'll be making these again in no time!

$uploadfromtaptalk1403751482618.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Absolutely! I got a little bit of a burnt flavor - nothing that detracted from my enjoyment, but I'll watch the broiling a bit more closely next time.

Pro tip: I forgot to buy sesame seeds, so I scraped some off a bagel :thumbup:

Yeah, the broiling can sneak up on you real fast. I basically stand by watching through the glass. As for the sesame seeds...brilliant.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I tried the recipe tonight and they came out great! I was a little afraid that with all the baking and broiling they might get a little dried out, but that was not the case. They were moist, tender, delightfully gooey, and finger licking good. I did cut the amount of red pepper flakes in half and they still had plenty of heat, i.e. enough to make my nose run. :blushing: :thumbup1:

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Aaron.

$Chicken Wing Dinner.jpg

Top Bottom