What's new

Blow Your Mind Chicken Wings

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok, bring on the recipes. Are the Anchor Bar's wings any more complicated than using Frank's hot sauce and butter?

Ok, bring on the recipes. Are the Anchor Bar's wings any more complicated than using Frank's hot sauce and butter?

I would have to say yes to that. Since Buffalo is the wing capital, there are many places that offer wings and few stand out above the rest. They sell the sauces online on their website. I always go for the Suicidal Sauce (and pay dearly later). :)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I wonder if "blow my mind" needs to be hot?

I really enjoyed some wings I made with some 5 spice powder. Soy/ginger/garlic sauce.

I just made some amazing chicken wings. Got the recipe from the current season of America's Test Kitchen. Now that Chris K is gone, Julia and Bridget are more international and turning up the spice. (Kimball was the biggest wimp on the planet when it came to spicy.)

So they made Korean Fried chicken wings in a recent episode. I made them last night.
Oh. My. God. They're like chicken wing crack. And even more awesome -- the double-frying method with the very light batter keeps the wings crispy. And by crispy, I mean shatteringly crispy skin. Even after an hour in the sauce, they were still crispy. I'm going to try this method with my other wing sauces too.
proxy.php

Here's a link to the episode:
Korean Feast (it should stay visible fr free until the end of this season run.)

Here's the recipe if you just want to get to the good stuff:
(Link: Korean Fried Chicken Wings | America's Test Kitchen)

Korean Fried Chicken Wings
Ingredients
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced to paste
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 ¾ cups water
3 tablespoons sugar
2–3 tablespoons gochujang
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 quarts vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 pounds chicken wings, cut at joints, wingtips discarded

Instructions

NOTE FROM THE TEST KITCHEN If you can’t find gochujang, substitute an equal amount of Sriracha sauce and add only 2 tablespoons of water to the sauce.

1. Combine sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in large bowl and microwave until mixture is bubbly and garlic and ginger are fragrant but not browned, 40 to 60 seconds. Whisk in ¼ cup water, sugar, gochujang, and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat to 350 degrees. While oil heats, whisk flour, cornstarch, and remaining 1½ cups water in second large bowl until smooth. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
3. Place half of wings in batter and stir to coat. Using tongs, remove wings from batter one at a time, allowing any excess batter to drip back into bowl, and add to hot oil. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring occasionally to prevent wings from sticking, until coating is light golden and beginning to crisp, about 7 minutes. (Oil temperature will drop sharply after adding wings.) Transfer wings to prepared rack. Return oil to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining wings. Reduce heat to medium and let second batch of wings rest for 5 minutes.
4. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Carefully return all wings to oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown and very crispy, about 7 minutes. Return wings to rack and let stand for 2 minutes. Transfer wings to reserved sauce and toss until coated. Return wings to rack and let stand for 2 minutes to allow coating to set. Transfer to platter and serve.

Top Bottom