What's new

Blind edge test! Ugly razors, fine finishes.

Today: Silver King Vs Zaliel.

27/31 each on the strop

Didn't notice any oil on either, but I'm pretty convinced at this point that I picked out my two edges correctly, so I'm fairly confident these are both Global's edges.

Both of these were fantastic edges. Ultra-sharp, very comfortable. Great.

Silver King had some noise and almost felt like it was just a little tiny bit leaning towards a wire edge. Like the bevel was a touch too thin just behind the edge, you know what I mean? It didn't cause any problems or irritation, but it was noticeable, and gave the Zaliel the win, but otherwise, two very top tier edges. Sharp and zero discomfort. I would say maybe... just maybe the Silver king had a tiny edge in sharp... but the Zaliel's behavior during the shave gave it the win still... and sharpness was almost indistinguishable. Both of these belong in the finals ahead of... well all four so far. Right now I'd say these are the top two edges I've tested (of the 6 I've tried)... but rules is rules... so Zaliel to winners and Silver King to losers.

Neither felt like an edge I'd recognize... but based on refinement level I'd make a wild guess of either some kind of fine paste, very well done <micron synth finish or a really fine Jnat for both... maybe slurry on the Silver King, water on the Zaliel?

Comfort was really nice on these. I've had a bit of itch after my shaves for the past 3 or 4 days (blame the worn edges I got returned and my being used to fresh honed edges)... none of that after todays. My face feels soft and happy.

Tomorrow I'll put the best loser (Silver King) vs the remaining unknown (Boker King Cutter).

Last edited:
So the remoil layer i add are typically very light and none of the razors i own appear oily, even though i know they are applied. Dont know if thats a feature or hazard.

i have 4 straights in my notes, i know i refinished a 5th as a finisher only, but sadly i cant recall which it was or what i finished it with. It wasnt the GD that you asked to leave alone, so that leaves 3 maybe the under the scope that you can tell.

Cool. Once I get the rankings up you can post the four you know and I'll scope the other three and see if I can figure what the fifth might be.

Today was Boker King Cutter Vs Silver King. Which King will reign supreme?

30/30 today.

It was the Silver King. Silver King wins.

Boker was ok for the first pass, but a bit scratchy... second pass it revealed it was just a bit too rough. I could have had a third pass off it and not suffered, but Silver King was already the miles and miles ahead winner at that point so I finished the entire third pass with Silver King. Boker felt coarse... like an 8k Norton or 6k JIS finish... something in that range. Maybe a mystery slate? Hard to judge... but I'd say a bit under shave ready in my book. Maybe my finish that took a Beeeeating?

First two spots are clearly set already:

Zaliel is #1
Silver King is #2

GD 200 and Raven will shave off tomorrow for #3 and #4

OP and SureEdge will Shave off Mon for #5 and #6

Boker is #7

Last edited:
Ok, so I think Global will be revealing shortly. So I took Scope shots. This Zemoil is hardy stuff... It stuck around after multiple strops and shaves on these things. The GD200 I am 100% positive is not my edge... so I can only guess I must have wiped it extra well.

The Boker:
Boker.jpg

The SureEdge:
SureEdge.jpg

The GA/Georgia/OP Cutlery Co: (Definitely had some deformation on the edge)
Georgia.jpg

The Raven:
Raven.jpg

The Gold Dollar 200: (Oh yeah there was some tape (or hanging abrasive strop maybe) going on here).
GD200.jpg

The Silver King:

SilverKing.jpg

The Zaliel:
Zaliel.jpg

Last edited:
all these edges were water only. I felt like i needed to break some out i dont use much now. Without shave testing some of these after a while, its hard to know the sweet spot on feel alone for me.

The boker edge is unsurprising to me, ive gotten great edges from it sometimes and not so great at others . Its a Zulu Grey. I think its just really really slow and i may not have gotten it to the good place unfortunately on water alone.

Zaliel is the most interesting for me right now. A semi random Biggs jasper thats about the size of a playing card deck. Semi random in that i picked it out online from all the others by size 🤣. It took a while to lap, likely because the 80 w/d’s probably died and it took me a while to notice.

Silverking came off a repolished Spyderco UF. Not a bad outing.

the suredge was a nakayama kiita w/nashiji.

Iirc only repolished the raven, on some sort of ohwyee jasper or new-ish ark. I really cant remember. I should have written it down.

That boker looks wild!! I wonder if the edge just can’t hold up to the angle. Iirc, i didnt love the boker either when i used it.

Wow, that edge blew away anything I've done on a UF... I've bought them 3x because I'm convinced it's got potential but never gotten anything great off them... so I always resold them shortly after. Do you remember how you polished it?

I'll also have to look into that Jasper. Another stone I've tried a few times and not gotten great results off. Was it sold as a hone, or just a piece of rockhound Jasper you polished?

What's the Gold Dollar? No way is that my edge... if it is one of your strops is charged and you don't know.

And yeah, Boker and SureEdge will probably find their way to eBay. I want to like that Boker... German brand, Made in Japan... I should like it. But Never impressed me. Same with the Sureedge, Not a bad razor but just never felt that good to me.

Last edited:
Wow, that edge blew away anything I've done on a UF... I've bought them 3x because I'm convinced it's got potential but never gotten anything great off them... so I always resold them shortly after. Do you remember how you polished it?

I'll also have to look into that Jasper. Another stone I've tried a few times and not gotten great results off. Was it sold as a hone, or just a piece of rockhound Jasper you polished?

What's the Gold Dollar? No way is that my edge... if it is one of your strops is charged and you don't know.

And yeah, Boker and SureEdge will probably find their way to eBay. I want to like that Boker... German brand, Made in Japan... I should like it. But Never impressed me. Same with the Sureedge, Not a bad razor but just never felt that good to me.
I use a piece of Jasper sometimes . I bought it as a hone from Gabe at wild whetstones. It can give a superb edge, but it took some effort to get it there. Polished it and honed a half dozen kitchen knives before I was happy with the result. I don't care for slurry on it.

That Jasper's a heck of a looker... Got an Eye of Sauron thing going on.

I will resist the temptation to pick up another UF I think. Great edge, but I don't want to struggle with trying to get mine nice and broken in only to add another hone to my arsenal. Good to know they're capable of such a nice shave, however.

Hmm. Maybe its the gold dollar i used the jasper on to refinish.

ive often wondered how my linen strop is working. None of my strops are intentionally charged. I dont use pastes and have only one razor with a u .1 finish.

Cool beans, You have other stones planned? I'd like to get another UF in there somewhere, confirm it can do what it did to the silver king consistently. And Maybe give the ZG another chance... then 3 dealers choice?

I could see an ultra-hard stone like a jasper refinishing on water to maybe cut in a secondary bevel like that just from flex under just the right circumstances. Very odd result... but yeah that razor was an ark finish if memory serves, and no chance that's an ark finish now.

I actually have the original edge shot still... woo. Damn my lighting and camera upgrades are nice...

Unfortunately I don't have the original shot from the raven for a comparison... but I can throw the same edge back on it to see what it'd look like.

Gold Dollar 200 edge on SB Ark:
SBArk.JPG

Possibly retouched on Jasper?:
GD200.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe its the gold dollar i used the jasper on to refinish.

ive often wondered how my linen strop is working. None of my strops are intentionally charged. I dont use pastes and have only one razor with a u .1 finish.

tbh, i could have done some crazy finish and just totally forgot. I wont say what it is for fear of a run of that stone 😜.

Cool beans, You have other stones planned? I'd like to get another UF in there somewhere, confirm it can do what it did to the silver king consistently. And Maybe give the ZG another chance... then 3 dealers choice?

I could see an ultra-hard stone like a jasper refinishing on water to maybe cut in a secondary bevel like that just from flex under just the right circumstances. Very odd result... but yeah that razor was an ark finish if memory serves, and no chance that's an ark finish now.

I might have a shot of the edge before I sent it, let me check.

ha, to tell you the truth, I dont have enough of these beaters to test out these stones so i am having fun. Especially the new to me stones AND the stones that have been in my collection for a while but dont get enough love. and i always wanted a blind test of same finish but different bevel setter. Some many hones, so little time!!

You've got a convex stone? Maybe. I've not tried a convex stone on a finished razor to see if it produces a secondary bevel... but it definitely could I would think.

Anyone out there with a good scope and a convexed hone able to chime in? A razor finished on a flat finisher, then touched up on a convex one... secondary bevel or no?

Also, rehoned the Raven to the original finish I put on it (Kamisori Vintage Jnat on water), here's its comparison:

Obviously there's some element of guessing here, but I think the Raven wasn't touched up, the GD must have been.

KamiWet.jpg

Raven.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom