What's new

Blind edge test! Ugly razors, fine finishes.

You've got a convex stone? Maybe. I've not tried a convex stone on a finished razor to see if it produces a secondary bevel... but it definitely could I would think.

Anyone out there with a good scope and a convexed hone able to chime in? A razor finished on a flat finisher, then touched up on a convex one... secondary bevel or no?

i have a bunch of convex hones now. I definitely know it will do it at the 1-4k level, but havent looked for that at a polish level.

i’ll take a look this weekend.

Daily shavers vary... I've got 75 or 100 razors. Not counting the GDs I haven't ground down yet, highest angle is likely around 17 and average almost certainly under 15.5.

And I probably rotate in and out 10 to 20 a year.

So I ordered a nice big jasper that looks like the surface is uninterrupted/clean and maybe has a bit of tooth to it... looks more like a hone than the ones I've tried in the past did (they looked like gemstones or crystals)... ~8" long.

Your edge convinced me to give them a try again. What's your typical progression leading up the the Jasper? I seem to remember I felt they were too slow to go to after 8k mesh (3micron) and as such considered them not worth my time.

jasper.jpg

I do everything off the 10k chosera.

where did you find that beauty? How thick is it? I only went after 2 US jasper locales i’ve seen mentioned.

Etsy... there's a metric ton of beautiful Jaspers on it from all over the world. Apparently rockhunters sell to jewelry makers on etsy a lot. I sorted by price and sifted through ~ 75 pages before finding this one, but there were some very similar-looking ones in the ~4-5"x2-3" size for only $10-15 I strongly considered. This was only $25 shipped. It was listed as an "Oregon" Picture Scenic Jasper, but it looks like a lot of "cripple creek" jaspers I was looking at to my eyes, so that's my guess.

Thickness is pretty consistent ~7mm from the pictures. Seller called it ~1/4" thick.

I searched for jasper slab... but I'm not too experienced with etsys search tool... there's probably a way to eliminate the cut/jewelry pieces that I was still getting in my search to make it much more efficient.

The only downside is a lot of sellers don't list dimensions in the listing and use a zoomed in surface pic for their first pic, so you have to open a LOT of listings only to find out they're like 1x2". But if you're looking for pretty jaspers, it's worth it... there were some absolute stunners (almost bought a "calligraphy" with a big crystal clear leaf fossil in it).

I'd definitely look at this seller if I were you... about 50% of the stones I was considering but didn't buy were from him, and his listings all say he's negotiable on price... but there are a LOT of good sellers for these things from the looks of it.

Here's the calligraphy... not as well shaped/sized for honing, but very cool looking... I just love that one big broad leaf on the face mixed in with the rest:

Last edited:
Yeah, listings aren’t super conducive to size listing scrolling. I feel like it may be easier to contact one of the sellers and see if they’ll make a certain cut size.

i looked for biggs or ohywhee in thicker sizes and at least the 5” length.

I found a couple nice ones of each... the biggs did tend to have faults/surface gaps. The ohywhee I found some really nice ones, but a bit more costly/smaller than I was finding the Cripple Creeks in (Found a couple nice ohywhee for ~$25 for ~5x3")... There were some viable biggs as well, but definitely less that looked like suitable hones than with the ohywhee and cripple creeks.

Aww heck with it. I purchased a bunch more including some higgs, owyhee's and that calligraphy I was eyeing. Will be fun seeing how different each are. I also got a lot with 3 ~5" higgs that looked like good hones (but thin) for $50 plus shipping. And if they don't work out as hones, maybe I can convince the Mrs that they are decorations and put them on our coffee table.

So this is where you i started to see a kind of price convergence with the ancient ocean whetstone prices given the convenience of sourcing, the shipping, the cuts and the lapping. Though his current prices are a bit higher than they seem to have been in summer.

Top Bottom