What's new

Blade Life

I’ve got a simple question.
Is there a certain technique required while shaving to increase blade life.? Longevity I mean. Are less strokes with the razor needed to get more shaves out of a blade? I am very curious about this!! The most shaves I’ve ever done on a blade is 30...I would like to get more than that if possible ..
Please give me advice all of you shave masters!

Razorhead

I used to dry my blades carefully between shaves. Now I just give the razor with blade in it a little shake to get the water off. But yes, I’ll keep flipping them!

I say why bother when blades are so cheep in comparison . I use a blade till it starts to tug then swap it out be that for 1 shave or 10 shaves . blades will have a optimum time of use just like car tyres now ask yourself would you drive on a bald tyre with cracking sidewalls ? me I know I wouldn't .

I used to dry my blades carefully between shaves. Now I just give the razor with blade in it a little shake to get the water off. But yes, I’ll keep flipping them!
Flipping does put the other two bevels {DE eazor} into play so whilst it may not help the edge, it gets maximum use out of the coatings, asssuming you get more than a handful of shaves out of each blade. I find hard water builds up scum on the non working bevels so a daily pinch and draw through tissue, flip over and install in the razor, keeps the bevels clean.

I say why bother when blades are so cheep in comparison . I use a blade till it starts to tug then swap it out be that for 1 shave or 10 shaves . blades will have a optimum time of use just like car tyres now ask yourself would you drive on a bald tyre with cracking sidewalls ? me I know I wouldn't .
What you state I think is true.
But I’m just curious if there’s a certain technique used by some of the Excalibur members that gives them those incredibly large numbers of shaves on their blades. Like you I’ve been using blades until the tugging gets bad. I’d like to see if I can beat my old record....just for fun.

I’ve got a simple question.
Is there a certain technique required while shaving to increase blade life.? Longevity I mean. Are less strokes with the razor needed to get more shaves out of a blade? I am very curious about this!! The most shaves I’ve ever done on a blade is 30...I would like to get more than that if possible ..
Please give me advice all of you shave masters!

Razorhead
If you're getting 30 shaves from modern blades you've got nothing to complain about. Factors like beard coarseness, density, passes, and what's acceptable in the shaving experience ( amount of tugging etc.) make a difference but most men get only 3 to 5 out of a blade. The number you quoted is more in line with what's normal from vintage blades. So I'd say you're doing exceptional.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I only flip the blade occasionally, whenever I take the blade out to clean off accumulating soap scum. I get at least 10-14 shaves from most blades, and some go over 30 shaves. I'm happy with that. At 20 blades a year, I've got enough to last me for 25 years.

The most shaves I’ve ever done on a blade is 30...I would like to get more than that if possible ..

Thirty shaves on a blade is indeed commendable. When I've pushed a blade's longevity, that's been my limit...30 or so. Until recently. I picked a Schick Super Chrome for the One-Blade-in-February Challenge and I've ridden that blade for 48 shaves.

So I think blade choice is a factor. As is pre-shave preparation and lather quality. I also move my blades to more aggressive razors as they wear. I went from 30 to 48 shaves in a Gillette Fatboy, a Merkur Progress and a Merkur Futur.

I dont think that blade flipping actually works, thats just me though. IMO, the best thing you you can do to extend blade life is to keep the edge from corroding. Blades dont actually dull so much from wear and tear as they do from corrosion ruining the edge.
On all of my razors, I give them a quick soak in some alcohol to displace the water. The alcohol displaces the water and dries quickly, so theres no time for rust to form.
It used to be when I used Feathers that they were toast by the 3rd shave but by using alcohol I can easily get 5 or shaves out of them.

I'm not sure how often you shave. I shave anywhere from every other day to 4 days. I'd definitely say shaving with less growth will extend blade life.

Also, once I joined forums I learned that people "faux strop" cart blades (running it multiple times across an old denim jean patch or across your forearm, backwards of course). Since I still had old Mach 3's sitting around, I tried it and it works.

I've seen someone in a video very carefully remove a DE blade from the razor and "strop" it like that across their palm. I haven't tried it, as I'm happy with the 5 shaves I get from most DE blades.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I dont think that blade flipping actually works, thats just me though. IMO, the best thing you you can do to extend blade life is to keep the edge from corroding. Blades dont actually dull so much from wear and tear as they do from corrosion ruining the edge.
On all of my razors, I give them a quick soak in some alcohol to displace the water. The alcohol displaces the water and dries quickly, so theres no time for rust to form.
It used to be when I used Feathers that they were toast by the 3rd shave but by using alcohol I can easily get 5 or shaves out of them.

Flipping works for me, because I tend to favour one half of the edge. My grain growth is predominantly from my left each to my right ear below the jaw, and the ATG pass (which is where the cutting is toughest on my beard) uses one half of the edge significantly more than the other. Flipping the blade, brings the fresher half into play, so I might almost double the life of the blade.

Feathers are actually my longest lasting blade, and I got 34 shaves from one.

I don't think flipping makes any difference. I've shaved 238 times on one without flipping the blade.

I think these have the most to do with it...

* Light touch, good technique
* really wet, slippery lathers
* being able to switch to more aggressive razors when needed

Lightly-held theories...

* razors that clamp down on the blade close to the edge, from the top, AND the bottom.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I would expect the biggest factors are your hair type, and blade brand/coatings.

I have Rapira Plat Lux that I love on the first shave and everything after that is just terrible. I can then go to the opposite end of the spectrum with BIC chrome platinum just wont quit. I get easily a dozen and a half shaves. I typically toss them between 10 and 20 uses because I am a clutz and drop the blade and I don’t trust the edge to be sharp, otherwise I’m sure they can keep going.

Also note that guys with all kinds of beard densities and coarseness have taken blades to the century mark.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom