What's new

Blade life

Can anyone please comment on the average number of uses one can get from
1) a twin blade cartridge (Sensor or Atra)
2) a four blade cartridge (Quattro)
3) a good double edge blade

(all based on shaving once a day, 6 days a week)

I don't remember if my father suggested it or not, but for 30 years now
I always allow 6 shaves befor changing a cartridge, 3 shaves before changing
a double edge blade.

Thanks

Last edited:
I can't comment on the life of a cartridge, but I have found that some DE blades (such as Dorcos) are only good for three shaves, while others (Crystals and Red Personnas, from my experience) can be good for as many as six shaves.

A lot depends on the quality of the blade and the toughness of your beard, so as always, YMMV.

Mike

A sensor blade did last forever I thought, at least one month. Mainly due to shaving only once or twice a week. Now, only into DE, I use a blade for three to four shaves, That will make up to the same number of shaves or maybe a couple more in favour of the cartridge. But then with
a) a much more expensive/shave cost
b) a less satisfying result

I can't comment on the cartridges because I don't use them.
DE blades Derby/Feather/Vintage Gillette/Iridium/7 O'Clock Yellow give me between 6 and 10 daily shaves.

I'll usually get 3-4 shaves from a Sensor/Trac ii, and change DE blades after 4 shaves regardless. One of the considerations is how many passes one makes with a "shave." I usually do one WTG, one XTG, then touch up here and there. If someone is doing three full passes each shave, then that's actually four passes more than I would use, so the blade won't last as long. When you think about it, making twelve passes with a razor blade is quite a bit and I just don't see the edge remaining that sharp that long. You would never try to use a straight that much without touching up the blade or at least give it a good stropping after each shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I concur with your thoughts. I get a week out of a Sensor, and 3 days from a DE.

+1

I get something like that. When I was using a Mach3, I got 5 shaves (1 pass) out of them. Most DE blades give me 3 shaves (3 passes). Astra gives me 5 shaves (3 passes) on average.

When I used a Mach 3 or Fusion I got on average 5-6 shaves, with a DE I change the blade after 3 shaves (regardless of blade brand). DE blades are so cheap I don't see the point in trying to make them last.

Depends. With a red personna, 3 or 4 shaves. With a feather, 5 or 6. With a gillette swede, 6. With a gillette 7 O'Clock yellow, 5 really smooth shaves and 1 good shave. Also, it depends on if I shave in consecutive days, since I sometimes go a day without shaving, because I'm awesome like that.

My own experiences with the different shaving "systems" showed me that blade life is about the same for all of them. Adding more blades to a cartridge doesn't extend the life of it, rather there are more edges that get dull at the same time. And if only one out four of those blades gets dull then it still pulls.

I used to use those twin blade cartridges waaaay too long, because of the cost...I seem to remember getting about five shaves or so out of them. The Fusion seemed to last about as long. I started to look at DE shaving because of the cost.

The Double Edge blades vary for me, with some lasting about three shaves (Dorco) to about seven (Shark).

The best thing about the DE blades vs. the cartridges, besides the quality and satisfaction of a traditional wet shave, is that when I pitch them, instead of growling at the damnable expense as the cartridge hits the trash, I now smile at how little they cost as I put them in the blade bank my kids decorated for me.:thumbup1:

I get the same life out of a Mach 7 (or whatever they're up to now) and a DE blade...for me about a week or 6-7 shaves. And for 15 cents a blade, why try to push the DE any farther? They same can't be said for the 3 dollar multiblades. YMMV.

Sensor: 5-7

Fusion: 6-8 for me...my wife used the same cartridge that gave me those 6 shaves for two months afterwards until she seeked out replacements and she of course did her lady shaving with it so that's alot of hair...she tried one of my superspeeds once and cut herself barely so she will not try it again lol...

Astra: 4 (no more, no less)
feather: no more than 3
red personna: 3-5
merkur: 0 (they just were thrown away)
derby: 3-4

there's my $0.02.....

I get 5 consistent shaves from my best DE blades. Probably got 3-4 with a Sensor.

What Stubs said...not that I ever got good shaves from them anyway, but with carts if I got three adequate shaves per, I felt it was worth it. I seem to recall with Sensors, Sensor XLs, etc. I could often go four to five shaves before mutilation, but with later ones (Fusion, Quattro, etc.) three was about it, and four was masochism. With DE blades though, it really varies...I've gotten to the point where I'm a one blade kinda guy (Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge), and I CAN get 5-6 shaves no problem (and I've taken one as far as eight), but usually swap for a fresh one after 4. I just like the feeling of a one-or-two shave blade, but four is perfectly fine. I had shave #5 with today's, and it was actually better than #4, but I was drunk and heavy handed for that particular shave...:tongue_sm

I used to use those twin blade cartridges waaaay too long, because of the cost...I seem to remember getting about five shaves or so out of them. The Fusion seemed to last about as long. I started to look at DE shaving because of the cost.

The Double Edge blades vary for me, with some lasting about three shaves (Dorco) to about seven (Shark).

The best thing about the DE blades vs. the cartridges, besides the quality and satisfaction of a traditional wet shave, is that when I pitch them, instead of growling at the damnable expense as the cartridge hits the trash, I now smile at how little they cost as I put them in the blade bank my kids decorated for me.:thumbup1:

Yeah, I used the cartridges for a month because of the price...horrible shaves, needless to say.

I get about 5-6 shaves out of my DE blades and don't feel a pain in my wallet when I have to change them.

I also used to use my M3 cartridges way longer than I should have due to price - up to 2-3 weeks.

Now w a DE, I pitch them when I feel the slightest pulling - usually around 4-5 shaves for most blades.

I haven't used cartridge razors in 20 years, so no help there.

In DE I can go from 2 (Dorco) to 7 (7 o'clock yellow, Shark) days each. Sharks last longer than any other DE blade I have ever used.

Lately I have been straight shaving, so my shave/blade ratio is way up there, though my cost per blade has increased by an order of magnitude. I buy $15 str8 razors and rehab them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom