What's new

Blade life

I used to use the cartridges for upto 2 weeks, including Fusion. With DE, depends on the blade. I got a 6th very good shave out of a Feather blade today. I don't think I could stretch a Red Pack IP beyond 4.

When I was a cartridge shaver I forced myself to use the cartridge M-F and never shaved on the weekends. I hated shaving. The cartridge shaves got progressively worse after the 3rd or 4th shave.

As for DE blades, it can vary a great deal depending on many factors. Personally I've found that I can stretch just about any blade to 6-7 shaves, but it's only comfortable that long with some of the more expensive/sharper blades (generally speaking).

The big advantage is the cost. For what a single cartridge costs you can shave for a couple of months with good DE blades.

I seem to recall with Sensors, Sensor XLs, etc. I could often go four to five shaves before mutilation, but with later ones (Fusion, Quattro, etc.) three was about it, and four was masochism.
I think you raise a great point: with the cartridges it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN the mutilation will occur . . . . :eek::eek::eek: :lol:

I find that shave quality really drops off after the second shave w/ the same DE blade. I've not tried to push for four shaves w/ any. Derbys, Personnas, Gillettes, Dorco and Crystals are the blades I've tried. As usual, YMMV.

I usually get two shaves per blade, regardless of brand.

I don't know what the big fuss is all about regarding DE blade life.

Blades are cheap. Blades are easy to get. Blades are designed to be disposable.

I'm pretty sure that you mean "Monday through Friday", but given the context I am not totally sure...

Yes, that is what I meant. I forced myself through 5 shaves Monday through Friday and then pitched the cartridge. I hated shaving so much I skipped on weekends.

Yes, that is what I meant. I forced myself through 5 shaves Monday through Friday and then pitched the cartridge. I hated shaving so much I skipped on weekends.
Same here. I used to look forward to weekends because I could let my face heal up a bit. Nowadays I skip shaving perhaps once every 3 weeks and while I'm no prettier, my face is in better condition.

4-5 from a Personna Red, but I usually change them sooner since I have a ton and they're dirt cheap.

The last time I used a cartridge was in a mach3 and I'd get 3 shaves tops before it started pulling real bad.

Same here. I used to look forward to weekends because I could let my face heal up a bit. Nowadays I skip shaving perhaps once every 3 weeks and while I'm no prettier, my face is in better condition.

"That can't be William Wallace. I'm prettier than this man!" - Stephen from Braveheart.

Last edited:
I've been using IRP's and replacing them every 3 (3 pass) shaves. Honestly, I haven't waited to see if they can go longer. For $0.08 a pop, I don't care. I'd rather just know I'm going to have a good shave.

What are people here considering as one shave? Is one shave a shave with multiple passes or is it a shave with just one pass?

I've been DE shaving for about a month now. I was too cheap to use cartridges; used the $1 for 10 disposables and would use them for about 6 shaves then skip Sunday to give face a rest. My face was pretty much always burning - go figure :rolleyes: My Dad has always used an electric so I never learned the "right" way to shave. Would never have called any of those shaves as good and hated to shave.

With the DE I find I can go about 4 shaves ( 3 passes + buff) then it starts to pull a bit. I have stretched it to 6 shaves one week with 2 passes each shave. I won't stretch it like that again though because blades are just too inexpensive to need to do that. Currently using Dorco ST-300 blades out of my sampler. Will try Derby next.

I would imagine that the reason we read about so much YMMV is the thickness of beard, thickness and stiffness of hairs, etc. Prep probably has a fair amount to do with it too - the softer you can get your beard the less it will relatively speaking dull the blade with each shave. Almost too many variables to get a good comparison from person to person. I bet if we did a "describe what you mean by BBS" we would get a whole range of ideas about that too.

First decade used an electric, after that went for Mach3 power and very occasional disposables before going DE over a year ago. I never used a disposable more than once - they were always painful, bloody shaves, possibly because I would be in a pinch and buy the cheapest going ( a whole 2 pence a razor!).

With the Mach3 for a while I went with the "when the orange strip fades, change" which was about once a week, until I realised this may well just be a clever marketing trick. After that I would use a blade once every 2 weeks or so and to be honest I can't remember any massive fall off in the quality of the shaves. That is, they weren't that great to start with and required mashing them into my face.

With DEs I tend to change once every 3 days - I don't really want to wait to feel tugging. I think this is also an easy number to keep track of. I was on holiday last week and got 5 excellent shaves out of a Derby so I must be erring very much on the side of caution. But like the other gents here, given I get all of my blades with the exception of Feathers for less than 10 pence each, why risk hurting your face and possibly having a rotten day as a result for the sake of a couple of pennies.

Top Bottom