What's new

Blade getting stuck

I can't believe no one has suggested thi yet, but if ATG on your moustache area is the only problem, have you considered not shaving ATG on your moustache.

I've been straight shaving for about 3 months and I will not shave ATG on my moustache. I think for me my moustache has the most densely packed hair, and I also think it angles down steeper than any other part of my face. I can still get the area smooth with just WTG and XTG and streching (I usuall poke my tounge into my lip to get the skin tight).

If you're only on your 3rd shave I would wait until you get more comfortable with the whole process before trying ATG there, and I know several people never go ATG there and still get great shaves.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've just gone through this. The blade isn't sharp enough yet. I hone and hone and strop and strop and give it a try - same thing - hangs up. I quit and shave with a DE. Back to the hones, try again, If it hangs, I quit. I haven't read this anywhere but I get the feeling that a dull razor is a very dangerous thing.

Today, my razor passed the HHT and I got a complete shave. This is going to take a long time to become proficient. But, I think, worth the trip.

And, I second that statement about not going against or across the grain yet.

It's like moving into a new house and mowing a new lawn. It can take a couple of seasons to get the most efficient mowing patterns down.

Patience is bloodless.

There's a few parts of my face that, even with the Feather Artist razor and its sharpest blades (what I'd easily consider the world's sharpest), the razor still tugs aplenty on an against the grain pass. No blade condition or level of experience will eliminate it. Surely professional barbers encounter this with clients a time or two.

Therefore I must decide whether, for those areas, I want that additional closeness at the risk of post-shave discomfort and the certainty of mild during-the-shave discomfort that an ATG pass affords.

Try holding the end of the razor with your other hand. You can see a brief example of this in Chimensch's video at 8:05.

[youtube]XIM0Coix6Gg[/youtube]

It can also help to imagine moving your lip down the blade rather than the blade moving up. This gives you a lot of control. Because of this I find the top lip the easiest part of the shave. I get it BBS even if the blade is terribly blunt.

Top Bottom