What's new

Blade Buffing Instead of Just Passes

Off and on through my 40 plus years of shaving, I have foregone passes and just blade buffed (we never called it that before the Internet) my whole face in different directions. I recently started doing it again, and notice that my BBSs seem to last longer.

Try it and see

I usually have to blade buff certain portions of my cheeks to get them smooth.

Seanmckay

Same here. There are only a couple of small areas that require this but a traditional 3 pass just won't get it. I was blade buffing long before I knew someone had coined this phrase. :001_smile

Actually, in DE blade buffing you do lift the blade slightly off the skin when moving backwards; with cartridge razors you leave the cartridge on the skin.

I tend to get closer shaves when I use lots of shorter strokes rather than fewer long ones. That does cause me to go over the same area a little more though. It's not quite blade buffing, but not so far from it either.

I tend to get closer shaves when I use lots of shorter strokes rather than fewer long ones. That does cause me to go over the same area a little more though. It's not quite blade buffing, but not so far from it either.

This is pretty much the way I shave. It's interesting to see the old Gillette instructions showing the correct way is taking long diagonal strokes. I find that shorter and more rapid strokes cut my whiskers better than the slower way guys like mantic59 teach.

Thats where ya rub your blade back and forth on your face without lifting it off the skin

Tried it on day two of my Feather Blade shave. I never let the razor leave the skin and it worked remarkably well. It was a little disconcerting at first, but it smooted out a few trouble spots. I am not sure why you would raise the blade off the skin on the "back stroke".

I use a little buffing every now and then for troublesome spots, but if I am reading this right OP is saying that is his whole shave no passes..interesting I dont know if im willing to try that lol

I have to buff my chin to get it BBS. Freaked me out when I first started doing it, now it isn't so bad. I definitely have to focus when I do it with all the angles.

Can you blade buff with a 37c? I have one and I don't know if I want to try...
You can buff with virtually any DE. The idea here is that the blade is lifted off of the face on the return stroke. When using a cartridge razor this isn't necessary.

You can buff with virtually any DE. The idea here is that the blade is lifted off of the face on the return stroke. When using a cartridge razor this isn't necessary.

For most other DE's I've used, I did not really need to take the blade off my face to blade buff. I'm just saying, would the curvature of the actual blade in the 37c effect the blade buffing technique?

I use a little buffing every now and then for troublesome spots, but if I am reading this right OP is saying that is his whole shave no passes..interesting I dont know if im willing to try that lol

I find I need to wait until the 3rd pass just to have enough slickness to do it comfortably.

Top Bottom