What's new

Blade Biter's Tasting Notes

Manual?? I thought y'all had scrolls from which you proclaimed

Tell Me More To Do List GIF by Disney Channel

That's a shame, honestly. Gillette making good blades is statistically proven!

14/20 of what I consider "best" blades are Gillette/P&G related. Of the 6 non-Gillettes, only two are still produced!

Without Gillette, one can shave a lifetime of beard growth without ever tasting anything better than second tier.
Thanks for posting this, lasta. Bored silly on Friday, I called Gillette Marketing in the US to see if they would be willing to put out something similar to that spreadsheet for P&G blades. I asked them if they would be willing to put together an "official" spreadsheet with the following columns covering their global list of product families:
  • Product Family (e.g. "PermaSharp")
  • Geographic distribution (e.g. "America's")
  • Sharpness (e.g. 1-10 scale)
  • Smoothness (e.g. 1-10 scale)
  • Longevity (e.g. "Number of shaving minutes")
  • List Price
They seemed like they would consider it. Let's see what comes back...

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks for posting this, lasta. Bored silly on Friday, I called Gillette Marketing in the US to see if they would be willing to put out something similar to that spreadsheet for P&G blades. I asked them if they would be willing to put together an "official" spreadsheet with the following columns covering their global list of product families:
  • Product Family (e.g. "PermaSharp")
  • Geographic distribution (e.g. "America's")
  • Sharpness (e.g. 1-10 scale)
  • Smoothness (e.g. 1-10 scale)
  • Longevity (e.g. "Number of shaving minutes")
  • List Price
They seemed like they would consider it. Let's see what comes back...
If we had a training manual for neophytes, this would go down as the perfect case study on being proactive!

I suspect that Gillette makes a variety of blades, but some are likely repackaged for different markets.

But yes, it would be great to hear from the source directly!

lasta

Blade Biter
I tried to replicate choirmaster John's shave, complete with a Super Speed and the second rate GSB. The new breed of Silver Blues are still great blades, but just short of true Bluetata.
20240318_123950.jpg

A decent BBS cheek and DFS+ neck was achieved. Minimal sting.

I mixed up a small bottle of 60% alcohol + 10% glycerin aftershave scented with Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti. Ripe sweet citrus sprinkled with vanilla and even some flowers, complete opposite of my last batch. Scent strength was much better dialed in, only 3ml of the decadent juice. Enough for me to savour the lovely smell, but not enough for it to conflict with my actual scent of the day. Excellent stuff.

I noticed you still haven't entered my latest PIF, nephew Corey. Hmmm 👀

- Uncle Eric
I wanted you guys to torture Uncle Aaron a bit and give Uncle Eric a chance to frying the yellow professor a bit.

Apologies on my part, went on a business trip, left my shave kit at home, went on the trip without a razor.

I have sinned and brought some disposables, but what happens in Korea, stays in Korea right, you guys didn't see me write that!

As of this moment I'd have to say that, like the golf ball, the GSB is the "Titleist" of shaving. Not everyone uses them but the majority of people who do really like them. There seems to be something for everyone in the Gillette family.
NO HIT AND MISS HERE!

golfing-deadstream.gif

BADABOOM!

As of this moment I'd have to say that, like the golf ball, the GSB is the "Titleist" of shaving. Not everyone uses them but the majority of people who do really like them. There seems to be something for everyone in the Gillette family.
I passed on a few tucks of GSB and ASCO to a few of my friends that I got to start DE shaving. They all said the Silver Blues are the best. LOL. I was pretty sure they wouldn't think that about the ASCOs.

ASCO are Lords, and I think Lords are great.

They are in the middle tier for me generally. I think I prefer sharp feeling blades and I just don't get that from the Lord family with the possible exception of the Silver Star. I found the ASCO the worst of the bunch. Maybe I had a bad batch, but the blade I was using wasn't even able to remove my visible stubble. No problems when I switched blades in the same razor.

Of course I realize one man's trash is another's treasure. I'm pleased you have so many affordable and good performing options through the Lord blades. I do like Big Bens and Silver Stars and I have a positive opinion of the Shark Super Chrome.

Top Bottom