What's new

Bird Watcher

I have been at it for a few years, not with the dedication shown by some, and only around the Rocky Mountains. As an aside, reviews on birding sites led me to purchase a Barska monocular. Based on experience with Russian optics available ten or so years ago, I did not expect the Barska to be nearly as good as it is.

I'm not a formal bird watcher, but a bird fan.

We had pet crows when we were teenagers. Great pets. They lived in a converted dog coop with a fenced-in run. They were a lot like small dogs that could fly. They followed us around on foot. If they sensed we were going for a longer trek into the woods they would fly way high into the sky and circle until we stopped somewhere then swoop down and join us. Hold out an arm and they would land on it. They were very playful.

I had a parakeet as a youngster and a small parrot a few years back. I sold it but no need to go into the reasons here and now. He was a PITA.

We have a pair of red-tailed hawks in our back woods. The can swoop through the trees like those Star Wars flying "motorcycles" that whizzed through the Ewok woods.

Perhaps the most impressive bird I have seen up close was a Golden Eagle. I lived on a back road and would go out jogging most mornings. One day I saw some unidentified animal in the middle of the fog-covered road. I couldn't figure out what it was until I got a bit closer and the bird stood up straight -- it was bent over eating a rabbit, making it hard to identify. It flew off looking like a Pterodactyl flying off into the misty woods -- carrying its rabbit. I looked it up in a bird book -- that's how I learned it was a Golden Eagle. They have a seven foot wing span!

Many years here, a special interest in waterfowl. Today, my bride and I saw two mature Bald Eagles and a sharped shined hawk, a few others were not id'ed

Right where I used to live was was a public golf corse surrounded by a very large public park with a lake. People used to come there from all over NY and NJ to bird watch in that old neighborhood.

Really great to find other birdwatchers here. Since moving to Arkansas my birding experiences have great. The first summer here I was at a NWR in Oklahoma saw a flock of Woodstorks.
Eagles winter they are always a welcome sight.

Any birding experiences you have had please share.

Bird watcher, yes. And a rank amateur. My wife and I spend two weeks each October at the shore. A great time to watch. Few people and many birds. I am looking forward to our next vacation with mounting enthusiasm.

Another new guy to bird watching. A couple years ago I had an honors biology course that offered bird watching as an elective. I found it to be great fun, relaxing, and a nice way to get outdoors. Now I've a couple little pairs of cheapo binoculars and my Sibley's guide nearby on long hikes. It's nice to be able to ID the birds that pop by my yard for a drink of water.

Any recommended optics or books for folks new to the experience?

I'm a bird watcher.
Before I had to take down my bird feeder (due to racoons), four Rose Breasted Grosbeaks decided to hang out for a couple of days. That was nice.

Another new guy to bird watching. A couple years ago I had an honors biology course that offered bird watching as an elective. I found it to be great fun, relaxing, and a nice way to get outdoors. Now I've a couple little pairs of cheapo binoculars and my Sibley's guide nearby on long hikes. It's nice to be able to ID the birds that pop by my yard for a drink of water.

Any recommended optics or books for folks new to the experience?
I personally use National Geographic field guide. There is a new one out that is getting great reviews Crosley. Optics, go to Eagle Optics.com and they have great guide for buying binoculars. they carry a wide range of binoculars. I personally use a pair of Swarovski 10x42. A good pair of binoculars is a life time investment and will return many hours of enjoyable birding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom