What's new

Biggest POSITIVE surprise (product wise)… 🤔

I was pleasantly surprised by the Lord L5. It punches well above its weight in performance. It's perfectly balanced (for me, anyway) even though it's much lighter than the other razors I prefer to use. It gives a perfect BBS shave without being overly aggressive. It handles a number of blades very well. The only drawback is that the head is made of Zamak. But I've not experienced problems with Zamak on the L5 (nor other razors), even though others (including a friend to whom I gave a L5) have complained of the head on the L5 breaking off the post.

It has replaced my TAOS R89 clone as my travel razor (though when I will use it during travel is unknown at this point).
The L5 really is a gem for the money. It isn't the most beatiful razor but boy does it ever shave nicely.

I'd like to add the Fatip OC Piccolo. I just got a new one last week. I've had two shaves with it. I had been afraid it would be too aggressive and would cut me up. While it is definitely an efficient razor, it also clamps down well on the blade providing an extremely smooth shave. I'm regretting taking so long to try the Fatip!

So, as the flip side to my “biggest regret” thread, let’s make this one about your biggest surprise, POSITIVELY speaking. I’ll start it off -

After reading/seeing positive, GLOWING reviews of it, I decided to buy a WHOLE tub of Seaforth’s “Sea Spice Lime,” scent unsmelled (?).

I. was. blown. AWAY! 😳

It was LOVE at first smell, and it’s currently my FAVORITE soap (despite having about 20+ in my canon! 😍)

Heck, I love it so much, I don’t even rinse out the excess lather from the puck! Wouldn’t want all that GOODNESS to go to waste! 😉❤‍

How ‘bout you, gents? What product (soap/cream/razor/brush, etc) impressed you so much it just 🤯?

Thx for sharing! 😎💈
So, as the flip side to my “biggest regret” thread, let’s make this one about your biggest surprise, POSITIVELY speaking. I’ll start it off -

After reading/seeing positive, GLOWING reviews of it, I decided to buy a WHOLE tub of Seaforth’s “Sea Spice Lime,” scent unsmelled (?).

I. was. blown. AWAY! 😳

It was LOVE at first smell, and it’s currently my FAVORITE soap (despite having about 20+ in my canon! 😍)

Heck, I love it so much, I don’t even rinse out the excess lather from the puck! Wouldn’t want all that GOODNESS to go to waste! 😉❤‍

How ‘bout you, gents? What product (soap/cream/razor/brush, etc) impressed you so much it just 🤯?

Thx for sharing! 😎💈

I. was. blown. AWAY! 😳

Thx for sharing! 😎💈
Vidyut Super-Max Super Stainless DE blade!! I am relatively new to all this and still trying a lot of blades for the first time. It was in a sample pack. I never read about it on this forum so I passed it up for the Feathers, Astras and swords. Wow! So far it is my favorite.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It was the summer of 1986 when the time came to shave. Wait. Shave, what shave? It was more like removing the gentle appearance of a peach fuzz from my 13 year old face at the time 😂 😂 😂

And so I had gotten a razor that even back then was considered a piece belonging to some shaving museum. It was my grandpa's original Gillette Fatboy.

So, this was my very, very first razor and I'd been using it for several years before switching to Mach3 or whatever crap was popular back in the early '90s.

And almost 30 years have passed since... as mentioned, I thought my FatBoay was but long gone. But, as it turned out, it was tucked away at the bottom of a drawer, back at my mom's house all these years. Imagine my surprise! 😱 😱 😱

I've got it yesterday, cleaned it, polished it, oiled it and had a shave this morning, loaded with a fresh Feather blade.

Now THAT was the real surprise. OMFG! 😲 😲 😲

There are no words to describe the level of comfort and smoothness of this thing. A BBS? I don't know what to call it. Seriously! It was a BBS from another planet. It was a Jedi Master Lightsaber BBS.

I am retiring my Vector for an unforeseeable future. It was THAT great, this 60 years old "thing".

View attachment 1294086

View attachment 1294087

What a great post.

Lucky you to have such a family heirloom. Congratulations to your grandfather for his purchase and for taking care of the razor. Congratulations to you for appreciating it.

Lovely razor!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Biggest surprises by category

Razor: Yates 921-EH, I bought this used on a whim assuming it would be a bit too much for my face and I would flip it, but WOW! I haven't looked back since I bought it, I probably use it around 60 percent of the time. 60 percent is a big number also, I love switching things up.

Blade: Voskhod, these came in a sampler pack when I started the hobby. I hated them in milder razors, in fact I only ever used two of the original five blade pack. I started using more and more aggressive razors (Yates EH, Blackbird) and thought to try them again on a whim. Once again, fantastic, good longevity and very comfortable. Also at 7 cents a blade they may even save me money in this hobby by the time I die.

Brush: Semogue OC, I was very into badger brushes when I tried this. At the time I doubted a boar brush could give me anything a badger brush couldn't. I was very impressed and I have a number of other boar brushes that keep it company.

Soap: PAA Ck6, expensive and my first luxury soap. It blew me away the first time I rinsed the lather off my face. Very very good stuff.

Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum, I doubted that a mix of cheap Bay Rums would be pleasant on my skin. It smells great, it works great, and it feels great with a touch of menthol added. I'm excited I have enough to make about ten more bottles of it.

Long winded post but these are my most surprising products that really impressed me, at least from my point of view. Sure there are some high quality products up there, but I still didn't expect they were for me. That being said, I love trying new things and I'm glad I gave these products a chance.

Top Bottom