What's new

Big fellows last year of production

I just scored a big fellow. They started manufacturing the big fellow in 1919. When was the last year of production?

Do you keep the razor as is or do you dare clean it and polish it?? Does cleaning destroy the value??

I just scored a big fellow. They started manufacturing the big fellow in 1919. When was the last year of production?

Do you keep the razor as is or do you dare clean it and polish it?? Does cleaning destroy the value??
They are really nice to shave with. I would clean it up and shave with it.

If you get a chance would you be able to post a photo?

Cheers,

Adam

nice find! The Big Fellow has a long way. It gives him as Old Type, New Improved and as NEW. My latest is a Big Boy from 1930.

Very nice collection Achim. Do the wood boxed models predate the velvet lined boxed models?

Very nice collection Achim. Do the wood boxed models predate the velvet lined boxed models?

Yes. From upper left to down right:

Big Fellow New Improved wood box 1921
Big Fellow Old Type wood box 1920
Big Fellow New Improved chrome box 1928
Big Fellow or NEW Big Boy DeLuxe gold box 1930

Here's a picture of a what I believe to be a NEW Big Boy I got a few weeks ago. It should shave as well or better than a regular NEW. I'll have to put it in the lineup. :001_smile

proxy.php

Thanks Achim and Rodd!

I have a question about your Big Fellow's/Big Boy's. Do any of yours have splits in the handle? Mine has a tiny one towards the top of the handle and I'm wondering if this is common on these heavy razors?

I have two of these: one with and one without the split in the handle. My sense is that these splits are as common as those typically found on New Standards and Tuckaways. I shave with the one that has the split and there has been no increase in the length or width of the split.

jim

I have three of the four listed above. I am missing the 1928 Chrome box version....
I shave with my 1921 often. It's a fabulous shave and I like the beefier handle.

So if I can read Achim's post correctly the Big Fellow production ran from 1919 to 1930 as one long continuous production run with a few variations in head style?

Top Bottom