What's new

Big Blades

I prefer big blades as I find them easier to maintain a consistant angle on my face, and I also much prefer how they feel when stropping as opposed to a 5/8 or below.

Bigger blades are closer to the golden ratio. They just look better.

Since 15/8 razors are rare, we have to put up with 8/8 or smaller.

Bigger blades are closer to the golden ratio. They just look better.

Since 15/8 razors are rare, we have to put up with 8/8 or smaller.

1:1.61803399

So a 15/8 blade would be close to the golden ratio for a 3" long blade. But that is nearly 2" wide! That is a long way from 8/8 (1"). Are multiples of the golden mean also considered attractive balances? So a 15/16 blade would be just about the 1/2 multiple <---is that even english?

Is there anything to the golden ratio other than appearance? Maybe load-bearing qualities or something? My understanding is that it is just a visually pleasing ratio of height to width. Is it a universally accepted ratio? Do people of different cultures find the same proportions pleasing? And is it just height and width? Or is a fruit bowl with 9 oranges and 6 apples more visually pleasing than one with 9 oranges and 5, or 7, apples?

So a 15/8 blade would be close to the golden ratio for a 3" long blade. But that is nearly 2" wide! That is a long way from 8/8 (1"). Are multiples of the golden mean also considered attractive balances? So a 15/16 blade would be just about the 1/2 multiple <---is that even english?

Is there anything to the golden ratio other than appearance? Maybe load-bearing qualities or something? My understanding is that it is just a visually pleasing ratio of height to width. Is it a universally accepted ratio? Do people of different cultures find the same proportions pleasing? And is it just height and width? Or is a fruit bowl with 9 oranges and 6 apples more visually pleasing than one with 9 oranges and 5, or 7, apples?

My head hurts...

I think the answer is 42

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
This 8/8 Bartmann actually scares me. When the dealer showed it to me I gasped.
proxy.php

I hate big blades. My face is too small to accommodate them. 4/8, or at most 5/8, would be my preferred size

I like the heft of a bigger blade, it mows down the hair with the same ease as the smaller ones but it makes me concentrate a bit more and simply feels better in my grip.

That's exactly what I like the most in the big blades. I have thick beard and I feel that small full hollow blades don't suit me. Shaving with big blades, or medium-sized wedges makes it easier for me.
That's why most of my favorite blades are big and the little wedges I have also see plenty of game time like the Le Grelot quarter ground and a vintage TI also quarter grind/near wedge.

Big blades work just like smaller ones for me. A little more time spent setting up a pass, a little less time spent rinsing the blade. It balances out. I'm not a huge wedge fan, so my 9/8" Wedge doesn't see much use, but my 17/16" Hollow ground Wosty is a really nice shave.

They cost more because they are rarer and some people like/collect them. Some people also enjoy the shaves more for a variety of reasons. Personally the only real big thing I notice is less rinses and a bit easier to set an angle.

Top Bottom